• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scratch Hudson off the list

Richard

All I read on these boards is we need young pitching with club controlled years left.

I hope these aren't the same people that are now bummed we didn't get Hudson.

We do need young, cost controlled pitching.   We also need guys that can help this team win now,  Getting one doesn't keep the team from obtaining the other..  

Edited by Inside Pitch

So spend $12M/per on a guy who will be 39 next year and whose ERA has gone up each of the last 4 years to almost 4.00 in the NL?

Excuse me if I believe we just dodged a bullet.

You forgot to mention how his 1.167 WHip over that span was lower than all but 2 of his seasons in the previous ten years between his age 23-33 seasons..  Your usage of his ERA while ignoring all the actual stats that would be predictive in nature is curious.

I hear Kent Bottenfield put up a career best ERA as a starter the year before we traded for him.

Edited by Inside Pitch

You forgot to mention how his 1.167 WHip over that span was lower than all but 2 of his seasons in the previous ten years between his age 23-33 seasons..  Your usage of his ERA while ignoring all the actual stats that would be predictive in nature is curious.

I hear Kent Bottenfield put up a career best ERA as a starter the year before we traded for him.

Ignoring his age is even worse

Ignoring his age is even worse

Being wary of his ankle injury is probably a smarter bet than worrying about his age impacting his ability to throw 89 MPH sinkers or 80 MPH splitters.  His skill set is one where the usual concerns about his age aren't as worrisome as other pitchers.  The fact that his peripherals are in line with what they were at age 25 speaks volumes.

FTR, I wasn't bashing your opinion.. just happen to think looking at ERA while ignoring things like H/9, HR/9, BB/9 etc etc is myopic.  At the end of the day, signing or not signing Hudson doesn't make or break this offseason.

Edited by Inside Pitch

A timely article full of actual facts...

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/tim-hudson-heads-west-joins-giants/

For comparison, here’s how Hudson’s .292 wOBA allowed compares to other notable free agent pitchers on the market:

Tim Hudson: .292
Ervin Santana: .294
Ubaldo Jimenez: .305
Ricky Nolasco: .306
Matt Garza: .312
Bronson Arroyo: .318
Scott Kazmir: .323

Edited by Inside Pitch

Could work for the SF Giants...........Hudson pitched well for Atlanta last year until that horrendous ankle injury that he suffered.

Let's see if that changes his delivery (shades of Dizzy Dean's injury way back when -- for most here -- Dean hurt his leg and changed his delivery to accommodate and it hurt his arm and effectively ended his pitching career).

$23 million for two years.........not bad.

a pretty good flyer...........

A timely article full of actual facts...

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/tim-hudson-heads-west-joins-giants/

For comparison, here’s how Hudson’s .292 wOBA allowed compares to other notable free agent pitchers on the market:

Tim Hudson: .292

Ervin Santana: .294

Ubaldo Jimenez: .305

Ricky Nolasco: .306

Matt Garza: .312

Bronson Arroyo: .318

Scott Kazmir: .323

Yeah, that's even more impressive when about 50 AB's were against pitchers and another 15-20 AB's were against slappy pinch hitters.

Switching back to AL at age 39 on a 2 year deal at $12M per is not a sound investment. But, neither have the last 3-5 FA signings so maybe we should just add to the heaping pile of old guys on this team already.

Yeah, that's even more impressive when about 50 AB's were against pitchers and another 15-20 AB's were against slappy pinch hitters.

Switching back to AL at age 39 on a 2 year deal at $12M per is not a sound investment. But, neither have the last 3-5 FA signings so maybe we should just add to the heaping pile of old guys on this team already.

That's great!!!

Still doesn't change that using ERA to try to predict future results is really pretty stupid.