• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLBTR- Offseason Outlook: LA Angels

The Yankees drop nearly $40 mil in Pettitte, Hughes, Rivera, Granderson. They may be interested in swinging a multi-team deal that nets them Aybar and helps us land some pitching. They can't possibly enter another season counting on Jeter and Nunez at SS, can they?

Philly could be interested in a young OF like Bourjos or Trumbo. Maybe they'll eat some money on next year's salary for Lee or Hamels.

The Angels would love nothing more than to make their first order of business a lengthy extension for star Mike Trout, but that's probably not in the cards thanks to the hefty contracts given to Albert Pujols, Josh Hamilton, and others.

But its not our money!

Sincerely,

The Its Not Our Money Brigade

Really ? Every year, the people who care about the money have been proven wrong. But you think an MLBTR post helps your side?

1.  Use money ear-marked for Vargas to make a hard push for Tanaka.  Worst case if you lose Tanaka re-sign Vargas.

2.  Trade for young arms (starters and relievers) by dangling Bourjos, Trumbo, Kendrick, Iannetta, Aybar, etc.

3.  Sign 2 relievers to improve the pen.

4.  Promote Morin (and hope he earns the promotion in spring training.

Would love to see a pen of "The Beard", Frieri, DDLR, Morin, Burnett, Williams and maybe one more POWER arm either from the minors or through trade.

A rotation of Weaver, Wilson, Tanaka, Richards and filled out with a young arm through trade or someone like Tim Hudson would make me happy.

Really ? Every year, the people who care about the money have been proven wrong. But you think an MLBTR post helps your side?

How have they (we) been proven wrong? Because Arte Moreno continues to wastefully spend? At some point even he'll hit a limit - I'm just hoping it comes AFTER extending Trout, not before.

From your reply I take it that you believe the fact that the Angels have $88MM in 2014 tied up in five players (Including Vernon Wells) doesn't impact Dipoto's and Moreno's roster decisions? A number that, in 2016, will balloon $97 million for four players?

I take it that you disbelieve the notion that its better to spend $20MM+ on an aging--but proven!--veteran (e.g. Wells, Pujols, Hamilton), than a few million or less on an untried but rising young player, or a lesser known veteran player who ends up producing close to, or even, as well as said aging veteran?

I don't care how wealthy an owner is, ALL have their limits. Its a GM's job to assemble the best team they can within those limits. That means the game is partially, even largely, about getting value per dollar. For example, in most cases its better to spend $2MM on a 2 WAR player than $15MM on a 3 WAR player - because the extra $12MM can be used to improve the team elsewhere.

Lets say we sign tanaka, two bullpen arms, but don't resign vargas? Would weav/cj/tanaka/williams/richards with a pen of 2 new guys/frieri/dlr/kohn/jepsen be good enough?

I wouldn't mind that, but if we went that way I would still be in favor or moving someone for an arm.

No way Williams should be in the starting rotation.

Just curious what everyone thinks. Have we given up on Maronde for the '14 season?

IMO, he's still in AA.  It would help if we stopped bringing guys up too soon, and develop them through all levels of the minors.  

There are obvious exceptions to jumping around, but IMO, Maronde hasn't put up the numbers to show he's one of them.

Non tender Hanson, Gutierrez, Nelson

Have Green/Lindsay battle for 2B.  Give Luis Jimenez a chance at 3B.  Make Conger catcher.  Add a backup catcher.

Trade Kendrick, Iannetta, Trumbo, and Bourjos for pitching.  Look at David Price, Homer Bailey, Phillies guys, prospects, etc.

Make Trout CF, Calhoun RF, Hamilton LF.  Add a DH or use Shuck.

Bullpen - Just fix it!!

Lets say we sign tanaka, two bullpen arms, but don't resign vargas? Would weav/cj/tanaka/williams/richards with a pen of 2 new guys/frieri/dlr/kohn/jepsen be good enough?

I wouldn't mind that, but if we went that way I would still be in favor or moving someone for an arm.

I would be happy with that, except that I would replace Jepsen with Burnett (being hopeful obviously) as we need a lefty in the pen.    Shoemaker could take Williams' long innings relief role, with Williams moving into a lower rotation spot.     

It's still up to Pujols and Hamilton to produce, if this is to work in 2014.

I would be happy with that, except that I would replace Jepsen with Burnett (being hopeful obviously) as we need a lefty in the pen.    Shoemaker could take Williams' long innings relief role, with Williams moving into a lower rotation spot.     

It's still up to Pujols and Hamilton to produce, if this is to work in 2014.

Williams in the starting rotation is unacceptable.  Period.

Yeah I believe Williams has plenty of value to this team (on and off the field) but he proved last year that he really shouldn't be in the rotation full time. He's good as a long reliever and spot starter, but when he is given 7, 8, 9 starts in a row things start to get ugly.

I also think we may be getting ahead of ourselves with Richards. He looked very impressive as a starter last year, but he has been pretty awful in the past. I believe he is ready for a full time spot in the rotation but if he is anything but a number 5 going into 2014 we are in trouble. He certainly could pitch very well but I haven't seen enough success from him to fully trust him as a starter, and I have seen enough crap from him to have my doubts.

Trading Kendrick, Aybar, and Iannetta would free up about $23.5M and could get some young decent club controlled arms in return.  You're basically killing two birds with one stone.  There's interest around the league for all three, so JD needs to pick up the phone soon and start making some calls.

I'd have no problem with Green, Field, and Conger starting for the Angels (in 2014) if they can get a young starter and a couple young and reliable arms for the bullpen from those trades.  Non-tendering Hanson and Gutierrez will also free up at least $5M.  You can sign Trout and Vargas with that $28.5M if you wanted to.

Even with Richards as #4 and Williams as #5?

Take away July 3-Aug 16, and Williams' numbers are solid for a #5: 128 innings, 14 HRs, 81/34 Ks/BBs, 3.38 ERA, 1.25 WHIP  

Remember that Williams hasn't pitched a full season as a starter since he pitched in Taiwan back in 2010.   Fatigue might have been settling in, although he rallied to pitch solidly after August 16.

Edited by Angel Oracle

AO, you can't just take away a players bad starts. If we take away Blanton's worst stretch during last year, his numbers are probably not that awful. 

I see your point, except that Blanton was pretty bad for most of the season.    Williams' bad stretch was much shorter in length.

I'm not saying he's above a #5 starter, but he is a solid candidate for the #5 spot.

Yeah you can take away any pitcher's bad starts and make them look good.

Jerome Williams was starting pretty regularly from June 1st through the end of August and he was 1-9 with a 5.93 ERA during that period. He made 6 starts in July and was absolutely horrifying. He made 9 starts from July 3rd through August 16th and he was 0-6 with an 8.34 ERA. Now every pitcher goes through bad stretches, but that is beyond bad. That's almost two full months of starts where your ERA is north of 8. Not even Blanton can claim that.