• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cardinals could trade Lance Lynn or Shelby Miller this offseason for a new shortstop

Docwaukee

Lynn's 3.90 ERA and 1.30 WHIP the past 2 seasons in the NL project to basically a #4 guy in the AL.

The Lynn K's (1/inning) are nice, but he does face the pitcher on average some 2 to 3 times/game.

The only thing he has over Richards at this point is having pitched some 375 MLB innings over the past 2 seasons.

Richards gets many more GB outs.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Why are we skipping the part where Lance Lynn isn't really a good pitcher?

A 26 year old coming off a 3.3 WAR season isn't a good pitcher? Granted, he's not that great but he's an above average starter. I'm not expecting us to land an ace or a #2 pitcher with our trades. Pitchers like Lynn are probably who we are going targetting. 

Edited by Angels_Baseball

And this here is the problem with the strategy of selling low on Aybar and Bourjos.

Aybar and Bourjos for Miller very well may be a very fair trade for both teams, but ultimately the Cardinals probably wouldn't do it because of the perception of getting a bad deal and the belief that Aybar/Bourjos should get a lesser return.

If front offices are making deals based on public perception and not the best interests of the club they should be fired.

A 26 year old coming off a 3.3 WAR season isn't a good pitcher? Granted, he's not that great but he's an above average starter. I'm not expecting us to land an ace or a #2 pitcher with our trades. Pitchers like Lynn are probably who we are going targetting. 

Above average starters typically don't have career ERA+ below the leave average.  The guy has a career ERA+ of 97 as Scott pointed out and is coming off a season where he posted an ERA+ of 91.  The guy would likely put up Ryan Dempster numbers in the AL.  Lance Lynn benefits from being on a very good team. 

Above average starters typically don't have career ERA+ below the leave average.  The guy has a career ERA+ of 97 as Scott pointed out and is coming off a season where he posted an ERA+ of 91.  The guy would likely put up Ryan Dempster numbers in the AL.  Lance Lynn benefits from being on a very good team. 

Yeah maybe above average was being a little nice. I still think he's one of the most logical guys we go after this offseason since he'll give a lot of innings and be at least around league average while being pretty cheap. 

Just out of curiosity for the people who don't like Lynn, which other pitchers would you like to see us go after?

Yeah maybe above average was being a little nice. I still think he's one of the most logical guys we go after this offseason since he'll give a lot of innings and be at least around league average while being pretty cheap. 

Just out of curiosity for the people who don't like Lynn, which other pitchers would you like to see us go after?

Tim Hudson.   No compensation, essentially the same exact pitcher he was ten years ago, he's old but he's been better than Lynn.  

I'm with those people who think this team needs to bite the bullet for a year or two luxury cap wise and trade for pitchers who will be around as Trout enters his peak.  So I'd sign a Hudson, possibly bring back Vargas, chase Tanaka and then start trading away guys like Trumbo.  Arte talked up the TV deal, he's got it....  Taking a chunk of that for a couple of years doesn't seem like a bad move for the guy that understands you need to spend money to make money..  If it's true he is the guy behind the Hamilton deal then maybe he should be the guy that pays the price? 

I don't dislike Lynn, so much as I think you are overrating him.   A guy with his mediocre BB/9 rate and tendency to allow runners could end up going Chan Ho Park on us in the AL.  Might feel differently if the AL suddenly dud away with the DH..

Lynn wouldn't be a bad addition, he just shouldn't be 'the' addition. Much like some of the depth we have offensively, who have plus skills but are flawed, he'd be the same pitching wise. It would make sense to flip from our depth to add a similar piece to our weakness.

Would probably prefer kelly, but I'd be fine for either if it was aybar. (Not because I dislike aybar).

The Angels should only trade for Lynn if they are getting him instead of resigning Vargas.

They still need to get a solid #2/#3 type of pitcher.  Now, if they sign Tanaka, getting Lynn makes more sense.

Weaver, Wilson, Tanaka, Lynn and Richards is a pretty dang good starting rotation.

I can see hudson coming here and becoming blanton part 2.   He's old, has pitched in the NL for the past several seasons, and his peripherals are bad.

What periphs are you looking at?     His H/9, HR/9, BB/9, and K/9 last year were nearly identical to what he compiled while in Oakland...

Edited by Inside Pitch

He probably benefits a lot from his catcher.

This I agree with.  If I were the Angels, I may try to get Kelly + Siegrist for Aybar rather than Lance Lynn.  That would be a much better haul for the Angels.

As a Cards fan, I'd be happy with a Lynn for Aybar swap.  Not so much if it were Kelly + Siegrist.

As a fellow fan of the Angels/Cards, have to agree with that last sentence.  Think Lynn/Kelly + Freeman should get Aybar.  If the Angels want to offer Bourjos too, then Lyons and Salas.  Two starters, two relievers.