• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kiss the "Great Park" Goodbye

Lhalo

$200 Million to turn it into a park, they've gone through most of it and only a fraction has actually been done? Pardon my French, but are you ****ing kidding me!?! $200 Million to break up concrete and lay some sod, and that's only a fraction? Someone is seriously screwing the City of Irvine (not that I'm opposed to that) and they're gonna probably walk with most of it (barely a fraction in lawyers fees to protect the rest).

Wow, just.... wow.

Edited by Eric

$200 Million to turn it into a park, they've gone through most of it and only a fraction has actually been done? Pardon my French, but are you ****ing kidding me!?! $200 Million to break up concrete and lay some sod, and that's only a fraction? Someone is seriously screwing the City of Irvine (not that I'm opposed to that) and they're gonna probably walk with most of it (barely a fraction in lawyers fees to protect the rest).

Wow, just.... wow.

Probably orchestrated by the same guys who are running the obamacare website.

That was my area when I lived out there.  That is some seriously contaminated ground.  Wasn't the entire idea that it had to be an airport or a park because it couldn't have just housing on it? 

Or was that just all a lie as well?  I'm honestly beginning to wonder if anything an official government office says is true.

My guess mt is that you can build houses on it if you are willing to invest enough money to fix the contamination issue.  Maybe the cost is so extreme or was so extreme years ago that they didn't think anyone would be willing to fork over the dough to make it happen. 

I don't care what the contamination problem is or was.

For $200 million, you could fix all of it and have enough money left over to build the greatest park of all time.

As a corollary:

The former NASA facility, where Downey Studios was, you know the place where they built and tested gnarly rockets and aerospace stuff for 50 years, and contaminated the hell out of soil and groundwater?

That place took 10 years and less than 10% of that $200M price tag to clean up.

Some people should probably go to jail for El Toro mismanagement.

I don't care what the contamination problem is or was.

For $200 million, you could fix all of it and have enough money left over to build the greatest park of all time.

As a corollary:

The former NASA facility, where Downey Studios was, you know the place where they built and tested gnarly rockets and aerospace stuff for 50 years, and contaminated the hell out of soil and groundwater?

That place took 10 years and less than 10% of that $200M price tag to clean up.

Some people should probably go to jail for El Toro mismanagement.

a couple of things here, the Downey studios etc site is a much smaller site so a cost comparative doesn't work. Not to mention the costs of remediation are much higher now than they were then. Secondly, there are still contamination concerns on that property and questions regarding the effectiveness of the remediation. There have been additional cleanup efforts since the initial remediation. http://articles.latimes.com/2009/aug/02/business/fi-ct-downey2

El Toro Air Base was 4,682 acres.