• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shooters at LAX

nate

Yes for the better. Threats shift and in this day  and age, they have be much more vigilant in their procedures.Like I said, at the time there was no way of knowing whether it was a lone gunman with his own agenda or whether he was working in concert with others. I'd prefer they err on the side of caution even if after the fact it turns out to be unnecessary. Can you imagine the crap that would be levied if they had assumed that he was alone and the threat was isolated and it turned out to be a bigger incident? 

Edited by Lifetime

But the "no security" plane would have riders that get to skip the security line because they agree to board the plane based on the honor policy that they won't do anything to harm the passengers or hijack the plane.

LOL. Yeah, I'm sure Delta is interested in losing a $350MM 747 because somebodies pinky swear wasn't as strong as they thought.

Every incident is dealt with on its own terms.  The El Al incident may have occurred in a smaller area, and authorities may have had intel that determined he was the lone threat.

In this last LAX incident, I'm sure they needed to search/secure lots of bags/luggage that was left unattended by fleeing passengers in order to determine he hadn't brought explosive devices with him.  Then, everybody has to clear security/TSA again to re-enter.

I've read a lot lately about how people think TSA agents should be armed.  Arming a select few TSA Agents, or putting armed LAX Officers back at entry-points/stations is a better idea.  Most TSA Agents did not apply for the job hoping to become armed security guards, and most probably would not pass a certification process.

Since 9/11 the ops-plan is to overreact instead of under-react.  But, different agencies will respond according to their own policies and procedures.

If your buddy works at LAX, it would be relevant.  If not, he can only give insight into how his airport might respond (depending on his level of security).

LOL. Yeah, I'm sure Delta is interested in losing a $350MM 747 because somebodies pinky swear wasn't as strong as they thought.

My point overall was that the screening is bullshit and doesn't make me feel any more safe.

And according to this article, apparently they're at risk to lose a $350MM 747 with the TSA there or not...

TSA screening works only 'a little better than chance,' according to government report

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/13/5100702/tsa-screening-works-only-a-little-better-than-chance-according-to

LAX shooting victim bled alone for 33 minutes

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57612495/lax-shooting-victim-bled-alone-for-33-minutes-ap/

"I basically think there's a lack of coordination between entities at this airport. That lack of coordination may have led to something that shouldn't have happened," Payes said. "We may be talking about Officer Hernandez as a survivor."

• 1 month later...

I really hope that's not true, Lawrence.  His peers should've scooped him up, and hauled ass to the trauma center immediately.  I imagine they aren't taught that same Police mindset of "We don't want our guy laying under a sheet without trying to save him."

L.A. Fire Department dramatically overhauls response to shootings

The new goal is to have Los Angeles Fire Department paramedics and firefighters, protected by armed law enforcement teams, rapidly enter potentially dangerous areas during active shooting incidents to treat victims and get them en route to hospital trauma centers.

"The LAX incident really was a paradigm shift for us," said Fire Department Medical Director Marc Eckstein, an emergency room physician and proponent of the more aggressive approach to rendering medical aid. "There are people whose lives may depend on us getting them out of there quickly."

Although there was no way the first responders could have saved the TSA agent, I'm glad changes are being made in order to save lives in the future. Good move by the LAFD.