• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLBTR- Arb. Eligibles: LA Angels

By Tim Dierkes [October 24 at 12:29pm CST]

Matt Swartz has developed a very accurate model that MLBTR uses to project arbitration salaries, as explained in this series of posts. We've heard from many MLB teams and agencies that reference the projections in their work.  The Angels are next in our series.  Estimated service time is in parentheses, and estimated 2014 salary follows.

Trumbo projects for a healthy salary his first time through arbitration, with career numbers of 95 home runs and 284 RBI and a platform year with 34 homers and 100 knocked in.  His flaw is a .299 career on-base percentage, which should improve if he holds onto gains in his walk rate and his batting average recovers.  There is value in a player with Trumbo's profile, especially at $4.7MM.  I wouldn't be too aggressive about a long-term deal, though, and a healthy Albert Pujols would give the Angels the depth to consider trading Trumbo.

Bourjos is another trade candidate.  This year a hamstring injury and wrist fracture each cost him over a month, with September wrist surgery ending his season.  Angels GM Jerry Dipoto showed faith in Bourjos as his starting center fielder entering the season, and if Trumbo, Pujols, and Josh Hamilton are rotated through the designated hitter spot in 2014, there's room for everyone to start.  On the other hand, MVP candidate Mike Trout is more than capable of handling center, making a Bourjos trade possible.  Bourjos' value is at a low point after the injuries limited him to just 55 games in 2013, but he's also quite affordable his first time through arbitration and should remain cheap beyond 2014.

Frieri notched 37 saves in 2013, so he'll get paid through arbitration despite allowing 11 home runs with a 3.80 ERA.  Agents of relievers like Joe NathanGrant BalfourJoaquin Benoit,Edward Mujica, and Brian Wilson are surely hoping the Angels will throw some money at the ninth inning this winter, pushing Frieri to a setup role.  Regardless, he's worth retaining at his projected salary.

The Angels' bullpen also includes arbitration eligible relievers Jepsen and Gutierrez.  Jepsen, 29, averaged almost 96 miles per hour on his fastball and whiffed a batter per inning in 2013.  He also allowed 41 hits in 36 innings, missing time due to a lat strain and emergency appendectomy.  With a $1.4MM projection, he's worth retaining.  Gutierrez, another hard thrower, won a spot in the Royals' bullpen out of Spring Training but was designated for assignment in July.  The Angels added him on a waiver claim, and he posted a 5.19 ERA for them in 26 innings despite striking out 9.7 per nine innings.  His spot on the 40-man roster seems tenuous, even with a low projected salary.

Williams was again a useful swingman, but with his salary projected to nearly double, the Angels might consider non-tendering him and using the funds elsewhere.  Hanson is a certain non-tender, after missing significant time due to a personal matter, hitting the DL for a forearm strain, and getting a demotion to Triple-A.  At just 27 years old, Hanson's former promise may earn him a big league contract on the free agent market, if his health checks out.

With two years and 122 days of Major League service, Nelson represents the unofficial Super Two cutoff for 2013.  With a projected salary only $500K over the league minimum, that's not a big factor in the Angels' tender decision.  Nelson joined the Angels from the Yankees on a May 18th waiver claim, but was designated for assignment less than a month later.  He remained in the organization after accepting an outright assignment, and after finding his way back to the bigs hit the DL for a hamstring injury.  Expect him to be cut loose by the Angels.

If the Angels tender contracts to Trumbo, Frieri, Jepsen, and Bourjos, they're looking at a projected $10.6MM for four arbitration eligible players.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/10/arbitration-eligibles-los-angeles-angels.html#disqus_thread

Hanson, Jepsen, Gutierrez, and Nelson should be non-tendered for sure.   $7.5 million better spent

Hanson has never been the same since early 2011.

Jepsen has had ELEVEN seasons in this org, and still hasn't put together a FULL SOLID MLB season.   How many MLB pitchers go that long in one org without finding themself and suddenly find it with that same org?

Gutierrez is too wild and allows too many hits.

Nelson doesn't impress me much.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Williams, outside of 1 1/2 bad months in 2013, has been pretty decent here and features 4 pitches, topping out at 94mph.

He's worked his innings count up to 169, after pitching 137 innings in 2012.

His control was solid in 2012, but the 1 1/2 bad months skewed his BBs in 2013.

I trust him a lot more than I trust Hanson, going forward.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I think for the price, and what we have.  You have to tender Jerome.  If you non tender him, you could theoretically have a starting lineup of Weaver, CJ, Richards, Blanton, and Hanson.  Not to mention no longman in the pen.  I think the Angels will work out a 3 year contract with him, where he won't quite make the $3.9 million, but will make close to that.  

Although I think Hanson won't be tendered.  Which makes the Williams retention even more important.

Hanson, Jepsen, Gutierrez, and Nelson should be non-tendered for sure.   $7.5 million better spent

Hanson has never been the same since early 2011.

Jepsen has had ELEVEN seasons in this org, and still hasn't put together a FULL SOLID MLB season.   How many MLB pitchers go that long in one org without finding themself and suddenly find it with that same org?

Gutierrez is too wild and allows too many hits.

Nelson doesn't impress me much.

If the Angels suspect that Hanson's health is in question then yes definitely non-tender him. HOWEVER, if he seems healthy enough, $3.9 million for a back-end starter would probably intrigue some other teams in trade. If Arte is breaking the bank open then, only if he is healthy, would I even think about putting him in the 5th spot of the rotation (or alternatively as a long-relief guy or even turning him into a full time reliever).

The same is true of Jepsen, as there are several teams that would take a flier on a 96-mph fastball that can be controlled for 2014 and maybe 2015. Trading Jepsen is best in my mind as I don't feel he has the grit to do closer/late-inning work. I feel the same way you do about him AO.

Gutierrez is a toss-up but he hasn't impressed me that much.

Unless Nelson is our 3B then non-tender him.

Williams, outside of 1 1/2 bad months in 2013, has been pretty decent here and features 4 pitches, topping out at 94mph.

He's worked his innings count up to 169, after pitching 137 innings in 2012.

His control was solid in 2012, but the 1 1/2 bad months skewed his BBs in 2013.

I trust him a lot more than I trust Hanson, going forward.

True, but only in a long relief role, and for 1 million ish. I think he should take it, and consider himself fortunate. 

I think everyone on that list except Trumbo, Frieri, and Bourjos will be non-tendered.  The pitching needs a complete overhaul.  We're stuck with Blanton so I'm sure he will take over long relief if he's on the roster opening day. 

Blanton will have no choice on his role with the team ... but you better believe he'll be competing for a starters job in SP.

Joe Blanton should have the same chance in the competition for a rotation spot that I do.

And now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go get my left arm loosened up.

Glad to hear that you have that covered. God of Runs and I are going to ST to fix the bullpen, so it's all good.

Buy your champagne now, folks.