• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Giants re-sign Lincecum

Stradling

Reggetti must have seen something encouraging at the end of the season...he is not stupid.

Why do you say that?  It's not like SF pitchers have been anything special the last two years.   They posted an ERA+ of 96 in 12, then followed that up with an even worse 84 this year.      The Angels the last two years have come in at 95 and 89 -- I doubt people would argue the Angels have had more pitching talent than the Giants the last two years and yet they have pitched very similarly.

If Rags was the pitching coach in Anaheim, people would be calling him stupid.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Why do you say that?  It's not like SF pitchers have been anything special the last two years.   They posted an ERA+ of 96 in 12, then followed that up with an even worse 84 this year.      The Angels the last two years have come in at 95 and 89 -- I doubt people would argue the Angels have had more pitching talent than the Giants the last two years and yet they have pitched very similarly.

All that proves is that you don't need eye-popping overall era, if you have a solid back end on your bullpen.

2 of 3 WS (now 2 of 4) isn't exactly shabby...and my guess is Wilson will return to SF. A couple more solid moves and they will be right back in the playoffs.

If the Angels had the record SF has had the last 4 seasons, I seriously doubt anyone here would be calling anyone stupid.

Edited by Homebrewer

Well there would be the Ragheads that would point out he had crap like Zito and Vogelsong to work with.

On the other hand the others would claim he is only the pitching coach because his name rhymes with spaghetti, that's Italian and that's why he is never going to leave until Scioscia leaves. It's all MAFIA run. STOP IT. JUST STOP IT!

That's about what I thought he'd get -- a bit high by certain standards, perhaps, but he is a two time Cy Young winner.

2 years at $35 million is less than the extension deal he turned down before the start of this season...........

his value plummeted but he still does OK........and I think he's pretty smart for staying in SF where the fans like him and where he's pretty comfortable.

I thought Lincecum might have ended up in pinstripes.............

If I were the Halos, I'd offer Vargas arbitration and make a reasonable salary offer.........if Vargas accepts arbitration, the fact that he was on the DL for a good part of the season works against him and if he seeks too much and the Halos salary offer is reasonable, Halos may prevail.

If he declines arbitration, then I think the rule still is that the Halos get a draft pick......not sure how they would classify Vargas FA status? Probably 2nd tier'

But I think Vargas is worth a flyer.......he pitched well until the blood clot condition put him on the DL.

He needs another 'rehab' year to prove he's healthy before he can seek big FA money and a long term deal.

Wilson almost attacked the Giants brass (was it Sabean?) after a game when the Dodgers played the Giants in September -- complaining about not getting his World Series ring presented to him.

He's not heading back to Giants.........I think he stays with the Dogs..........

I forgot about that..it was Larry Baer.

Might have been over-played by the media, but Wilson can basically write his own ticket as he proved he is back.

He might not be able to close for LA either, so he might look elsewhere.

HMMMMMMM.

If I were the Halos, I'd offer Vargas arbitration and make a reasonable salary offer.........if Vargas accepts arbitration, the fact that he was on the DL for a good part of the season works against him and if he seeks too much and the Halos salary offer is reasonable, Halos may prevail.

If he declines arbitration, then I think the rule still is that the Halos get a draft pick......not sure how they would classify Vargas FA status? Probably 2nd tier'

But I think Vargas is worth a flyer.......he pitched well until the blood clot condition put him on the DL.

He needs another 'rehab' year to prove he's healthy before he can seek big FA money and a long term deal.

I believe the new rules say we have to offer Vargas a qualifying offer of 13 million to get a draft pick.  

Brian Wilson is absurdly overrated here and I seriously cannot understand what the infatuation is. The dude has had two tommy john surgeries in his life, and has pitched a whopping 15.2 innings the last two years. His last full season he put up a 1.47 WHIP while managing the worst K/9 across a full season in his career, as well as an awful 5.07 BB/9, which was also the worst of his career through a full season. He's had one truly great season as a closer and that was all the way back in 2010, and even then he still managed a mediocre (for a closer) 1.18 WHIP. I don't see any reason why Frieri can't be just as good in the closer role. If the Angels really need another "closer" type, they should sign Balfour to a 2 year deal. He's been incredibly consistent as a reliever since 2010 and has had 1 bad season in his last 6.

I don't think they NEED a closer though. I think they need to trade for a good reliever or two and then go hard after Joe Smith, who has been incredibly consistent his entire career.