• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brian McCann

wopphil

I don't know anything about him defensively. I do know he knows how to block the plate when a piece of shit tries to show up his pitcher. If he is as good defensively as offensively and can throw out runners then I would love to have him.

McCann had a .995 fielding percentage in 2013 with four errors in 767 total chances in 92 games. He threw out 15 of 62 potential base stealers for 24.2 percent CS.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

It still bothers me that he has averaged about 115 games over the last three seasons. 

Not a lot of catchers average much more than 120 games started at the position per season. If they do, it's because they play at other positions like 1B or DH which McCann would have a chance to do with the Angels.

Trumbo is overvalued tremendously and Iannetta is undervalued tremendously.

disagree scott. Well, not how you out it but what you're implying.

Their OPS is the same, one can get on base, one can hit for power. But whereas trumbo can change the course of the game, has iannetta since he's been here?

I see a lot of knocks on trumbos defense. Iannetta isn't a good defensive catcher.

Had we gotten the colorado version I'd lean more towards what you're saying. But so far we've gotten a guy who walks a lot (which is great), but not much else. Add to that he's not great behind the plate.

So whereas I agree with what you're saying, I still say trumbo is the more valuable player.

trumbo produces more yeah, but he is also more replaceable than ianetta.   He's a good hitting catcher, gets on base a ton.   And he is mediocre defensively, but he won't absolutely kill you like a jesus montero or victor martinez.    He makes the plays most of the time and he has a decent throwing arm.

I think its easier to find another OF that can produce to trumbo's level than it is to replace ianetta

I don't see a big difference in production between Ianetta and Conger.  Yet Hank is cheaper.  If you can get a pen arm for Chris, then to me, you have not lost anything at C by trading him yet you have upgraded the pen. 

how big of an upgrade is McCann over Conger?  18mil worth?  Not sure about that.  Yes I think he's a solid upgrade now, but when those 33 and 34 yo season roll around and he's making 20mil per to be almost a pure DH then not so much. 

It's the kind of deal this team needs to stay away from until at least Weaver and Wilson come off the books. 

If they want to stretch for a couple of free agents in 2017 then fine.  Until then, no more contracts where you are paying someone for two potentially good years and then three years of mediocre play. 

not to harp on it btw, but Boston was able to jettison a few bad contracts and keep the core of their team intact.  They had an opportunity to spend lot's of money as a result yet instead, they filled those holes with some mid range deals. 

we don't have the luxury of being able to shed our bad contracts and we are in a much more dire position when it comes to pitching.  So to add another big contract for an offensive player just seems like a bad idea.  Not saying it absolutely will be a bad deal.  Adding McCann could be fine, but when contracts go bad, it's usually the FA deals for guys about to be on the wrong side of 30 with a history of missing games. 

trumbo produces more yeah, but he is also more replaceable than ianetta.   He's a good hitting catcher, gets on base a ton.   And he is mediocre defensively, but he won't absolutely kill you like a jesus montero or victor martinez.    He makes the plays most of the time and he has a decent throwing arm.

I think its easier to find another OF that can produce to trumbo's level than it is to replace ianetta

Iannetta started 102 games and played in 113 games and only scored 40 runs (with 39 RBI) with those on base skills you seem to value from him.  Just how the f*ck is he more valuable than Trumbo who scored 85 runs and drove in 100??

OPS does NOT = run production!

No one past their arb years is worth their contracts. That is how sports is. Tumbo's first FA deal will grossly overpay him. That could be the Angels, or someone else. As for McCann no one is $18M per year better than their replacement except Trout and Cabrera. But a players value to a team can be a lot higher based on intangibles, leadership and, in McCann's case, how he handles a pitching staff. He has called games for quite a few rookies and veterans alike with huge success. Maybe that makes up for the $18M more per year than Conger.

You can't always quantify a players value by what his stat line looks like. You need character guys. McCann is one in my opinion. It just so happens that he can produce with the bat as well.

disagree scott. Well, not how you out it but what you're implying.

