• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Lol Dodgers. Get the popcorn out.

gotbeer

I don't think Mattingly stays -- and he shouldn't --

I don't think Mattingly is that good of a manager -- and it's not just because he's managing the Dogs -- I'm just not impressed with his managerial in game decisions.......

but this is nonsense........the front office is signaling they don't want him back and Mattingly is better off lining up a new gig in Washington or maybe Detroit now.

back

Dodgers might go after Scioscia which wouldn't bother Angels fans now as much as it would have about five years ago.

I like Scioscia but think a change might do the club good.......in a game of managerial musical chairs, I'd sure like to see Bud Black back behind the Halos bench.

I don't think Mattingly stays -- and he shouldn't --

I don't think Mattingly is that good of a manager -- and it's not just because he's managing the Dogs -- I'm just not impressed with his managerial in game decisions.......

but this is nonsense........the front office is signaling they don't want him back and Mattingly is better off lining up a new gig in Washington or maybe Detroit now.

back

Dodgers might go after Scioscia which wouldn't bother Angels fans now as much as it would have about five years ago.

I like Scioscia but think a change might do the club good.......in a game of managerial musical chairs, I'd sure like to see Bud Black back behind the Halos bench.

Black is liked in San Diego, lives in San Diego and is not leaving San Diego.

Edited by Eric Notti

Dodgers were idiots to hold a press conference with Mattingly to talk about the manager's position. The club had to have known Don wasn't happy with a 1 yr guarantee before calling the press. This should have stayed behind the scenes. If I were Don, I'd take a hike. He has a shot of getting a multi year contract with either the Tigers or Nats. If he waited til next year, he would be let go with only the Angels as an option.

The Dodgers are indirectly showing Mattingly the door......I think they want him to quit instead of being fired because when he won the NLDS series against the Braves his contract vested for next year.........so if the Dogs fire him -- 1.) it looks bad -- he did take them to the playoffs and 2.) they have to pay for his contract next year.

If he quits and leaves for a better deal elsewhere -- Dogs are off the hook and can get the manager that they want.......whoever that might be....for some reason I think it's Tim Wallach.

As for Mattingly, as the prior post states, if he can get a better gig in Detroit or Washington NOW while Mattingly's stock is up (the Dogs had a great second half and did make the playoffs), it's an opportunity that might not be there next year........so there are incentives on both sides to end the Mattingly reign as Dodger manager.

As for the Bud Black -- He lives in SD, SD likes him, he's staying there -- that's probably all true -- that's why I want him for the Halos......won't happen but we don't want a manager who no one else wants, do we?

As for the Bud Black -- He lives in SD, SD likes him, he's staying there -- that's probably all true -- that's why I want him for the Halos......won't happen but we don't want a manager who no one else wants, do we?

Correct, that is why the Angels are not interested in Bobby Valentine.

The Dodgers are indirectly showing Mattingly the door......I think they want him to quit instead of being fired because when he won the NLDS series against the Braves his contract vested for next year.........so if the Dogs fire him -- 1.) it looks bad -- he did take them to the playoffs and 2.) they have to pay for his contract next year.

They are definitely provoking him. I don't know the motivation (apart from money). The team took off in the second half. Whether he had much to do with that or not, they are messing with a successful combination. 

Dodgers were idiots to hold a press conference with Mattingly to talk about the manager's position. The club had to have known Don wasn't happy with a 1 yr guarantee before calling the press. This should have stayed behind the scenes. If I were Don, I'd take a hike. He has a shot of getting a multi year contract with either the Tigers or Nats. If he waited til next year, he would be let go with only the Angels as an option.

That was one of the most awkward and ill-conceived press conferences I have ever watched. Mattingly was visibly irritated about the whole situation. It appears that the club is trying to provoke him into voiding his vesting option - which they may well be. The whole thing has been badly handled, and they have the money to buy him out if they want him to leave.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

MEGAPHONE??  Perhaps -- actually, the font of the regular posts is so darned small and I already have more than my share of typos -- even with the enlarged font.........

Liked the earlier reference to Booby Valentine on this thread........GEEZ.  Has there ever been a worse managerial decision with such disastrous results?

I used to like Bobby V. -- came up through the Dodger system was a phenom, ended up with the Angels playing CF and some here can recall when he broke his leg on a play out in CF (at the Big A) and was never the same ballplayer after that.

So he bounces around baseball and winds up as Manager of the Mets, NY chews him up, he gives it right back, winds up managing in Japan, does stinits at ESPN and then Boston hires him as manager and it is a controversial hire as soon as the initial rumors start that Boston is considering hiring him. If  I remember right, the first press conference to announce his hiring was a debacle of controversy and that pretty much defined his short one year tenure in Boston.........the team tanked early, Bobby V. continued to make stupid comments and he was pretty much done by June playing out the string for what must have seemed like an eternity final three months of the season to Boston fans........I think he got fired the day after the season ended.....(not soon enough) and they hired Farrell..........and now it's reported Bobby V. made some statement that he would have been able to manage the BoSox to the W/S this year with the personnel changes they made..........Jim Rome correctly pointed out the key change the front office made was getting rid of Valentine.

I gotta believe he'll never manage again in MLB.........but we'll see......some other ownership might be desperate enough to give him another shot.

Another incredibly bad managing situation years ago involved Seattle hiring Maury Wills........I thought he'd do OK as an MLB manager but his personal issues must have gotten the better of him........Seattle fired him about two months into the season..........he was an absolute disaster.......

The end of Terry Collins time with the Halos was a total debacle but his tenure didn't start out that way.........

Ok -- do I need to shout louder here?