• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you do this trade (for kicks and giggles)

tdawg87

So there's a lot of talk about the Cardinals and Blue Jays being potential trading partners, but one team that no one mentions is the Brewers (probably because they're the Brewers). The Brew Crew finished 19th in the majors in runs last season while finishing closer to middle of the pack in ERA. This is a team that is probably going to have to rebuild soon, as their farm system is in pretty rough shape (Hellweg was their number 3 pitching prospect before the season started). That said, they may want to look for some salary relief.

So, I was looking over their roster, and they could certainly use an upgrade at 1B. Juan Francisco isn't terrible, but he isn't really good either. They also might be able to use a backup catcher. They are almost certainly going to pick up Aoki's option for 2013, but it is possible that they will trade him by the deadline. In that case they could use an outfielder.

Therefore, I propose a trade that would send Mark Trumbo, Hank Conger, and Peter Bourjos to the Brewers for Yovani Gallardo and Jim Henderson. The Angels get a number 3 starter and a solid reliever while the Brewers shed about 5.5 million in payroll (after arbitration) while getting an upgrade at 1st, a solid backup catcher, and a solid outfielder as a bench player/replacement for Aoki should he be traded. Gallardo is coming off a down year so they can't really sell high on him and expect a huge haul of prospects. Then again they can ask for whatever they want because they don't have to trade him at all.

I understand that the Brewers would have a significantly weakened pitching staff after this trade, and their GM has recently said that trading him doesn't make too much sense. Still, it's fun to speculate and a guy like Gallardo would be absolutely perfect for this pitching staff, should the Brewers ever decide to put him on the market.

Although this will start a flame war, you are selling low on Peter Bourjos in that scenario. Of course Gallardo would be nice to pick up but I would think Trumbo and Iannetta would more likely get that done than by throwing in Peter too.

The Brew Crew finished 19th in the majors in runs last season while finishing closer to middle of the pack in ERA. 

Also remember that they were without steroids for over half a season.  His production would have put them in the top 1/2 if not top 1/3 in runs.

So there's a lot of talk about the Cardinals and Blue Jays being potential trading partners, but one team that no one mentions is the Brewers (probably because they're the Brewers). The Brew Crew finished 19th in the majors in runs last season while finishing closer to middle of the pack in ERA. This is a team that is probably going to have to rebuild soon, as their farm system is in pretty rough shape (Hellweg was their number 3 pitching prospect before the season started). That said, they may want to look for some salary relief.

So, I was looking over their roster, and they could certainly use an upgrade at 1B. Juan Francisco isn't terrible, but he isn't really good either. They also might be able to use a backup catcher. They are almost certainly going to pick up Aoki's option for 2013, but it is possible that they will trade him by the deadline. In that case they could use an outfielder.

Therefore, I propose a trade that would send Mark Trumbo, Hank Conger, and Peter Bourjos to the Brewers for Yovani Gallardo and Jim Henderson. The Angels get a number 3 starter and a solid reliever while the Brewers shed about 5.5 million in payroll (after arbitration) while getting an upgrade at 1st, a solid backup catcher, and a solid outfielder as a bench player/replacement for Aoki should he be traded. Gallardo is coming off a down year so they can't really sell high on him and expect a huge haul of prospects. Then again they can ask for whatever they want because they don't have to trade him at all.

I understand that the Brewers would have a significantly weakened pitching staff after this trade, and their GM has recently said that trading him doesn't make too much sense. Still, it's fun to speculate and a guy like Gallardo would be absolutely perfect for this pitching staff, should the Brewers ever decide to put him on the market.

The Angels need to trade salary, not young cheap talent.  Kendrick, Aybar, and Iannetta should get at least 1 young starter and a few young BP arms.  Kendrick, Aybar, and Iannetta will get you the most in return, pitching wise, because you have Toronto, St Louis, and KC that all need upgrades in those areas and they have what the Angels need, pitching.  The offensive production from Field, Green, and Conger would at the very least be a wash from the aforementioned.

No reason to sell low on Bourjos, so better off starting him in SLC.  That way they'd still have Calhoun, Trout, and Hamilton in the outfield with Trumbo at DH.  Remember, the Cards need a SS, the the Jays need a catcher and/or a second baseman, and the Reds can use an upgrade at catcher as well, and all these teams have depth in pitching.  This is where JD needs to look first and foremost.

Tempting, but no. Gallardo is a bit too worrisome - he seems like another "almost ace" that is on the verge of collapse...I don't know, like Scott Kazmir maybe? I don't know what his issue was last year, but in the few years before he was very consistent, although never jumped to that ace level that he was expected to.

At this point I'm not sure Dipoto wants to stake his career on a risky pitcher like Gallardo. His moves this offseason really might determine what sort of major league GM career he's going to have. GMs sometimes don't get second chances.

The only really concerning thing about Gallardo is the K rate. It was the worst of his career by a wide margin. His ERA was a little high but his FIP was right where it has been his entire career.

He got off to a horrible start no doubt, but he finished the year very strong. In his last 8 starts he was 4-1 with a 2.41 ERA and a 1.07 WHIP. Obviously not a huge sample size but it could be a sign that whatever plagued him at the beginning of the year was fixed.

Seems like a bit much to give up. Those are our three primary trade chips gone in one deal with insufficient return, IMO.

I still haven't figured out why Toronto is so in love with former Angels' catchers. Already they have had Mike Napoli (albeit only briefly), Jose Molina and Jeff Mathis.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

That is perhaps connected to the poor K rate this year.

I still think he is worth looking at. Maybe not at the exact package I had in the OP but I think he can still be a good number 3 in a pitcher's park (Milwaukee has always been a hitter's park) and his ERA was 3.77 away from home in 2013.

I think you can find significant faults with any established pitcher. Such as decline in K rate, decline in velocity, etc... While the FO absolutely has to take these things into consideration, they will be hard pressed to find an established number 3 pitcher who doesn't have those faults, and if they do said pitcher is probably going to cost more than they can give up.

Nope. That's way, way too much for a declining pitcher with declining stuff. And he's only under contract for two more years (club option)...and he's not even a bargain. I would say that he's slightly overpaid. 

Also, he averaged just 5.8 innings per start this year. A tired and overworked bullpen isn't an effective bullpen. 

That is perhaps connected to the poor K rate this year.

I still think he is worth looking at. Maybe not at the exact package I had in the OP but I think he can still be a good number 3 in a pitcher's park (Milwaukee has always been a hitter's park) and his ERA was 3.77 away from home in 2013.

I think you can find significant faults with any established pitcher. Such as decline in K rate, decline in velocity, etc... While the FO absolutely has to take these things into consideration, they will be hard pressed to find an established number 3 pitcher who doesn't have those faults, and if they do said pitcher is probably going to cost more than they can give up.

Meh he has a career 3.54 home era and 3.93 away era.

I'd be fine with a trumbo for yovani straight up swap though

Edited by Poozy