• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brian McCann

wopphil

Why do major writers keep linking the Angels to this guy? I have seen it repeatedly this off season, and it seems to be more than just "he is a big name and the Angels like to sign big names, so McCann could be on their radar."

I gotta believe McCann is at the bottom of Jerry's list, right next to Napoli and Santana. Anyone disagree? Anyone think we should be pursuing him?

Doesn't McCann want $100 million? With how much money this team is already wasting, it would be disastrous to waste even more on a catcher who is going to be 30 years old and has already shown wear and tear on his body. I'd rather they trade Iannetta for likely a good reliever, sign Kurt Suzuki or some other solid defensive Catcher and roll with that and Conger at Catcher. I don't buy this. This team has bigger fish to fry when it comes to the construction of this roster. It should be all about pitching, pitching and more pitching

I've been reading around 5 years $80 Million for McCann. At that price, he is easily worth it. Payrolls in baseball are going up. For a good veteran bat and presence in the locker room at a position that directly affects our whole pitching staff daily is worth that. He's much better than either Conger or Iannetta. I have seen that Toronto is interested in Iannetta. McCann is only 30 and can also DH with Pujols.

Edited by Shane

I can see us signing him. The reason we didn't offer Vargas is A) he's not worth $14M for one season and b.) he can be signed to a 2 or 3 year deal that allows us to back load the contract.

Same goes for McCann. I can see us signing him if we trade one or both of Aybar and Kendrick for pitching and can back load his contract as well.

Edited by xboom28x

McCann would be great....at about 3/50.  Not at about 5/90.  You're better off putting that chunk to Tanaka imo. 

I think McCann is going to be on the Red Sox by the time everything is said and done.  Maybe the Yankees. 

Conger is good enough at this point and he showed pretty solid improvement as the year went on.  If Ianetta can get us a solid reliever, I'd love to bring in Jose Molina to mentor Conger for a year or two as a backup. 

Also, three pen arms - one of which could be a closer would cost you about 17mil per for 2 years less than McCann and that would give you more bang for your buck imo. 

Edited by Dochalo

McCann would be great....at about 3/50.  Not at about 5/90.  You're better off putting that chuck to Tanaka imo. 

I think McCann is going to be on the Red Sox by the time everything is said and done.  Maybe the Yankees. 

Conger is good enough at this point and he showed pretty solid improvement as the year went on.  If Ianetta can get us a solid reliever, I'd love to bring in Jose Molina to mentor Conger for a year or two as a backup. 

Also, three pen arms - one of which could be a closer would cost you about 17mil per for 2 years less than McCann and that would give you more bang for your buck imo. 

He's 29 years old. 3 years won't net him. 5 years wouldn't be too long for him either. Again, if DiPoto can create space on the payroll by trading Aybar/Kendrick for pitching, McCann would be an awesome signing.

Ugh, people still falling into the "big bat" trap. Did anyone see our pitching last year?

Scott, why can't you fix both in one offseason? McCann's production offensively would likely make up for both Aybar and Kendrick affording you the opportunity to use cheaper replacements up the middle. Sign him to a 5 year deal with only 8M in the first year (Aybar's contract) and you still have Kendrick's contract space to get relief pitching.

It's more important to get young affordable pitching when dealing Aybar/Kendrick because you want to fix this issue long term. Not just for one year.

He's 29 years old. 3 years won't net him. 5 years wouldn't be too long for him either. Again, if DiPoto can create space on the payroll by trading Aybar/Kendrick for pitching, McCann would be an awesome signing.

I know 3 years won't get him.  That's what I am saying.  He'll be 30 to start the season so for five years you'd have his 30-34 yo seasons.  He's not gonna be able to catch the whole time so he's gonna be a part time DH which we already have at least one of and potentially two if we keep both Bourjos and Calhoun.  I just don't like the thought of bringing him in because of the last 2-3 years. 

If they want to trade away Bourjos and Trumbo and bring in a DH/1b type for 1-2 years then fine, but 5 years is too much.