• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Top Reasons Not to Trade Trumbo: A FanGirl Manifesto

AngelsWin.com

Jess, no hard feelings. Keep it up, I hope to see some in-depth analysis on the team from you.

For the record, Jessica is our feature writer for fun types of columns, her angles on the content she writes for us is much different than say, Greg Bird, Jonathan Northrop or Robert Cunningham who do focus on player analysis and stats.

I take pride in the fact that as a website we offer all different types of feature content, not just player analysis and trade posts.

Jessica's Buttercup column this past year had the most web hits and LIKES/retweets than any other article we've posted in 2013.

One thing I expect from you Halos of Anaheim, and everyone else here, is to show respect and thanks toward our writers and contributors, whether you agree with their written material or not. They took the time to write for us, the least you can do is show some appreciation. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing, but you must do it Respectfully and in a manner in which isn't a slam on our writers or members who contribute.

Thanks! I use that analogy enough in real life that I thought it would be fun to see what it really came out to be.

Did you know, that MLBTraderumors.com estimated what Trumbo would make in arbitration this year?  Trumbo is estimated to get $4.7 million.  So he's worth his weight in gold.

Edited by gotbeer

For those of you waiting for serious, in depth analysis from me, it's just not the kind of writing I do for AngelsWIn and that has nothing whatsoever to do with gender and more with my writing style.  Plus, the writers who do those posts here are epic and don't need any help.  I have a good time writing fun, observational columns.  If you guys don't want to read that kind of a column, then don't.  However, if you like taking a break from stats and analysis every once in a while I hope you'll continue to read and comment on my posts.

As always, thanks to Chuck and Geoff for having me!

Jesus, brutal comments.  Give her a break.  It was an original, unique article.  I liked it! (though I don't agree with the premise :) )

She says in the beginning that it is not an unbiased article, and the thread title tells you the slant of it. I doubt that Dipoto is taking a copy to the winter meetings in his pocket.

For those of you waiting for serious, in depth analysis from me, it's just not the kind of writing I do for AngelsWIn and that has nothing whatsoever to do with gender and more with my writing style. Plus, the writers who do those posts here are epic and don't need any help. I have a good time writing fun, observational columns. If you guys don't want to read that kind of a column, then don't. However, if you like taking a break from stats and analysis every once in a while I hope you'll continue to read and comment on my posts.

As always, thanks to Chuck and Geoff for having me!

ok....my apologies. I'm too used to reading fangraphs articles, which usually look like an algebra lecture

Did I miss a cameo appearance from Jesus?

Anyhow, I think the article makes a good point - that the value of a player goes beyond their on-the-field performance and stats. That said, I'd rather see Trumbo traded than Bourjos for a few reasons:

- When healthy, Bourjos is a better player

- Bourjos makes the team better defensively and that was a huge problem in 2013

- Trumbo probably has more trade value because of his consistency and health

And it probably doesn't hurt that...

- Bourjos is pretty cute, too

Anyhow, I think Trumbo is overall a bit over-rated by Angels Nation. At some point we have to let of the hope that he's going to turn into a star, hit .270+ and 40 HR...I mean, it could happen, but he's shown little to no signs of development in three full years and he's going to be 28 in 2014.

If anything I think Trumbo is the ideal candidate to trade. He doesn't have a position so we lose nothing defensively. I think Calhoun will out produce Trumbo offensively and is better defensively and on the base paths. 

I have far more confidence on Calhoun replacing Trumbo's offensive production next season than Lindsey or Green replacing Kendrick's. When defense is added to the equation it makes it that Trumbo is the most replaceable starting position player the Angel's have.

I am all for keeping our homegrown players and using farmhands to build a championship team. That is how it is done. A mixture of homegrown talent free agents that fill a need. The Cardinals are great example of how it is done. I am tired of seeing our farmhands in the playoffs for other teams. Especially when there was almost zero return of talent when we helped the Rangers get to the World Series. The redfux as well. If we are going to trade Trumbo we need REAL value in return. AAA depth is not enough in my mind. I don't expect to get Michael Wacha but I don't expect Arron harang either.

The Red Sox this season only had 3 starters in the lineup that were home grown. Their entire bullpen were free agents.

In 2007 they only had 2 home grown players on the starting roster, Youkilis and Pedroia. Only Lester and Papelbaum were a home grown part of a free agent pitching staff.

In 2004 there was not a single payer in the starting lineup from the Red Sox system, they had traded Nomar to Cincinnati. Not one starting pitcher was a Red Sox nor were there any as part of their every day bullpen.

The Red Sox are not the blueprint for building successfully from within.

mancini79, Angels_Baseball, Glen  Thanks, I think having fun every once in a great while is a good idea ;)

Angelsunky - I'd love to keep Bourjos too (In a perfect world I'd give back Pujols and Hamilton and keep both Trumbo and Bourjos).

Splint7438 - I'd like to see more focus on player development too.

Mudville - I think Splint7438 meant players we've given up on / traded ended up helping the Red Sox this year, not that they use home grown players (I could be reading that wrong!)...The Sox this year were kind of a weird team, and coming off the last few years of llama drama they've been involved in...they're not really a model for team building.  It will be interesting to see how their organization develops from here on out, though.

We didn't give the Red Sox any of our players. The Sox bought Lackey and he sucked for two years for them, one year he completely missed. It's a good thing the Angels hadn't blown money trying to out bid them. Napoli came via Texas giving up on him. It is not as though the Angels are facilitating their success.

I really enjoyed this article Jess. Good job! We definitely need more articles like this around here just to keep the mood up.

I would actually be torn to see Trumbo go in a trade. I think he still has more that he can do with the bat and would like to see him show it locally. He signed my eldest son's first autograph, so my boys will miss him. And, we went to the same high school (although years apart) so, he has some significance to me.

For me, it would all depend on the haul we got for him. Unlike many, I do not underestimate his value (never did, going back all the way when we ranked him highly as a prospect when so many did not). But, winning cures everything g and if we get some of the pitching that we desperately need to make the post season, I would reluctantly do the trade.