• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Headley

Hubs

Richards is so highly regarded. I like the guy, but really?

He's a 26 year old starter who's never pitched a whole season in the rotation, and has never had an ERA under 4.

In this plan, I had the Angels acquiring two young starters for AAA for 2014, ready for the rotation in 2015. And signing Dan Haren, Jason Vargas, and Bronson Arroyo (or Roy Halladay) for 1 or 2 year deals. 

Why is this so universally panned?

I have them unloading $27 Million in projected salary, but also taking on $35. Not horrible. They've said in the past they needed to be blown away to trade Headley but I was hoping to get him for less.

You all are forgetting one very important thing about Headley.

Career home: .243/.334/.373

Career away from Petco: .293/.366/.453

So this helps him if he goes to a hitters' park, say Texas or Colorado.

Anaheim will not help him much, if at all. Certainly not enough to make him worth what will have to be shipped San Diego's way.

Let the Chase go. He's not worth it.

You all are forgetting one very important thing about Headley.

Career home: .243/.334/.373

Career away from Petco: .293/.366/.453

2013: 122 wRC+ Home 104 wRC+ Away

I love the idea of Headley at 3rd base for us next year. Steamer projects him to be a 3.5 win player but it's not necessarily a need and I'm not sure who we would trade anyways. I'd rather use our resources to get pitching back and hope a Green/Jimenez/Romine platoon at 3rd can just be ok. 

Richards is so highly regarded. I like the guy, but really?

He's a 26 year old starter who's never pitched a whole season in the rotation, and has never had an ERA under 4.

In this plan, I had the Angels acquiring two young starters for AAA for 2014, ready for the rotation in 2015. And signing Dan Haren, Jason Vargas, and Bronson Arroyo (or Roy Halladay) for 1 or 2 year deals. 

Why is this so universally panned?

I have them unloading $27 Million in projected salary, but also taking on $35. Not horrible. They've said in the past they needed to be blown away to trade Headley but I was hoping to get him for less.

Halladay ERA 6.82

Haren ERA 4.67

Please explain why Halladay or Haren are in the conversation? Both are at the end of their careers, why sign another Blanton?

Blanton doesn't have a Cy Young, let alone 5 Cy Youngs. 

Halladay clearly wasn't the same pitcher as in previous seasons, but it's called a risk. He's not going to cost a lot.

Haren showed good peripheral stats, especially in the second half and he's only 33. Pitchers can have success into their later thirties. He'd also sign for a $8 M on a one year deal. Or perhaps less AAV on a two year deal.

Young controllable and also projectable and dependable starters are going to cost a lot in trade. Young pitchers who have issues (like Hanson) won't cost much but won't give you reliable results either. I'd rather go through the FA market than adding guys who don't have a solid track record or who aren't top flight starter prospects.

Do we want two more Garrett Richards rounding out the rotation? Not on a playoff team. 

The A's do well with young pitching but partly due to their park, and partly due to selling off high priced assets and also collecting draft picks when their FA become FA.

Do we think Howie Kendrick is going to bring a top flight starter? Iannetta? Trumbo? Aybar?

What they'll get for these guys is a lot less than people hope for. Why not take a chance on dependable veterans (on short term contracts) instead?

Blanton doesn't have a Cy Young, let alone 5 Cy Youngs. 

Halladay clearly wasn't the same pitcher as in previous seasons, but it's called a risk. He's not going to cost a lot.

Haren showed good peripheral stats, especially in the second half and he's only 33. Pitchers can have success into their later thirties. He'd also sign for a $8 M on a one year deal. Or perhaps less AAV on a two year deal.

Young controllable and also projectable and dependable starters are going to cost a lot in trade. Young pitchers who have issues (like Hanson) won't cost much but won't give you reliable results either. I'd rather go through the FA market than adding guys who don't have a solid track record or who aren't top flight starter prospects.

Do we want two more Garrett Richards rounding out the rotation? Not on a playoff team. 

The A's do well with young pitching but partly due to their park, and partly due to selling off high priced assets and also collecting draft picks when their FA become FA.

Do we think Howie Kendrick is going to bring a top flight starter? Iannetta? Trumbo? Aybar?

What they'll get for these guys is a lot less than people hope for. Why not take a chance on dependable veterans (on short term contracts) instead?

I actually completely understand your line of thinking and I think you're just as likely to be correct in what is best for the team as any of us. However I think the idea is that the Angels are tight on money this offseason. While this is unproven, it is a reasonable expectation and that makes trading for pitchers the more likely scenario.

I think most people believe that the best any of the players you listed would get INDIVIDUALLY in a trade would be a decent number 3. But in a package deal, they could absolutely land a legit number 2/3 starter which is exactly what the team needs.