• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

GM Meetings

greginpsca

Reagins on the other hand took a much more hands off approach to the GM meetings, meaning a lot of golf and avoiding reporters.  I honestly think he'll go down as the worst GM since Bavasi.  

As I recall, the last time he went he also arrived a day or two late, and several deals had already been struck by the time he showed up.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

I think that was the winter meetings he showed up late for twice.  The second time was particularly damning because our primary offseason target at the time was Carl Crawford and by the time he'd arrived everyone had just received word that Crawford accepted Boston's offer and the media wanted a comment from Reagins.  He literally (not figuratively, literally) ran away from reporters upon his arrival and locked himself in his room while much of his staff was still elsewhere. 

I think that was the winter meetings he showed up late for twice. The second time was particularly damning because our primary offseason target at the time was Carl Crawford and by the time he'd arrived everyone had just received word that Crawford accepted Boston's offer and the media wanted a comment from Reagins. He literally (not figuratively, literally) ran away from reporters upon his arrival and locked himself in his room while much of his staff was still elsewhere.

Yup.

You really have to wonder about ownership with that hiring. He was a known commodity as he was longtime employee. How did that get that crucial hiring so utterly wrong. Perhaps because Reagims was a mere stooge for the war games of the manager and the owner? Was that GM hiring merely to serve as a false puppet for their plans?

I think that was the winter meetings he showed up late for twice.  The second time was particularly damning because our primary offseason target at the time was Carl Crawford and by the time he'd arrived everyone had just received word that Crawford accepted Boston's offer and the media wanted a comment from Reagins.  He literally (not figuratively, literally) ran away from reporters upon his arrival and locked himself in his room while much of his staff was still elsewhere. 

I had totally forgot about this. Dipoto's moves haven't worked out up to this point but he is still far more competent than Reagins was. 

Just looked at this article from 2010, looks like Reagins whiffed on every free agent target.  - http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/12/angels-gm-tony-reagins-to-arrive-fashionably-late-to-winter-meetings-again.html

Dipoto may have his shortcomings, but at least he shows up to these meetings and is active.

You really have to wonder about ownership with that hiring. He was a known commodity as he was longtime employee. How did that get that crucial hiring so utterly wrong. Perhaps because Reagims was a mere stooge for the war games of the manager and the owner? Was that GM hiring merely to serve as a false puppet for their plans?

That is the prevailing theory here, and I believe that it has a lot of merit. Reagins was in over his head from day one. It certainly didn't help his image, or that of the franchise, for him to be so lackadaisical about things like free agents we were pursuing and the winter meetings.