• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How About a 12 Year Deal for Trout?

YouthofToday

Boras publicly proposed the concept to the Nationals for Harper in August? http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/28/scott-boras-is-all-for-12-year-contracts/

Say Trout makes roughly $60 million in arbitration. An AAV of $30 million is quite realistic if he reaches free agency. Comes out to a 12 year, $300 million deal.

Trout is an Angel through his age 33 season. Does anybody NOT think this is a total Angels win here?

Edited by YouthofToday

Can't see Trout signing a 12 year deal.  I think he would like to sign a 2nd contract near age 30, keeping FA option open when he is still in his prime.  8 years 200 million, 12 years 300 million. after 60-70 million what does another 40-50 million even matter.  How much can one even spend in one lifetime.  Once he gets set for life with the 1st contract I would think he would like to keep his options open to play for rings.  Money first, rings second.

Trout missing out on the MVP Award the last two season may have saved the team millions of dollars. I'm all for a long extension but 12 years? I would love to see a seven year deal get done ASAP!

No MVP's

No Gold Gloves

No 200 Hit seasons

No 100 RBI seasons

No 1.000 OPS seasons

No outfield assists in 2013

More K's than BB's

:P A 12 year deal? 

There really is no possible way to determine Trout's value since in the modern age (post steroid era) what he's doing is unprecedented.  In fact it's rare for any era.  But since this is the case I'd say you ask him and his agent what he wants and then give it to him. 

If Trout only wants to sign a deal buying out his arbitration years, do it, because by the time he reaches his final year of arbitration he could be making 30 million anyway.  If Trout wants to sign a deal buying out two  years of free agency then do it.  The longer the better.  If Trout want to sign a 50 year extension than do it.  He's so good at this game he'll probably be valuable for 40% of it, which might be more than we can say for Pujols. 

So, you would rather lose him? Because he will get possibly the richest deal in baseball history if he makes it to free agency. I truly think you have to start at 10 years with Trout and work your way up.

Strad,  we all want Mike Trout to stay but.......We have no idea about what Mike Trout wants to do.

We have no idea about what motivates him personally. It's not always about money.

He might want to be closer to his family or his hometown.

He might actually covet playing in a newer type stadium or a hitters ballpark.

He might want to play for the Yankees, Red Sox or Dodgers because of their tradition and history.

He may not like the future look of our team if Pujols and Hamilton continue to fail.

To assume that we could just buy Mike Trout's happiness with money is using poor judgement.

Mike Trout is a winner and he might not want to stay and hang around players who continually phone it in.  

Edited by Hamiltown

Strad, we all want Mike Trout to stay but.......We have no idea about what Mike Trout wants to do.

We have no idea about what motivates him personally. It's not always about money.

He might want to be closer to his family or his hometown.

He might actually covet playing in a newer type stadium or a hitters ballpark.

He might want to play for the Yankees, Red Sox or Dodgers because of their tradition and history.

He may not like the future look of our team if Pujols and Hamilton continue to fail.

To assume that we could just buy Mike Trout's happiness with money is using poor judgement.

Mike Trout is a winner and he might not want to stay and hang around players who continually phone it in.

Yes, he might want all of those things, that is exactly why you offer him a contract that is literally too difficult to pass up. If you do that I would imagine you increase your chances of changing his mind on where he wants to live or who he wants to play for. I love Mike Trout, but to pretend like the players around him phoned it in rather than just had bad seasons or were hurt, is ignorant. I am sure your boy YoT will have some Mike Trout Will to Win Over Aging Veterans Stat that will give you failo wood. I am assuming in your mind Mike Trout phoned it in late in games in the clutch? I am sure every single one of us is aware that whether or not Mike stays here is 100% up to Mike, because we all know that when it comes time to pay him Arte will do the right thing.

12 years is a long time, and I would think teams wouldn't want to carry that much risk if it weren't necessary. But then there was the Albert deal.

As far as Trout is concerned. I don't think Trout would want his first contract to be that long. I believe he would be more apt to taking a six or seven year deal assuring himself of comfortable money while still allowing for another monster contract before he turns thirty. However, like someone said earlier in the thread, who knows what's in the boys head?     

Trout will sign where he WANTS to play. If he chooses to play close to his hometown, then no contract the Angels could offer would sway him. He will be a filthy rich man with any team. I'm just going to enjoy watching him play in a Halo uniform without worrying about a contract extension.

At least this year anyways

Yes, he might want all of those things, that is exactly why you offer him a contract that is literally too difficult to pass up. If you do that I would imagine you increase your chances of changing his mind on where he wants to live or who he wants to play for. I love Mike Trout, but to pretend like the players around him phoned it in rather than just had bad seasons or were hurt, is ignorant. I am sure your boy YoT will have some Mike Trout Will to Win Over Aging Veterans Stat that will give you failo wood. I am assuming in your mind Mike Trout phoned it in late in games in the clutch? I am sure every single one of us is aware that whether or not Mike stays here is 100% up to Mike, because we all know that when it comes time to pay him Arte will do the right thing.

If our Angels are planning to sign Mike Trout long-term then they better fix this team long-term. I'm pretty sure that one of the driving forces for Trout is winning. I'm sure that he will want to play for an organization that will put him in the best position to do that. Dipoto better do his job and Scioscia better get the rest of the team going or Trout will leave. You certainly can't hold that against him.

The only thing I could possibly think of that would seriously help the Angels cause in obtaining Mike Trout for the long-term is winning and allowing him to become a team leader that'd be personally invested in the success of the franchise.  

Those are the factors (along with a great deal of money) that kept Jeter a Yankee for so long, Pujols a Cardinal for so long and Ichiro a Mariner for so long. 

The day we were eliminated from making the playoffs in 2012, they interviewed trout after the game. He sounded like his favorite dog just died. You can tell he has a strong desire to win and make it to October. I'm sure 2013 was a very tough year for him, playing well and doing so much and having to be teammates with Blanton and madsen.

Claude you are underestimating the importance of risk vs reward. If he waits until he is a free agent that is four years to go without a major injury. If he signs early it is a huge insurance policy against injury. He would not turn down a 10 year $200+ million contract. No agent would advise him to turn it down.