• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Josh Johnson gets 8M guaranteed from Padres

Scott34

Great deal for the Padres. If he sucks no big deal. If he does well  he could easily be the best SP available at the deadline. At 8 mil he a much better risk than blanton.  

Also if he doesn't start at least 7 games the Padres get a 2nd year option for only $4 million.

Padres will have turned their attention to the offensive side of things now that their pitching staff is more than set.  At first glance, they have a shot at supriring some folks.  Quentin, Headley, Gyorko, Alonso, Evereth Cabrera, Will Veneable.  The team can score some runs.  Who know what they'll get from Cam Maybin...

It's definitely an offense in need of additional thump and Trumbo is certainly one low cost option to supply that, but what is SD willing to pay?  All their starters are under control from 2-4 years with the exception of Johnson and with Cashner, you have to figure an extension is coming in a hurry.  So they'll need pitching prospects that are mostly in A+/AA right now.  

Luckily for the Angels, the Padres have a GLUT of starting pitchers to go with their already 8-deep rotation.  Fried, Wisler, Sampson, Roach, Ross, Eflin and Andriese. 

You have to figure they'll hold onto their high reward arms like Max Fried and Keyvius Sampson.  But Wisler, Roach and Andriese should be available.  It'd be smart for the Angels to try and get someone closer to the majors for the purpose of depth and one of these prospects in return.

If the Angels could swing Trumbo for Cory Luebke and Matt Wisler, I think that'd be a deal that could work out for both sides.  

The definition of low risk is increasing in price each year and I definitely think this is low risk. 

Worst case is he doesn't do well and the Padres lose out on a short term deal. If he does well and stays healthy, he's going to provide cheap value for them and possibly be a trade chip later in the year. Solid signing for them. 

Players that sign early... particularly before the winter meetings, usually are paid more than expected, hence the reason they sign. What player will sign a bargain deal so early in the offseason?

Agree with the others that stated this will have no effect on what Vargas gets. Rarely does a 1 year deal have an effect on the market.

Edited by xboom28x

Padres will have turned their attention to the offensive side of things now that their pitching staff is more than set.  At first glance, they have a shot at supriring some folks.  Quentin, Headley, Gyorko, Alonso, Evereth Cabrera, Will Veneable.  The team can score some runs.  Who know what they'll get from Cam Maybin...

It's definitely an offense in need of additional thump and Trumbo is certainly one low cost option to supply that, but what is SD willing to pay?  All their starters are under control from 2-4 years with the exception of Johnson and with Cashner, you have to figure an extension is coming in a hurry.  So they'll need pitching prospects that are mostly in A+/AA right now.  

Luckily for the Angels, the Padres have a GLUT of starting pitchers to go with their already 8-deep rotation.  Fried, Wisler, Sampson, Roach, Ross, Eflin and Andriese. 

You have to figure they'll hold onto their high reward arms like Max Fried and Keyvius Sampson.  But Wisler, Roach and Andriese should be available.  It'd be smart for the Angels to try and get someone closer to the majors for the purpose of depth and one of these prospects in return.

If the Angels could swing Trumbo for Cory Luebke and Matt Wisler, I think that'd be a deal that could work out for both sides.  

Scott, I think Luebke would require a lot more than Trumbo. For the record I like Luebke and would love to have him but he is signed 2015 with two club options for 2016 and 2017. If all were exercised it would be $25,750,000. Four years of control of a top end pitcher (and he was on his way to being that before the injury) is worth more than Trumbo.

However I agree that Wisler plus something else would be a reasonable return for Mark.

Luebke will be getting more expensive and is in the process of rehabbing from a major surgery. I think that he and Wisler would've right around the Angels asking price for Trumbo. But as you indicated, it's whether or not the padres would be willing to pay it.

Don't get me wrong I really hope you're right! I'll give you a fat, wet kiss if you're right! :P

Luebke would be a major steal if it happened assuming he returns to a semblance of his former self.