• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Supporting the Troops

Adam

didnt read the article but laugh at what either my sister or buddy said coming home from duty, "i wish they didnt clap for us in airports. just buy me a beer."

it's weird because i went through the process and was sworn in, but am not a vet. it seemed like most dudes were like me and just lost with life and needed to do something with their life. my perception is a little different than someone that would never consider service.

i appreciate someone that signs up with how ****ed up the world is and how we just deploy troops wherever we feel like. i always buy any soldier or vet a beer or if they dont drink a meal.

Maybe Adam would have preferred to have grown-up in "West-Germany" or "West-Japan" or "West-Russia."  Do you seriously think soldiers did not earn our freedom here in the US in WW2?  And yes, it is still a volunteer army; don't join-up if you disagree with the countries' policies.  Young folks join-up to learn job-skills that they can't afford to PAY to learn outside the Military.  But, there's still work at the Post Office.

Does everyone forget that AQ ALREADY has attacked us at home?  These Middle-Eastern jihadis are still a viable threat.  Plots against the US are thwarted almost weekly still, but our media chooses not to broadcast it (and, sometimes the Govt. out of security concerns).  I don't agree with every Military action, but think it's critical for us to keep the fight over there.

We're becoming less of a free country each and everyday thanks to the shenanigans being perpetrated by our government, i.e. the  NSA.  That's the really sad part about all this.

Why go overseas to fight for our freedom when it's being taken away domestically by the same people who send you there? 

We're becoming less of a free country each and everyday thanks to the shenanigans being perpetrated by our government, i.e. the  NSA.  That's the really sad part about all this.

Why go overseas to fight for our freedom when it's being taken away domestically by the same people who send you there? 

We're actually probably more "free" than we've ever been.

There was this little thing called the draft up to the mid 70's.  The military didn't have to advertise to try to recruit you, you received a draft notice.

I am old enough to have had a draft card (Selective Service Card is the correct term, I believe). We were still in Vietnam when I was draft age. Because of that I did not serve either. Nixon ended the draft the year my group had the lottery (for the uninitiated, birth dates for all 18-year-olds were drawn one by one, and it was televised. Those in the first third were almost certain to be called. The day before my birthday was the first one out of the hopper, mine was #65.).

My father, who was career military (WW II and Korea vet), was totally opposed to the war in Vietnam. Had I been called I would have gone on an extended visit with my grandparents in Canada and in all likelihood become a Canadian citizen (my parents and grandparents had all this worked out). I admire the guys who went and did what their country asked them to do. I just didn't see it as being like World War II when there was a clear enemy who had attacked us and our allies, was actively trying to destroy us and had the means to do so.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

I think what irks me about military celebrations is that only those who wear the uniform are given recognition. 

Nobody acknowledges the millions of people working for the DOD as civil servants or private sector contractors whose efforts directly support combat missions.  I'm not saying the sacrifice is equal across the board, but those in the latter groups face similar struggles at times.  It's very common for employees of DOD contractors to be gone for very long periods of time overseas, and subject to the same stresses, familial strife and addiction problems back at home.

Making things worse is the distinct possibility you will be unemployed again(!) a few months downstream because of uncertain political action in Washington DC. 

Try being a black man in the 40's, or a woman in the early 1900 's. I could walk around in a tshirt every day that says "I'm a communist," and no one would give a shit.

Try being a Christian in public or expressing disapproval of homosexuals in the year 2050.  I expect both to be illegal under the guise of "hate speech" by that time.  That's where this country is headed. 

Try being a Christian in public or expressing disapproval of homosexuals in the year 2050. I expect both to be illegal under the guise of "hate speech" by that time. That's where this country is headed.

Do you want to talk about stuff that has actually happened, or stuff you are just making up?

Our politicians are about 95% christian/catholic and 4% Jewish 1% Muslim/Atheist/Other...  You really think it is going to change that drastically in the next 35 years?

My favorite thing is that people vote for these scumbags we have in government based on their religion and they are probably the most ungodly people in our entire country.

Our politicians are about 95% christian/catholic and 4% Jewish 1% Muslim/Atheist/Other...  You really think it is going to change that drastically in the next 35 years?

My favorite thing is that people vote for these scumbags we have in government based on their religion and they are probably the most ungodly people in our entire country.

I think many politicians claim to be Protestant or Catholic simply to get elected.  Very few politicians strike me as practicing Christians.

They have to at least go to church every week and do all that stuff.  All of it is vetted by their opponents.  If they don't then they will be attacked by their opponents for it.

Another Christian virtue, attacking the character of your enemy. (sarcasm)

No one is stopping you from being Christian.

There are literally thousands of examples in recent years where either the government openly discriminates against practicing Christians, or allows others to do it without prosecution for their criminal behavior. 

I guess you've forgotten how just a couple years ago, the City of San Juan Capistrano fined a family for holding Bible studies in their house, claiming they needed to purchase a permit first? 

First, I know nothing about that incident.

Second, for that one incident I bet you could find 100 against Jews and a thousand against Muslims.

Finally, again I know nothing about that incident, but that hardly qualifies as widespread discrimination.

There is certainly some resistance coming at Christians right now, especially from younger people.  That happens when you force your beliefs on people who don't have the same beliefs.

That again is not discrimination, that is natural opposition.

If government was 95% republican or democrat everyone here would be up in arms ready to organize a coup.

There are literally thousands of examples in recent years where either the government openly discriminates against practicing Christians, or allows others to do it without prosecution for their criminal behavior.

I guess you've forgotten how just a couple years ago, the City of San Juan Capistrano fined a family for holding Bible studies in their house, claiming they needed to purchase a permit first?

Never heard of it so I looked it up. They were fined because of parking reasons. This has since been reversed, fine refunded, and a change made. They weren't fined because they were holding a Bible studies group.