• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arab Mascot "offensive"

LOS ANGELES - A California high school's decades-old use of an Arab mascot to promote its sports teams has drawn the ire of an Arab-American rights group that says the mascot is an offensive caricature, portraying Arabs with a large nose, beard and head-covering.

http://news.msn.com/us/california-high-school-under-fire-over-arab-mascot

Yeah, knock it off jackasses!

Sincerely,

King Abdul Aziz

P200711111115531326826454.jpg

My HS was the Apaches.  Our mascot was originally a cartoonish looking Indian guy.  We had to change it after constant complaining.  Changing it did nothing though, they were still offended just by the name.  It is dumb, we had people protesting at all of our football games.  People need to get over it.  I am glad Arcadia stuck to their guns and never changed mascots.  While I was there, there was talk of changing to Peacocks (they are abundant in Arcadia) until someone mentioned that we could yell "GO COCKS!" at football games, lol.

apachejoe.gif

This is what they changed it to:

ahsmain1.gif

While I was there, there was talk of changing to Peacocks (they are abundant in Arcadia) until someone mentioned that we could yell "GO COCKS!" at football games, lol.

Commonplace at the University of South Carolina, where there was once a bumper sticker that read, "You can't lick our Cocks."

98548.jpg

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Yeah, I don't know about that mascot. I mean, I'm not one to be politically correct and all but, well, it's a big-headed Arab. What could possibly be the rationale behind having a big-headed Arab as a mascot? I'm shocked that it made it this long.

A big debate in Jacksonville right now is over my brother-in-law's high school. His school, which now has predominantly black students, is named after Nathan B. Forrest, the first Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan. The odd thing is that Forrest played no direct part in local history.

How exactly did anyone ever think this mascot was a good idea?

Since I now live in the Coachella Valley, the fact that this news story has gone national has caused some buzz. I've only been here for a year, but I was telling some long-time residents that I can understand why it's offensive. Long-time residents told me the name and mascot are supposed to a reference to the Arabian knights, a la Aladdin, not Arabs as in people who currently live in the Middle East.