Their OPS is the same, one can get on base, one can hit for power. But whereas trumbo can change the course of the game, has iannetta since he's been here?

I see a lot of knocks on trumbos defense. Iannetta isn't a good defensive catcher.

Had we gotten the colorado version I'd lean more towards what you're saying. But so far we've gotten a guy who walks a lot (which is great), but not much else. Add to that he's not great behind the plate.

So whereas I agree with what you're saying, I still say trumbo is the more valuable player.

I agree with that. 

There's just no reason to blow our wad on a position that doesn't need upgrading.

No one past their arb years is worth their contracts. That is how sports is. Tumbo's first FA deal will grossly overpay him. That could be the Angels, or someone else. As for McCann no one is $18M per year better than their replacement except Trout and Cabrera. But a players value to a team can be a lot higher based on intangibles, leadership and, in McCann's case, how he handles a pitching staff. He has called games for quite a few rookies and veterans alike with huge success. Maybe that makes up for the $18M more per year than Conger.

You can't always quantify a players value by what his stat line looks like. You need character guys. McCann is one in my opinion. It just so happens that he can produce with the bat as well.

So then you must see the total value in draft picks... :P

Edited by Scott34

it's interesting that you mention this part of it.  I was just thinking the same thing that if McCann was brought in it would be a character move big time.  They are doing it with the coaches so I could see them doing the same with the players.   I do think the team has all but admitted there were 'personality' issues by making some seemingly unusual choices in who they replaced with the coaching staff. 

Iannetta started 102 games and played in 113 games and only scored 40 runs (with 39 RBI) with those on base skills you seem to value from him.  Just how the f*ck is he more valuable than Trumbo who scored 85 runs and drove in 100??

Using counting stats to compare and judge players is not smart.    THat's how we signed pujols and hamilton

so you are saying that the guys in front of him sucked at getting on base and the guys behind him sucked at driving him in.  maybe we should address that. 

Iannetta started 102 games and played in 113 games and only scored 40 runs (with 39 RBI) with those on base skills you seem to value from him. Just how the f*ck is he more valuable than Trumbo who scored 85 runs and drove in 100??

Early candidate for the worst post of the offseason. There are nearly as many logical fallacies in this post as words. Didn't know that possible!

5 first round picks in 2010. None of which have made it to the big leagues. 3 of which will probably never make it.

No, I don't see the total value in draft picks.

I count 3 that will make it easily.

But that's beside the point.  It's 1 draft.  Yes it's hit or miss, but I want as many chances as I can in that process.  Especially considering the 2014 draft class.

I count 3 that will make it easily.

But that's beside the point.  It's 1 draft.  Yes it's hit or miss, but I want as many chances as I can in that process.  Especially considering the 2014 draft class.

So you are against FA signings period? Anyone worth signing has a pick attached to them. That is no way to win a championship now.

Look, normally, I am all for your theory. But this team is not built on draft picks, and won't be until the core group has run their course. You have about a 2-3 year window to win before Pujols is even worse and Weaver and Wilson contracts are up. Standing pat and relying on picks will get you no where in that 2-3 year window.

So you are against FA signings period? Anyone worth signing has a pick attached to them. That is no way to win a championship now.

Look, normally, I am all for your theory. But this team is not built on draft picks, and won't be until the core group has run their course. You have about a 2-3 year window to win before Pujols is even worse and Weaver and Wilson contracts are up. Standing pat and relying on picks will get you no where in that 2-3 year window.

I normally would agree with you if we had a top 15 or even 20 farm.  But what happens after those 2-3 years?

Arte is not going to drop payroll and collect picks and rebuild. It's not his style. You will most likely never see that happen. Therefore, you have to play the FA game. What needs to improve is the scouting department followed by the GM. You have to make good on the few picks you do have regardless of what round they are in. There are numerous major leaguers that have had great careers that were picked later than the first round.