• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

12 Years a Slave

Anyone see it? What did you think?

I saw it last night and I really expected it to do the autobiography justice but I ended up leaving the theatre disappointed. The movie did a great job of depicting slavery's deplorable conditions and many of the scenes were quite harrowing, particularly the scene in which Solomon is beaten the morning after being kidnapped. However, I thought it was in effective in showing the passing of time and Solomon's internal struggles. Also, the A-list cameos felt almost self-indulgent and the histrionic language was irritating at times. I really wanted to love it but I'm sure it will sweep the Oscars.

I really thought this movie was great and one of the best of the year. Though I'll grant it though that I have not read the book. I do however agree that the passage of time was a fault as that was the one criticism that popped in my head a bit while watching (well one of them, Brad Pitt was another).

But overall, I don't think the performances were  self-indulgent at all. Ejiofor did so much of his acting with just his eyes, definitely deserves some recognition come award time. Thought Fassbender was pretty much just as good as well in his role. It's definitely director Steve McQueen's most accessible film yet but not in a negative way. Finally able to put forth a narrative as his focal point rather than just style and visuals, though I am a fan of his stuff prior.