• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels interested in Arroyo

Scott34

If the Angels had a pair of league average pitchers last season instead of Hanson and Blanton they very well could have found themselves in second place in the AL West. Too much is made of .25 ERA differences between average pitchers when what the Angels put out there were ERA's 2 points above league average.

Fill the holes with a couple of league average pitchers, restock the bullpen with one lights out reliever and maybe a 7th inning arm and sit back and watch Trout and company take care of the rest.

Preach it...

2 of Arroyo, Haren, and Vargas at less than $20 M combined for 2014, plus trading one of Aybar, Kendrick, plus trading Trumbo or Iannetta for younger pitching who should be ready in two years when these guys are done, or supplant them if not performing is the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

If we sign Tanaka, I'm content with Arroyo.

If we sign Garza, I don't feel as confident. Arroyo is nice because he'll eat a ton of innings and he most likely isn't going to be awful. We don't need a stud starting pitcher at the back end, just a guy who will be close to league average.

Hughes is my first choice for that 4 spot but Arroyo wouldn't be terrible either.

What we need in the rotation is for our 4 and 5 guys to be some of the worst pitchers in baseball.

I'm confident that Richards can be at least a 2 WAR guy, which would be a huge improvement over Hanson or Blanton.

Finding another back end guy to be better than those 2 shouldn't be too problematic.

The AL averages .33 more runs per game.  Or about 7-8% more per nine innings. 

Arroyo has had a high 3's era for a fairly consistent 4 of the last 5 years.  He had an aberration year where he got hammered. 

So what do you go by?

Cinnci field is actually a mild pitchers park other than the fact that it's a launching pad for hrs.

If you use BR, his GB/FB ratio indicates he's a fly ball pitcher, but they include line drives as fly balls.

If you look at fangraphs, he's neutral to more of a GB pitcher because they don't use line drives. 

What does that mean?  He gives up a ton of hrs and line drives yet he isn't truly a fly ball pitcher. 

you know who else was like this to almost a very scary degree?  

Yes, that's right - Mr. Joe Blanton. 

It's odd that we thought he was a fly ball pitcher.  BR had him at a 0.80 GB/FB ratio yet if you exclude line drives like FG does, you get a career 1.25 ratio. 

Steer clear of this guy big time

Here is also some interesting info:

Jered Weaver has a 47.5% fly ball rate EXCLUDING line drives over the last 5 years, which is top 3 in all of baseball 

You know who is just below him?  Phil Hughes at 46.6%

Weaver's LD rate is 19.2%.  Hughes is 20.3%

you know where they diverge?  Weaver's hr/fb rate is 7.7% and Hughes is 10.6% and Weaver's BABIP is .262 and Hughes is .293. 

The more I see of Hughes peripherals, the more I like him.  He's truly a fly ball pitcher.  All of those things that we claimed were possible advantages to Blanton by moving to our team are ACTUAL advantages to Hughes. 

Arroyo is a bomb waiting to explode. 

Definitely agree with you about Hughes Doc.

I like him more and more as I look at his numbers. Yankee Stadium literally killed him and a move to Angels Stadium will neutralize a lot of those home runs that barely cleared the fence at Yankee Stadium. If you can get Hughes on a 2 year deal, that would be awesome. Think he's a great buy low guy.

Arroyo isn't my preference but if we did sign him, I would only go 1 year, which doesn't sound like it'll happen. His walk rate has always been fantastic and although he's had 2 decent years in a row, he's been brutally bad a few times in the past.

Count me in for wanting Tanaka and Hughes and possibly Arroyo if one those 2 don't sign but only if it's a 1 year deal.

Edited by Angels_Baseball