• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Boras being Boras

gotbeer

If we had the need for an outfielder I would absolutely love to have him batting second for the Angels. I am sure that the STAT guys will show me that he struggles outside of Fenway, but when I see him battle against good pitching, I am a fan of his game. This next part is not reality so don't crucify me for it. Angels trade Trumbo and Peter this offseason for pitching, trade Howie or Aybar for pitching to free up some cash. Then sign Ellsbury to bat second and have Calhoun be the DH.

I think lefties have it tougher in Fenway generally. Granted they have that ridiculous right field foul pole but other than that it seems to be a pretty neutral park.

I'd love to have him and Trout hitting back to back and giving pitcher's seizures on the basepaths. But he's probably going to go to the Reds or something to replace Choo.

Ok, in that case, take everything I wrote about Ellsbury coming to the Angels but replace his name with Choo. That would work for me as well, perfect number two hitter.

Choo would be incredible but he will cost a draft pick and will probably get a contract well north of 100 million.

Choo would be incredible but he will cost a draft pick and will probably get a contract well north of 100 million.

*Projected Batting Lines:

Player A: .272 (BA)/.385 (OBP)/.432 (SLG), 99 R, 60 RBI, 18 HR, 19 SB, .362 wOBA, 6/$100 million, 31 Yrs Old

Player B: .273 (BA)/.340 (OBP)/.447 (SLG), 75 R, 72 RBI, 18 HR, 12 SB, .351 wOBA, 6/$33.5 million, 26 Yrs Old

Who would you pick from a value perspective?

Who in the world would put up those projected numbers and sign for just 5.5 million a year at age 26?

Player A is of course Shin-Soo Choo.

Player B is Kole Calhoun who is a controlled player for the next 6 years and is projected, over those same 6 years, to make close to $33.5 million in minimum salaries and arbitration.

Kole Calhoun is our equivalent version of Choo in my opinion.

Certainly a possibility. If Calhoun puts up those numbers next year I'll be sexually aroused.

LOL

For the record I took his projected Steamer line off of FanGraphs, based on 199 plate appearances, and multiplied it by 3, on the counting stats, to arrive at that projected line. That would put Calhoun at 597 plate appearances if he becomes an OF/DH guy if Trumbo and/or Bourjos are traded.

Kole really does have a similar skill set to Choo..... they both do a little bit of everything. Even their defense is probably on par with one another.

LOL

For the record I took his projected Steamer line off of FanGraphs, based on 199 plate appearances, and multiplied it by 3, on the counting stats, to arrive at that projected line. That would put Calhoun at 597 plate appearances if he becomes an OF/DH guy if Trumbo and/or Bourjos are traded.

Kole really does have a similar skill set to Choo..... they both do a little bit of everything. Even their defense is probably on par with one another.

Yep. It's pretty interesting how similar their skill sets are from offense to defense. One advantage Kole has over Choo is that he can actually hit LHP.

Here's an article on his projections for next year that I found pretty interesting

http://rotobanter.com/2014-Kole-Calhoun

• The Mariners' reported interest in Jacoby Ellsbury may be overblown, hears ESPN's Jerry Crasnick.  Crasnick wrote earlier than the Ms are more immersed in the Carlos Beltran/Peralta/Kendrys Morales market than in Ellsbury's.  The Mariners would like to find a way to add Cruz and Beltran, tweets Crasnick.  If they are to pull that off, it could be another offseason of disregarding defense, in my opinion.  Signing Cruz and Beltran requires the forfeiture of draft picks, but the Mariners' first rounder is protected.  They would lose their second round pick as well as their Competitive Balance Round B pick (similar to the Indians last winter).

Yep. It's pretty interesting how similar their skill sets are from offense to defense. One advantage Kole has over Choo is that he can actually hit LHP.

Here's an article on his projections for next year that I found pretty interesting

http://rotobanter.com/2014-Kole-Calhoun

Actually that full season line that author offers is a possibility as well. The only thing I might worry about is the league adjusting to Kole but I have a good feeling about him and think he will do well, especially if he gets a full time role either as DH or OF spot.

If we had the need for an outfielder I would absolutely love to have him batting second for the Angels. I am sure that the STAT guys will show me that he struggles outside of Fenway, but when I see him battle against good pitching, I am a fan of his game. This next part is not reality so don't crucify me for it. Angels trade Trumbo and Peter this offseason for pitching, trade Howie or Aybar for pitching to free up some cash. Then sign Ellsbury to bat second and have Calhoun be the DH.

If we had a need for an outfielder, I would rather have Choo. But we have no OF needs.