• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Phillies interested in Peter Bourjos

SoWhat

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/washington-nationals-jordan-zimmermann-ian-desmond-contract-extensions-high-price-111713

"The Phillies have a long-standing interest in Peter Bourjos and would love to have him, but they don't have the young pitching the Angels would want back in a trade, FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports. The Phils would have to get a third team involved to work out a deal, or forget Bourjos entirely and focus on other outfield candidates; Rosenthal suggests Grady Sizemore as a bench possibility."

Edited by SoWhat

cliff lee and a bunch of cash for pete.

obviously alone, that wouldn't happen.

But as a starting point, that's not a bad idea.

I know people will say we're selling low, already too many big contractsb etc etc (which is all true). But (and as a big bourjos fan) pbj doesn't really have a position at this point. Meaning that he is replaceable in the outfield. Lee would be a good grab for the short term (next two years) while we work on getting another guy or two into the advanced minors that can pitch.

Do that, sign an arroyo/vargas type, then add teo decent bullpen guys....and we're a ball team again.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/washington-nationals-jordan-zimmermann-ian-desmond-contract-extensions-high-price-111713

"The Phillies have a long-standing interest in Peter Bourjos and would love to have him, but they don't have the young pitching the Angels would want back in a trade, FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports. The Phils would have to get a third team involved to work out a deal, or forget Bourjos entirely and focus on other outfield candidates; Rosenthal suggests Grady Sizemore as a bench possibility."

Brilliant Rosenthal. Maybe someone should tell Ken that Sizemore hasn't played a single game in 2 years. Not even in an independent league game.

I know people will say we're selling low, already too many big contractsb etc etc (which is all true). But (and as a big bourjos fan) pbj doesn't really have a position at this point. Meaning that he is replaceable in the outfield. Lee would be a good grab for the short term (next two years) while we work on getting another guy or two into the advanced minors that can pitch.

Do that, sign an arroyo/vargas type, then add teo decent bullpen guys....and we're a ball team again.

This team isnt a cliff lee away from contending.  I say maybe 4 or 5 years it will take for them to contend again assuming they have some decent drafts.  They need to seriously clean house now and stop taking more big contracts from old players.  

I am a big fan of Petey as well.  Getting a pitcher like Lee is not selling low.  However, the Phillies would have to throw in a lot of cash to make it affordable for the Angels.  Petey has a position:  CF and Trout can play LF.  However, since Trout's natural position is CF Petey is definitely expendable.  Use him to get a quality pitcher.  Do not trade him just to dump him.  That would be stupid!

This team isnt a cliff lee away from contending. I say maybe 4 or 5 years it will take for them to contend again assuming they have some decent drafts. They need to seriously clean house now and stop taking more big contracts from old players.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll cancel getting tickets.

cliff lee and a bunch of cash for pete.

According to my calculations the Phillies would need to eat about $40,000,000+. This is assuming Petey puts up 2.4 WAR in 2014, 3.1 WAR in 2015, and 3.5 WAR in 2016 (all at slightly escalating rates of 5.25 million/WAR in 2014, 5.6 million/WAR in 2015, and 6 million/WAR in 2016). Peter should make approximately $18.1 million in arbitration salaries over that 3-year time period (this is an estimate only).

Lee will make $62.5 over the next two years (including the buyout of his 2016 option). I am assuming that Lee will post a 4.6 WAR in 2014 and a 4.1 WAR in 2015. The third option year has very little impact on this trade because Lee would be projected to post a 3.6 WAR in 2016 and at $25,000,000 salary his value only increases by about $8-9 million which, considering his high salary, is almost a pittance in this scenario.

Now take this all with a grain of salt. WAR is not a perfect stat. The value and health of both players certainly has room to be argued up and down. I'm simply saying that the Phillies would need to eat a lot of cash for this to make sense from a value perspective. Alternatively the Phillies could add prospects like Maikel Franco or Jesse Biddle to bring the total cash value down, perhaps even negating any transfer of cash period depending on who they throw in.

Bottom line is Cliff Lee is a good pitcher with a massive salary and Peter is a good CF with a really low arbitration salary. I still think we would be selling low on Peter, although the Phillies GM seems to be a guy who you could maximize value on.

This team isnt a cliff lee away from contending. I say maybe 4 or 5 years it will take for them to contend again assuming they have some decent drafts. They need to seriously clean house now and stop taking more big contracts from old players.

Yeah you're right. The offense is a mess. Lee with weaver and wilson wouldn't be a dexent rotation.

What was I thinking?

Lee would probably make more via free agency. Why would the Phillies pick up salary?

Lee's value right now is slightly negative, so your first statement probably isn't true, although the influx of new MLB money might make it slightly true. The Phillies would have to pick up salary in a Bourjos trade simply because the value and cash savings they are gaining are so tremendous that absorbing a large part of his salary would be mandatory to balance the value out.

Of course you can debate how WAR is calculated and relative value of players up or down but it is pretty clear that the Phillies would have to eat a lot of money no matter how you slice it.

They have repeatedly said they wouldn't pick up any of Lee's salary.  And the blueprint has already been laid by the Doggies.  If you want him, you will pay.

GB, just because someone says something doesn't make it a reality. Robinson Cano wants $305 million but he won't get it.... not even close in my opinion.

According to my calculations the Phillies would need to eat about $40,000,000+. This is assuming Petey puts up 2.4 WAR in 2014, 3.1 WAR in 2015, and 3.5 WAR in 2016 (all at slightly escalating rates of 5.25 million/WAR in 2014, 5.6 million/WAR in 2015, and 6 million/WAR in 2016). Peter should make approximately $18.1 million in arbitration salaries over that 3-year time period (this is an estimate only).

Lee will make $62.5 over the next two years (including the buyout of his 2016 option). I am assuming that Lee will post a 4.6 WAR in 2014 and a 4.1 WAR in 2015. The third option year has very little impact on this trade because Lee would be projected to post a 3.6 WAR in 2016 and at $25,000,000 salary his value only increases by about $8-9 million which, considering his high salary, is almost a pittance in this scenario.

Now take this all with a grain of salt. WAR is not a perfect stat. The value and health of both players certainly has room to be argued up and down. I'm simply saying that the Phillies would need to eat a lot of cash for this to make sense from a value perspective. Alternatively the Phillies could add prospects like Maikel Franco or Jesse Biddle to bring the total cash value down, perhaps even negating any transfer of cash period depending on who they throw in.

Bottom line is Cliff Lee is a good pitcher with a massive salary and Peter is a good CF with a really low arbitration salary. I still think we would be selling low on Peter, although the Phillies GM seems to be a guy who you could maximize value on.

You do know PB had a 4 WAR in his only full season of play!