• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LA Times: Angels and Dodgers play waiting game on Japan's Masahiro Tanaka

AngelsWin.com

The teams have the right-hander as one of their primary free-agent targets this off-season, but a change in the posting rules for the transfer of players from Nippon Professional Baseball to the major leagues is holding up things.

ORLANDO, Fla. — When the general managers' meetings started Monday, the Dodgers and Angels still didn't know if or when one of their primary targets, Japanese right-hander Masahiro Tanaka, would be available this off-season.TPdMkz9TwRw

View the full article

MLB is insane for entering an agreement that allows a posting fee to get to $75M+.

We have about a half a dozen MLB teams that can't even afford to spend that much on their own payroll. Why should MLB teams subsidize Japanese Baseball? Would they give us a posting fee if Mike Trout decided he wanted to play in Japan?   

MLB is insane for entering an agreement that allows a posting fee to get to $75M+.

We have about a half a dozen MLB teams that can't even afford to spend that much on their own payroll. Why should MLB teams subsidize Japanese Baseball? Would they give us a posting fee if Mike Trout decided he wanted to play in Japan?

Because MLB makes money when Japanese baseball players come to the US. The fans and press still follow/worship these guys from across the Pacific.

I guess I understand the concept of wanting the player to have more choice over who he signs with. I guess I'd just rather they keep it as the highest bidder, and just give the player a cut of the posting fee. The new system almost makes the bidding process pointless.

@KenDavidoff: Sounds like the plan for Japanese posting is that the final bid will be the average of the top two bids. Announcement likely very soon.

From everything I've read, it seems like an announcement on the posting system will come tomorrow

Edited by SoWhat

It's going to be awesome, when the Angels bid $70 million for Tanaka, Yankees bid $40 million. And Tanaka chooses the Yankees.

We have to sweeten the deal with our limited understanding of japanese culture.

70 million, plus he gets his own blond girl with fake cans that he can kill and make a comic book out of, and an unlimiyed supply of video games that require dancing and karaoke music.

And a new townhome in torrance.

Cubs interested in Masahiro Tanaka

One reported scenario has the major league team that wins the bid paying an average between the top two bids, while another suggestion is to abolish the bidding system entirely and wait until the Japanese players become free agents after nine years. It's unclear when the situation will be resolved.

First I've heard of this scenario.  I think Santana is secretely hoping for this to come true.  

I hope they abolish it completely. This whole posting system sucks. Auctioning off human beings is just wrong. Tanaka should just be able to declare himself a free agent after he completes his current contractual obligations and play wherever he wants to play.

I don't see what is wrong with the posting system.  Other than it being a blind post.  

Do you think that this offseason, Trout should play wherever he wants to play?  Do you think that if we traded Trout this offseason, we should get nothing in return?  The reality is, there will never be a situation where you will trade Trout, Trumbo, Hamilton, Pujols, or really any MLB or minor league player to Japan.  It just isn't done, and if it is, it's on a rare occasion that someone wants to play there.  

Tanaka has 3 years left until free agency.  The Japanese team is looking to trade him to the US, and since player trades aren't done, they are looking for cash.  Just like when some players in the US are traded for cash considerations.  

I don't see what is wrong with the posting system. Other than it being a blind post.

Do you think that this offseason, Trout should play wherever he wants to play? Do you think that if we traded Trout this offseason, we should get nothing in return? The reality is, there will never be a situation where you will trade Trout, Trumbo, Hamilton, Pujols, or really any MLB or minor league player to Japan. It just isn't done, and if it is, it's on a rare occasion that someone wants to play there.

Tanaka has 3 years left until free agency. The Japanese team is looking to trade him to the US, and since player trades aren't done, they are looking for cash. Just like when some players in the US are traded for cash considerations.

I'm fine with trading players for players but putting a "For Sale" sign (posting fee) on a players head is wrong. The Oakland A's owner Charlie Finley attempted to sell Rudi, Blue and Fingers for cash but was blocked by Kuhn for the best interest of baseball. All MLB teams should avoid paying a posting fee to a Japanese team when most MLB teams can't afford the current high end free agent market we already have in place. Edited by Hamiltown

I hope they abolish it completely. This whole posting system sucks. Auctioning off human beings is just wrong. Tanaka should just be able to declare himself a free agent after he completes his current contractual obligations and play wherever he wants to play.

That's why the posting system exists. Players are contractually bound to their NPB team for their first nine years.

Agree their should be at least some choice for the player. I would hate to have to play for the Marlins. Eww.