• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Supporting the Troops

Adam

I was one of those 20 something years ago returning from Desert Storm with the cheering crowds and wondering about all the fuss. I had spent 8 months sitting in a shelter sending our planes out to shoot fish in a barrel. Then it eventually dawned on me. All the fawning, ass kissing, public shows of support and admiration, is to keep young men in line to join an all volunteer force. Once I came to this realization I went on about my business.

I don't like that people sign up and willingly shoot brown people overseas simply because they are told to but I do appreciate that they would also shoot those brown people if they ever showed up outside my front door demanding my house. The ideals that the military represents are very noble but the work they end up doing is, in my opinion, usually condemnable.

I'm grateful that they're willing to serve, and even more so since I didn't.

That said, there's an interesting point about them protecting our freedoms right now. Afghanistan is not a direct threat to us, nor is the Taliban. I think I'd feel more like my freedoms were being protected if the afghanis/Taliban were at war with us, if that makes sense.

Sorry Adam, I am not in agreement at all with this.  The sacrifice that they and their family give is beyond measure.  You know that I don't like the the American government's use of our military, but that doesn't change what our military give.  

Cops and firemen aren't even in the same league.

I would also point out that if understand your opinion of the federal government a military would still be essential, no?

I am with MT.  I don't think we do enough to honor these guys.  The join up to our military, which like it or not, is necessary.  Most Americans would not do it, yet these guys do, they follow orders and put their lives in danger.

Not to mention that, when they get out of service, we treat them like shit, they struggle to get benefits and support for the wounds both mental and physical that they receive.

I'm grateful that they're willing to serve, and even more so since I didn't.

That said, there's an interesting point about them protecting our freedoms right now. Afghanistan is not a direct threat to us, nor is the Taliban. I think I'd feel more like my freedoms were being protected if the afghanis/Taliban were at war with us, if that makes sense.

Afghanistan and the Taliban may not be a threat right now but let's not forget that they let terrorist training camps set up shop in their country. Which led to several attacks towards Americans. Many soldiers I work with say they believe the same thing will repeat itself once we leave.

I think Iraq is a better example of our freedoms not being threatened although I do appreciate the military personal who served there.

Cops and firemen aren't even in the same league.

I would like to respectfully disagree. A much higher number of cops put there life on the line as opposed to military personnel. I don't have the stats in front of me but I've read before that it is a very low percentage of soldiers who actually see combat.

Since I was a kid something always seemed wrong about how we go about "celebrating" our military

I couldn't agree with this more.   Celebrating the military through sports is a great way to market it but I don't like it at all. It's especially present in football.  When I was a kid watching sports in the early and mid 70's, the military was nowhere.  Late 60's and early 70's, although I was very young, the Viet Nam war wasn't connected to sports.

I would like to respectfully disagree. A much higher number of cops put there life on the line as opposed to military personnel. I don't have the stats in front of me but I've read before that it is a very low percentage of soldiers who actually see combat.

The get to see their families on a regular basis.  Please, this really isn't even close.  Not to mention police and firemen are very nicely compensated financially.

The get to see their families on a regular basis.  Please, this really isn't even close.  Not to mention police and firemen are very nicely compensated financially.

So because they are away from their family more and don't get paid a lot they are above cops who risk their lives?

I agree that fireman aren't in the same class as military/police.

I don't like terms like "above".  I don't think anyone is really above anyone anyone else.  I do think that because they can miss the birth of their children.  They can not be there when a loved one dies and they are paid close to nothing and then compensated horribly when they return with second rate care.  Don't forget that a good percentage of homeless folks are veterans.  

I couldn't agree with this more.   Celebrating the military through sports is a great way to market it but I don't like it at all. It's especially present in football.  When I was a kid watching sports in the early and mid 70's, the military was nowhere.  Late 60's and early 70's, although I was very young, the Viet Nam war wasn't connected to sports.

There was this little thing called the draft up to the mid 70's.  The military didn't have to advertise to try to recruit you, you received a draft notice.

Since the military is now an all volunteer force, they have to compete for personnel with the private sector.  To do that, they have to advertise where young men are watching.

Maybe Adam would have preferred to have grown-up in "West-Germany" or "West-Japan" or "West-Russia."  Do you seriously think soldiers did not earn our freedom here in the US in WW2?  And yes, it is still a volunteer army; don't join-up if you disagree with the countries' policies.  Young folks join-up to learn job-skills that they can't afford to PAY to learn outside the Military.  But, there's still work at the Post Office.

Does everyone forget that AQ ALREADY has attacked us at home?  These Middle-Eastern jihadis are still a viable threat.  Plots against the US are thwarted almost weekly still, but our media chooses not to broadcast it (and, sometimes the Govt. out of security concerns).  I don't agree with every Military action, but think it's critical for us to keep the fight over there.

I don't like to say that any job in harms way is "above" another.  They all have different, inherent dangers to them.  On average, Firefighters die at a much higher rate annually than Police Officers, only the means are different.  It is a difficult situation for Military personnel to deploy away from their families, and yet they have less 'distractions' in doing their jobs.

I fly a flag every day, and love the Military-appreciation days at sporting events.

Also Tank, I'm confused. Are we not at war with the Taliban and their Al Qaeda allies? I see what you're saying about the regular afghan civilian but don't agree with the Taliban comment.

fair enough. i needed to include the al qaeda training camps and the fact that they hid bin laden for a while. that's accurate. i agree with your comment about iraq, also.

the efforts to show appreciation to our military today have come about, i believe, from our failure as a nation to appreciate what a lot of soldiers went through in vietnam. all of our veterans need to know how much we appreciate their work on our collective behalf, and i'm okay with all of the acknowledgements they continue to receive.

if i see soldiers in uniform, i usually try to shake their hands and tell them thanks whenever possible, especially at airports.