• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Official Website: Pujols says left foot is '99.9 percent healthy'

AngelsWin.com

Something must be accounting for that 0.1% to not say he is 100%.  So what is it?  Does he not have feeling in his little toe, does he not feel his wife tickling the bottom of his foot, or maybe every 7th day he get a sharp pain in his heel?

Edited by tomsred

Something must be accounting for that 0.1% to not say he is 100%.  So what is it?  Does he not have feeling in his little toe, does he not feel his wife tickling the bottom of his foot, or maybe every 7th day he get a sharp pain in his heel?

This. It's like everything is okay, except....

Really pulling for him to get to !00%

I'm actually cautiously optimistic number 5 will return to being an All-Star 1B in 2014. I don't think a OPS of .950+ is unrealistic.

The foot issue has been bothering him for years.

Albert Pujols also has a history of hamstring problems and he hasn't really ran full speed since August of 2012 (hamstring, calf, knee, foot). So every healthy day that Albert Pujols has on those legs could still be numbered.         

Edited by Hamiltown

while I have no problem with the theory that Albert is declining based on the numbers given, and that he will never be the 1.000 ops guy that he was, there are specific occurrences that account for those numbers being how they are. 

in 2011, he was playing thru injury early in the season and then turned into his usual self

in 2012, he was with a new team in a new situation trying to live up to a new contract and then turned into himself

in 2013, he was playing thru an injury that severely limited his ability.

Don't get me wrong, I know you can't just exclude things that happened as if they never did, but my point is that it's not like he just stopped performing like usual without any extenuation circumstances and while those things can't totally be disregarded, it gives me some optimism that he has a much better chance at being close to his former self than the guy we saw last year.  Granted, he seems to be somewhat injury prone but I think a healthy, happy Albert can still be a .950ops guy.  Maybe we never see that, but at least we might. 

Vlad will always be a total anomaly.

Dude had almost zero plate discipline. His ability to be effective at the plate was entirely reliant on bat speed.

No 5 is a completely different player.

I agree, he is a lot closer to David Ortiz than he is to vladdy. He knows the strike zone and guys like that tend to be able to hit into their late 30s.

I think a healthy Albert still has it in him to be an elite first baseman. The foot injury really made him a shadow of himself. Nowadays, a .900 ops out of him would be more than sufficient. There aren't a ton of slugging 1Bs anymore

The O swing data does not support your theory. The reason he actually drew walks is because pitchers knew they really had to throw the ball way outside the zone for Vlad to actually not swing.

When a guy can line a ball of the fence that skips off the dirt you are not inclined to throw anything remotely near the plate.

While some players are able to defy the natural aging process and still produce at an incredible rate, the majority aren't so lucky.  It should be fairly obvious by now that Pujols falls into the majority.

Take Vlad for example: who on here kept insisting that he would "figure things out" or "get healthy" in his mid 30's and become the hitter he was when he was 27?  We all seemed to understand and accept that although he was one of the greatest hitters year after year for the previous 10 years, age and nagging injuries had caught up with him and that he'd never be close to the type of player he was in the past. What makes Pujols any different?

If I am not mistaken, Vladdy had one bad year.  And that was due to injuries and he was still our best offensive performer in the second half of the season.

He didn't disappoint at all.  My point is that when he hit .295 with 15 HR as a 34 year old everyone knew it was because he was older and beat up.  I don't think anybody thought he would turn around the next year and hit .330 with 45 HR.  People are in denial about Pujols.

He did bat 300 and hit 29 HR's the following year!