• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ubaldo Jimenez

Chuck

I'd really like the Angels to sign him him as a FA this off-season. The Indians discovered a mechanical flaw in his delivery that got him back to his days when he was a true #1 with the Rockies, and it showed as he dominated from June on. Overall, Jimenez went 13-9 this past season with a 3.30 ERA over 32 starts and 182 2/3 innings. He struck out 194 batters and had a 1.33 WHIP.

For the money, I think adding Jimenez and Vargas and shoring up the BP may be the best route to go this offseason. 

Tanaka is going to cost a fortune and isn't a sure thing in the big leagues, and David Price is going to cost an arm and a league. Unless of course we can get him for the cost of Trumbo, Bourjos and a good young arm like Sappington. One thing is for sure, the Rays won't need an arm back to replace Price in the rotation. They have plenty of arms ready to take his place, but lack some offseason. 

I can tell you this from some information I came across recently. Joe Maddon really likes Bourjos and Trumbo. 

A rotation of Weaver, Jimenez, Wilson, Vargas and Richards should be very good. If we add a couple more BP arms via FA or trades, even better.

If Trumbo is dealt, his production will need to be replaced. We can look to fill that via a DH type player in FA or a trade. 

How about bringing Mike Napoli back, or making a run at Brian McCann to be our part-time DH/C? Napoli could be our backup 1B and DH. A couple more to consider for DH, Carlos Beltran, Nelson Cruz or Kendrys Morales (if Trumbo is dealt for a SP). 

Napoli was paid $14 million (including incentives). No way would he be a back-up and take a pay-cut.

I don't see the FA route the path the Angels FA will take. Rumors abound that the Dodgers are all in on Price.

Napoli would be a starter Bruce. DH/1B.

But I'm all for getting Morales back as our DH/1B.

He's too much of a risk on a multi-year deal, which he'll get. Cleveland is also expected to extend him a qualifying offer, so the Angels would have to give up their first round pick.

He turned down the qualifying offer already, as did KMo.

I'd easily give him a 3-5 year deal.

You're always rolling the dice on signing starting pitchers to long term deals. Nothing has changed in that regard.

Ubaldo was a top 5 pitcher from June on and still has a lot in the tank.

Napoli would be a starter Bruce. DH/1B.

But I'm all for getting Morales back as our DH/1B.

Chuck, you going in the wrong direction.  The Angels need to unload position players, not add.  Where would Pujols fit in, who you know will want to play in 90% of the games?  The FO needs to concentrate on young players especially pitching.

No thank you to any of the options here. Napoli? Boston isn't gonna let him walk away and he isn't worth losing a draft pick over. Same goes for Morales, I'd rather see what CJ Cron can do rather than give up a draft pick for Morales. 

As for Ubaldo, I don't like his command issues and I don't trust our pitching coach to keep him in line. I'm also not convinced that he is "fixed". From June on isn't enough evidence, at least to me, to prove that he has turned it around. 

Napoli wouldn't come back to the Angels at this point in his career.  Scioscia places a great emphasis on the relationship between his pitchers and catchers and he and Dipoto were both able to agree that Mathis' bat wasn't cutting it and that Chris Iannetta was a good option. 

Dipoto and Scioscia are still capable of working together and finding a common medium, and perhaps Brian McCann could be that guy, but the Angels catching really isn't the problem, so it wouldn't be in their Angels best interest to lose focus on what their true needs are. 

They need pitching, young, controllable pitching and depth in the rotation.  You'd think that Ubaldo Jimenez would be part of that solution but that would be oversimplifying the issue.  The Angels are looking to remain under the salary tax this year, which opens up more funds next year and allows them more breathing room (the tax line will be increasing in 2015 as well).  They may make one or two signings tops, but I wouldn't expect these acquisitions to cumulatively add up over 10 million.  This means a bullpen arm is likely as well as a lower tier SP like Phil Hughes. 

As for the young SP depth they so desperately seek, I think Dipoto will show his true colors.  He's always been a high OBP and defense oriented scout/GM.  He'll take full advantage of the market emphasis on power hitters.  There aren't enough proven middle of the order hitters available this winter.  He's almost guaranteed to trade Mark Trumbo. 

He won't trade Bourjos because his value is too low and whatever pitching staff he assembles is going to need all the defense it can get, either from him or Calhoun (or both assuming there's a time-share). 

Yeah, but they were still offered the QO, and that's the point. They'll cost a pick.

I really don't care about the draft pick. 

I want a guy with quality stuff that can be the ace of the staff that won't cost an arm and a leg. I believe that Ubaldo Jimenez is that guy. But that's just my opinion. 

Not caring about the draft picks is what has plunged this team into high payroll/low performance results.

The Angels need to step away from the mortgage the future practices since they have already blown several drafts in a row. Ulbaldo is nottgat player that a team with a weak minor leagues should be giving up a midfle pick in the first round. He just doesn't have the stable resume.

The Angels need to give Vargas a qualifying offer and quit fing around with worrying if he accepts. If he does you have at least a one year rental at the league going price. You may be able to get a lower overall number with a three year deal or if he bolts you have a draft pick instead of giving him away for free.

F no for dealing away too much talent for Price and having 2 years of top arb money or even more if theytry a contract extension. Giving up Sappington will bite the Angels ass as much as Corbin or Skaggs. Price will bolt to the Yankees and we will be out two players still under club control and a young arm that is probably going to be MLB ready in two seasons.

Stop the madness.

Edited by Eric Notti

Not caring about the draft picks is what has plunged this team into high payroll/low performance results.

The Angels need to step away from the mortgage the future practices since they have already blown several drafts in a row. Ulbaldo is nottgat player that a team with a weak minor leagues should be giving up a midfle pick in the first round. He just doesn't have the stable resume.

The Angels need to give Vargas a qualifying offer and quit fing around with worrying if he accepts. If he does you have at least a one year rental at the league going price. You may be able to get a lower overall number with a three year deal or if he bolts you have a draft pick instead of giving him away for free.

F no for dealing away too much talent for Price and having 2 years of top arb money or even more if theytry a contract extension. Giving up Sappington will bite the Angels ass as much as Corbin or Skaggs. Price will bolt to the Yankees and we will be out two players still under club control and a young arm that is probably going to be MLB ready in two seasons.

Stop the madness.

Agreed. This organization really needs to stop pissing away the future. If they continue down the current path they're on trying to "win now", our future will only get worse and worse. They just need to go back to being a smart org that builds for the future with cheap players from within NOW. No more dicking around with patch work BS