• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Current Prospect 2014 impact

Hubs

In 2013, the Angels had a down year but did have several rookies make their debuts. Now, none made the impact that Trout had made in 2012, but a few players did do well enough to show they belonged for 2014. Hank Conger and Kole Calhoun stand out and Luis Jimenez showed signs of life with the bat to go along with spectavular defense before slumping and getting injured. Grant Green did hit well.

So I ask, Which guys from the system will make an impact for 2014?

Edited by Hubs

I hope they invite Matt Long to camp and give him a chance to make the team as a 5th OFer or backup 2bman.  He's my sleeper.

I think Morin has a good shot to make the team out of spring

Guys that I see getting at least a cup of coffee this year

Alvarez

Lindsey

Grichuck

Sappington

Berg

If one of our pitchers goes out for an extended period toward the middle of the season and Sapp is performing well at AA, I think they bring him up and let him work out of the rotation for a bit. 

I like Doc's suggestion of Matt Long - I could see him sticking over Shuck, ah, long term.

I agree with Morin and Berg getting some innings, with Alvarez being the surprise contributor.

If Kendrick is traded, I think Lindsey gets some good time in, especially if Green continues to suck at 2B.

But here's my dark-horse: Matt Shoemaker. I could see him being a solid #5 and a fill-in if need be. I know the Angels potentially have Hanson, Blanton, and Williams vying for #5 starts, but I'm really hoping Shoemaker gets a shot.

- Morin will be in the bullpen out of Spring Training.

- Alvarez will be a mid/late season call up.  He still has command and control demons to conquer.  

- Berg will be on and off the club periodically throughout the year. 

- Cron, Lindsey and Grichuk will be late season promotions. 

My darkhorses: Matt Shoemaker, Cory Rasmus and Michael Roth.  Shoemaker showed enough last year to be #6 or #7 on the SP depth chart.  Ramsus wasn't completely awful in his stint with the Angels and has had nice minor league numbers.  Could be a useful middle reliever.

And finally, my true darkhorse pick, Michael Roth.  I think it's entirely possible that he pitches well in AA/AAA next year and becomes a Joe Saunders type for the Angels, which would be HUGE for their rotation. 

Forgot about Shoemaker.  Actually think he'll get a shot as the swing/6th or first guy up for some spot starts early in the year.  Not sure about Roth.  Can't see him contributing more than minor league depth at this point.  Also think Maronde has an outside shot at seeing some time with the big club in 2014 as a reliever although I'd still like to see him moved back to being a starter. 

I hope they invite Matt Long to camp and give him a chance to make the team as a 5th OFer or backup 2bman.  He's my sleeper.

I think Morin has a good shot to make the team out of spring

Guys that I see getting at least a cup of coffee this year

Alvarez

Lindsey

Grichuck

Sappington

Berg

If one of our pitchers goes out for an extended period toward the middle of the season and Sapp is performing well at AA, I think they bring him up and let him work out of the rotation for a bit. 

None of these guys will ever be MLB regulars imo

Hard to say if they'll be regulars or not.  I think Alvarez will be a 7th/8h inning RP, which could be considered "regular".  Lindsey should be a starting 2B at the major league level eventually, just probably not an elite one. The same goes for Cron.  Grichuk could go either way.  Sappington should be a #4/5 SP with considerable upside, in fact he's close to being that right now.  And Berg, his minor league numbers certainly warrant exploring him in the bullpen to see if he can get major leaguers out at a similar rate.