• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Homebrewing

red321

Alright, we decided to go...mostly big. We are going to brew a Hill Farmstead Abner Clone. It's a Double Pale Ale. OG =1.077 FG = 1.014 with an IBU of supposedly 100+ and an ABV of approx 8%. First crack at dry hopping. Seems a little less complex than the Heady recipe.

Also excited to bottle the first batch of Amber...going to be a busy day tomorrow!

Red, my son-in-law in SD brews all the time (He's had top 10 finishes in regional and national competitions).  I've had many of his beers and they are sensational.  His equipment was costly and at one time grew his own hops.

I'd be happy to put you in touch with him.

Is he in the industry? If you have placed and grow your own hops you have to be in the business. I know of many people who havent won awards and they get financial backing. 

Red, my son-in-law in SD brews all the time (He's had top 10 finishes in regional and national competitions).  I've had many of his beers and they are sensational.  His equipment was costly and at one time grew his own hops.

I'd be happy to put you in touch with him.

Thanks Bruce...as I get more in to it I will hit you up for that...am not ready to make the next big leap yep...but I can see it's on the horizon.

Batch #2 is in the fermenter...no major boilovers and fermentation is going full bore today. Glad I used a blow tube running in to a jug of sanitizer placed in a bucket or I'd have a mess on my hands.

We also had a quick sample of Batch #1 as we bottled it. Was really happy with how the Amber turned out, we ended up drinking two of the bottles (wrong bottles, couldn't be capped) even though it hasn't been carbonated yet....was like being in an English Pub.

• 2 weeks later...

My first boil went well on Sunday. Now I have it fermenting but the temperature seems to be too low in the area I'm keeping the bucket in. I'm going need to buy a little heater to keep next to it so I can regulate the surrounding environment a little better.

Awesome Lawrence...though at this point your primary fermentation should be winding down. Did you get a large krausen that has now died down? If you did get a large krausen and it has died down you are probably ok (look at me...apparently I'm an expert now). What is the temperature of the area you are keeping it in as compared to the temperature they recommend for the strain of yeast you are using...also keeping in mind that the temperature in the fermenter is probably a few degrees higher.

I opened a bottle of the first batch last week (a week early) and was quite surprised with how well it turned out....hopefully after another week of conditioning it smooths it out just a tad. Bottling batch two after a week of dry hopping this Sunday. I'm hoping I didn't aerate it when moving it from the primary to secondary fermenter. Was quite happy with how it tasted prior to dry hopping it.

It was bubbling/burping pretty good for the first few days but has now seemed to have died off. I couldn't really tell how large the krausen was because I can't really see through the bucket too well. The temp is around 67 with the recommendation being 70-72. The good thing is that it never has gone above 73 so I'm not too worried. I'm just afraid it might be dipping too low in the middle of the night because the area of my house where I have to keep it is next to a window and it's been getting a little chilly these past couple of nights.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Similarly, don't worry about aerating when transferring from primary to secondary fermenter.  Granted, you don't want to agitate or stir huge pockets of air, but just opening and transferring shouldn't be a problem

Thanks AngelsLongBall. My primary concern was there seemed to be a lot of tiny bubbles in the siphon tube as the beer traveled between the two buckets.

It was bubbling/burping pretty good for the first few days but has now seemed to have died off. I couldn't really tell how large the krausen was because I can't really see through the bucket too well. The temp is around 67 with the recommendation being 70-72. The good thing is that it never has gone above 73 so I'm not too worried. I'm just afraid it might be dipping too low in the middle of the night because the area of my house where I have to keep it is next to a window and it's been getting a little chilly these past couple of nights.

Thanks for the tips guys.

I think you are good then...it appears like you had your primary fermentation. At this point you should be seeing the airlock "bubble" every minute or so. If it's bubbling more than that than fermentation is probably still occurring. I'd just leave it alone for...I'm assuming your recipe calls for two weeks in the primary fermentation bucket?

• 1 month later...

Time to revisit the thread...

How is your first batch or two going Lawrence?

I'm on the fifth batch, a Porter, currently sitting in the fermenter. Had some issues with the Wort Chiller so I'm a little concerned unsanitized water made it in to the wort...guess I'll find out when I move it over to the secondary fermenter. Not sure I pitched enough yeast either, the OG was a little higher than I planned.

Batch 1 - An Amber, turned out very good, good reviews.

Batch 2 - A Double IPA turned out awesome. I have people asking me to make more of it. I was shocked at how good it turned out. A little bummed I lost so much to the initial fermentation and trub so I will try and make a few adjustments next time.

Batch 3 - An English Mild. Ready to drink now, the first bottle was good, though I gave a bottle to someone and they absolutely hated it. I'm wondering if there was an issue with the bottling on the one I gave them. Will do some more tasting of it this weekend. I'm really hoping it turns out to be a good session style beer at 130 or so calories.

Batch 4 - A Rye IPA. I split the batch in half and dry hopped one batch with Amarillo Hops and the other with Citra Hops. Just went in to the bottles last week. Initial tasting I was much happier with the Citra Hopped batch. Hopefully the batch turns out well, I'm supposed to bring it to a Super Bowl Party. 

Forgot to update! My buddy and I just bottled my first batch (a red ale) last week. Took a taste during the bottling and was really impressed. I dry hopped it about 2 weeks before bottling for a little extra taste. I'll probably start drinking it in another week or so.

For my next batch I think I'm going to do a double IPA. It will be a good winter beer if we even have a winter this year. That rye IPA with the citra hops sounds good Red. I might have to try something like that when I get a little more experimental with my brews.

• 3 weeks later...

The latest update.

Brought the Rye IPA out in public at a Super Bowl party last week. I was amazed at how different the two version of the beer were. Distinct difference between the version dry hopped with Amarillo vs. the version dry hopped with Citra. Great way to learn, creating one variable between the two and see how they turn out differently. The Amarillo was spicier with less citrus, almost like  Both received very positive reviews, so I was pleased. Opened up the first bottle of a New World Porter clone and I'm happy with how it is turning out. Another week or two of aging will knock down the last bit of yeasty tinge and it should be ready to go.

How did the Red Ale turn out Lawrence? Did you brew the dIPA?

• 1 month later...

Forgot about this thread until wicked brought up home brewing.

Quick update...tasted my attempt at a Heady Topper knockoff last week. It's good, very good, but not quite right. My OG was a little high and the final product is a little sweeter than I would have hoped. Luckily I had a can of HT to compare it to so I can make a little adjustment. The hop profile wasn't too far off. Wasn't perfect, but there will be no complaints in our household of "getting rid" of the close but not quite attempt.

The porter we brewed (a knockoff of the Avery New World Porter) was fantastic. Nice chocolate/toasty taste...even my wife who doesn't like darker beers is a fan.