• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Saving Baseball: Some new rules for an old game

nate

I know how to speed up the game.  How about limiting it to 1 minute between changes of offense to defense.  That would shave 18 times at least 2-3 minutes per, so 36-54 minutes a game.  And heck, it wouldn't impact the game at all.   Oh wait, that would cut commercials.  never mind.   :wacko:

And every hitter doesn't need his "walk up" music. Get in the box and hit.

DH is both leagues.

No more body armor by guys at the plate. 

limit the number of times a catcher can go to the mound.  

batter has to stay in the box. 

pitcher has a clock before the next pitch

replay challenges

umps actually held accountable for strike zones

the shift thing is just plain dumb.  defenses should be able to align however they want

Is the 7th inning stretch even necessary?

Yes.

It is part of the fabric of baseball...

Since around the 1800's.  Since baseball helped revive this country after 9/11.  Since "Take me out to the ballgame."

It's bad enough to suffer with instant-replay for me.  I've hated this stinkin "K-Zone" tv strike zone since it was invented.  Let's just fire the Umpires, and have one "Arbiter" call the tech-truck on every play/pitch.  Better yet!  The truckies will just post the balls, strikes, outs, etc. on the scoreboard from their Brinks van.

Saving baseball from what? The $7.5 billion in annual revenue over the last few years which is expected to rise by another billion in 2014??

agreed.

And I think you're all crazy. When I become commisioner, I'm making the season 364 games. (Every day except yom kippur, so dodger fans will finally leave shawn green alone).

The Rangers refer to the Angels as CAL on their scoreboard?  Amazing.

A lot of this is just part of the game and isn't going anywhere.  Much of it is also pretty silly.  You aren't going to challenge the NFL in popularity if you make the batter stay in the box.  You aren't going to shorten commercial breaks.  

Baseball is pretty healthy.  Look at the tv contracts.  Look at how many people wear MLB gear now compared to 20 years ago.  They are making serious money.  I'm sure they'd like to make more, but I laugh when anyone talks about how baseball's popularity is dying and how they can't compete with the NFL.  

I agree about cutting down the time between pitches and catcher visits but I like having an actual difference between the leagues and for overshifts there is nothing besides the book of unwritten rules keeping someone from bunting to third base while nobody is home. I never understood why they don't. If the defense is giving you a free pass then take it.

Measures should be taken to make umpires more accountable and to quicken the pace of the game.

1. Have an NHL type replay system that is fast and efficient (all decisions to be made in New York and relayed via an earpiece to crew chief on field.

2. 60 seconds for pitchers to throw once they receive the ball. Penalty is a ball.

3. I like the idea of being able to tag batters out if they leave the batter's box.

4. Robot strike zones.

Agree.  There's some sort of mini-obsession with writers/pundits/bloggers/broadcasters who discuss baseball's relevancy, or irrelevancy and how the game isn't really the national past time, etc.  Well, no kidding.  Nothing's as big as the NFL, but who really cares?  What does it matter?  Why this perception that people want to see MLB on the same level as the NFL.  If you don't like baseball, and think it's for old people, don't pay attention to it.

I'm actually glad MLB isn't as big as the NFL.  Taking in an MLB game takes more focus and concentration than an NFL game.  It's sad to see MLB teams try to make the games more appealing to the general public.  The game's enough for me.  I don't need all the between inning games, contests, announcements, music, etc.  Keep all the noise and bluster in the NFL.

The day an MLB game mimics the NFL experience I'm done. 

I think a lot of this "baseball is dying" and "change the rules" is a response to the success of the NFL. Why does MLB need to compete with the NFL? Why do fans care if 200 million people watch the world series or if 12 million do? 

I know I'm the minority but I hate the DH. If you don't want to watch the pitcher bat then go get another sandwich. There's more to the game than what takes place in the batter's box and the DH diminishes all other parts of the game. If I want to watch a bunch of nonathletic oafs grunt and swing for the fences I'll grab a 12 pack and head to the softball field.

If I had my choice all the infields would be Astroturf and all the poles would be 330 from the plate with dead center at least 420. If teams were able to build legitimate contenders around speed and defense it would create a little diversity and better allow the teams that cry poor to compete.

Anything you wear to the plate you wear until you leave the field.