• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Another Off Season Thread

Stradling

Trout is the offense.  Solid contributions from Calhoun (to offset trumbo) and Kendrick get us near where we were last year.  Even slight improvement from Pujols and Hamilton would be enough to offset the loss of Aybar to Romine.  Same offense but now you have two decent starting pitchers.  

Also, in reference to Aybar, there is absolute value and relative value.  Yes, he's tough to replace with similar production because, in essence, the talent level at SS is pretty bad.  But, the total or absolute value lost in downgrading to Romine isn't that much because Aybar didn't really contribute all that much.  Sure he did relative to other shortstops, but not relative to the rest of the team.  ie, losing a 3 WAR SS (who gets almost 1 win for just being a SS) and down grading to a 1.5 WAR SS is a 50% loss while a 4 WAR second baseman to a 2.4 WAR 2bman is a 40% loss yet the overall net loss in production to the team is about the same.   If Albert and Josh can't be 1.5 wins better than last year combined, we are likely screwed anyway.  

The best you can hope for is a more balanced team and in my opinion, losses of Trumbo and Aybar get you the most pitching for the least loss in total offensive and defensive production from their replacements.  Kendrick to Green or a rookie is much more difficult to make up in absolute value even though the relative loss in production doesn't seem as great.   

You say that Trumbo and Aybar get you the most pitching for the least loss, and I can agree with you on Trumbo because I feel Calhoun would be better defensively, reach base more often and would even swipe a few bags while hitting for some power, but the lost of 2-3 wins by dealing Aybar seems like an unnecessary move.  I feel that trading Bourjos (instead of making him a 4th OF) and trading Iannetta could net us enough SP depth without sacrificing many wins at all.  

In fact, given Grant Green's ability to hit the ball and his athleticism, I'd more willingly deal Kendrick than Aybar because I feel we have an adequate backup and help on the way in the form of prospects. 

I'd rather not potentially lose out on a solid number 3/good number 4 starter with upside because the team wouldn't trade Aybar. He is a good player, and a very good shortstop. However most of his value comes from his defense. Romine could easily replace that value and then some. His bat is above average for the position, but it is not irreplaceable. A .300 OBP is not unreachable for even someone like Romine. Sure, you may get a lower AVG and SLG but ultimately the value isn't going to drop significantly.

I'd rather keep Aybar, just as I'd rather keep Trumbo. But those two will be the Angels best trade commodities this offseason. If you want something good, you have to give up something good.

I agree with you T Dawg, in that Romine is defensively outstanding but I think we're all underestimating Aybars effect on the offense or more appropriately Romine's ability with the bat. Having Romine at SS would essentially be the equivalent of reinserting Jeff Marhia into this lineup. You only do that if you're getting one hell of a pitcher back that can help offset the difference between Aybar and Romine. As far as I can tell, I don't think anyone will be sending us their Shelby Millers of the world in return for 3 years of Aybar. Valuable as he may be, it's no secret that pitching is the answer to ecery question right now.