• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Apple - don't believe the hype

yk9001

For years I heard it - "Oh, you got to get apple" for our computer (I already have an ipod, but my phone is a droid, and I like it fine).

So my wife and I needed a new computer.  We got a Mac Book.  Seemed like a good idea, because both of us recently got our parents old home slides, and we are going to convert the slides into a dvd for siblings for christmas present.

Problem 1: The dvd player didn't work.  Fine, that could happen to any pc manufacturer employing child slaves in China.  So scheduled my appointment with the Geniuses at the Genius Bar.

Problem 2: The geniuses were 45 minutes late for the genius bar appointment.  Oh well.  on the other hand, they fixed the problem in 2 days.

Problem 3: Apple is telling us our Image Garden is maxed out at 600 scans.  We deleted some old scans.  Still won't let us scan more.  WTF?

Problem 4: Because Apple are a bunch of douchebags, we have discovered you cannot burn dvds from Iphoto anymore.  But you CAN save it to Icloud.  That is awesome.  Guess who doesn't have icloud?  My 79-year old mom.  Or other family members.  You can't put icloud under the tree.  So we have to buy other software from Amazon (idvd), backdate our computer, *then* install it.  I'm sure they'll be something else going on then.

Apple my ass.

For years I heard it - "Oh, you got to get apple" for our computer (I already have an ipod, but my phone is a droid, and I like it fine).

So my wife and I needed a new computer.  We got a Mac Book.  Seemed like a good idea, because both of us recently got our parents old home slides, and we are going to convert the slides into a dvd for siblings for christmas present.

Problem 1: The dvd player didn't work.  Fine, that could happen to any pc manufacturer employing child slaves in China.  So scheduled my appointment with the Geniuses at the Genius Bar.

Problem 2: The geniuses were 45 minutes late for the genius bar appointment.  Oh well.  on the other hand, they fixed the problem in 2 days.

Problem 3: Apple is telling us our Image Garden is maxed out at 600 scans.  We deleted some old scans.  Still won't let us scan more.  WTF?

Problem 4: Because Apple are a bunch of douchebags, we have discovered you cannot burn dvds from Iphoto anymore.  But you CAN save it to Icloud.  That is awesome.  Guess who doesn't have icloud?  My 79-year old mom.  Or other family members.  You can't put icloud under the tree.  So we have to buy other software from Amazon (idvd), backdate our computer, *then* install it.  I'm sure they'll be something else going on then.

Apple my ass.

Apple products suck. IMO, of course.

Apple my ass.

At least you got to pay about $1000 more than what a pc cost for all that. 

at least it's not as bad as it used to be, but you still get the elitist assholes.

I've had these convos recently:

my laptop crashes, friends says should have got ipad, their ipad crashes, they say it's ok because hardware/software is supposed to die at some point.

had an iPhone, died with an apple software error that wasn't fixable, told by apple they want me to pay to look at it then pay again to have whatever needs to be fixed done, told by apple staff and apple hipsters that it's common and technology changes and to just drop another couple hundred on a new phone. favorite is one apple hipster saying the error was my fault for not backing up or saving data to computer. when they found out it was the apple error they were still protective of apple and coming up with alternate ways of it being my fault their software failed.

Hey, I love all technology, and I don't really expect stuff to be perfect.  I just rolled w it when Apple snobs (including our daughter) told me what ignoramuses we were for having non apple products.

Turns out their stuff is no better.

I am going to have to backdate the frigging date on the computer to install burner software, because Apple decided we should no longer use or burn dvds.  What a bunch of aholes.

Never really understood the apple vs. pc spats.  I bought my current pc over 7 years ago and since then I've added more ram, replaced a video card and replaced a hard drive which didn't cost much considering how long it's lasted.  When it was new it would play any game on the market and it will still play some of the newer ones just not at the highest level performance wise.  If I still played games on a computer I might be inclined to get a new one but any games I play these days are on consoles.  I'll need a new system at some point but I just can't see spending the difference to get an apple but to each their own.  

my home computer is a power mac laptop. i've owned it since '04 and it still works pretty well. i can't update the flash player or watch videos without some major new hardware, but i can still use it to write documents i need for school. i have an ipad for playing around at home and it works fine.

honestly, i can't really complain very much about modern technology and everything it can do. 

I get really sick of the graphic artists, web designers, musicians, photographers, etc who swear up and down that you have to use Apple products to achieve quality work. 

There's tons of Apple cult members who condescendingly look down on people using PC's as lowly amateurs who cannot be taken seriously.  It's really not fair. 

I don't understand the appeal of Apples vs PCs. Windows 7 is the best os out there bar none imo, and PCs are waaaay more customizable, and are compatible with a billion more programs.

What features do apple machines have that could possibly outweigh that?

We have a huge Mac community at work and the conflicts with technologies and just getting it working on the network are insane.  But they all swear by their Macs.  We have hired two Apple Store employees to handle support and they are complete douche bags.  They think they know everything.  I have to have a Mac Book at work because of the ERP applications I support for them.  I mostly use it at home with my daughter because all of the schools only have Macs.  

I do like iPads and I love my iPod.  I recently just bought a new classic iPod.  I didn't need all the features the touch has, I only needed to play music.  

I agree with a previous comment that Windows 7 is awesome.  I thought XP was great but 7 has taken over it nicely.  I do not like 8 though and Server 2012.  

As a sidenote, as I was waiting for my Genius to help me, I observed another genius helping a guy with his Ipad.  The genius non-condescendingly asked if dude had an iphone (compatability, etc).

The guy all but apologized, pulling out his non-Iphone, saying he had to have it for work, not what he really wanted.  He couldn't have been more embarrassed if he let out a big fart.

Sheeple.

Here's something that nobody talks about.

The Apple iPad program in public schools makes young, defenseless children a target of thieves for the technology they carry in their backpacks.  No parent in their right mind would allow their kid to walk to school with $600 cash, but there's seemingly little concern about the $600 iPad in their backpacks.  At a recent LAUSD board meeting, parents expressing the same concerns were told that a stolen iPad "has no value" because LAUSD can remotely brick it. 

I guess the school district goons are unaware that a bricked iPad is still valuable for parts, such as the cameras, screen, and battery to the tune of $200-300? 

I had a Mac laptop for years. One of the original MacBook Pros. The thing was awesome. Survived everything I threw at it. Trips around the world, through dust storms, ice, rain, snow, backpacking in Patagonia...it was dropped, wine spilled on it, optical drive snagged on something and cracked, damn cover wouldn't even close all the way (see dropped). But it kept on ticking, through all that crap. We finally had to get a new laptop because the latest version of Adobe Lightroom didn't work on the latest version of the OS we could install on a Mac that old.

So, we broke down and picked up a laptop and decided to give Windows 8 a try. I have a Windows 8 desktop and it works fine...not a fan of Windows 8, but applications are applications so we figured what the hell. Luckily MicroCenter has 15 day guarantee no restocking fee. 14 days after purchasing it and taking it on it's first road trip we packed the laptop up, returned it, and bought a new Mac laptop. It felt cheap, the keyboard was iffy, the trackboard was a friggen nightmare, and while touchscreen was nice, once you got in to the applications there really wasn't much of a point to it.

As for the Apple Store...that is a huge douchecanoe...I think the employees there might out douche those that work at gourmet coffee houses.