• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Another School Shooting

terrible that a kid that young felt this was an option he had to take. as others here have said many times before, if you're going to take your life, why destroy the lives of others in the process?

these are the kids i teach, and it's really hard to picture any of them going off like this. 

i imagine the pro-gun lobby will make facebook a really fun read tonight.

Considering his age, it's very likely the kid played video games.  Only a matter of time before someone starts blaming Grand Theft Auto and the entire gaming industry.

I don't blame the video games, my issue is more with the companies that release the games and the companies that sell the games, and how they don't do a better job of keeping kids this age from getting their hands on them. Of course poor parenting comes into play as well but I have a feeling the parents that know what happens in the game and let their kids play these kinds of games anyway aren't going to have kids that do stuff like this. I'm more concerned about the parent that doesn't give a sh*t and lets the kid play any game they want, because they probably are more likely to poorly raise kids who do stuff like this because the kid knows his parents don't care and don't have a clue what they're doing. After hearing stories about how GameStop or Best Buy really don't do a good job of informing the people that buy the games for the kids about the very real adult and inappropriate scenarios that come forth during game-play. And although I don't think they should be 100% responsible, there needs to be some kind of accountability for those who not only create, but distribute this kind of content out to the public. Especially when the content is observed by so many young eyes.

That being said, I don't get where along the line people that do this stuff think this is somehow an acceptable solution to deal with whatever issue they're having.

But they're getting these ideas and mentalities from somewhere. And the news doesn't help by giving these killers face-time and the name recognition on TV and in articles. Every time this happens America looks more like a country that when people go batsh*t insane they just start going on shooting sprees to kill innocent people, no matter how young. It's all just so senseless.

The tragedy is three lives are lost and the innocence of hundreds of other kids have been shaken.  I can't imagine how all of the parents feel, including the parents of the suspect.  

This is just one of those no winners at all this world sucks stories.

I hope the parents of the suspect feel terrible. They didn't properly store their firearm and two people are dead because of it.

I hope the parents of the suspect feel terrible. They didn't properly store their firearm and two people are dead because of it.

You know for a fact he got the gun from home?  I'm thinking right now the feel terrible about plenty of things, mostly about their own son being dead.  I'm not going to be an a-hole and pile on.

Nicole Hockley said in a statement. "It's moments like this that demand that we unite as parents to find common sense solutions that keep our children -- all children -- safe, and prevent these tragedies from happening again and again."

A simple gun lock would have prevented him from easy access. The parents should feel bad for not taking the solution that usually comes in the box the gun does.

Edited by Eric Notti

I haven't followed this story other than peripherally.  I don't know the kids motive, don't know if he played violent video games, don't know that he was suicidal.  A young kid isn't some salty criminal that has contacts on the street to get a gun.  This, to me, is about careless gun ownership.  I'm all for people having the right to own a weapon, but with that right comes a huge responsibility to keep the weapon safely stored.  Man, this type of thing happens way to often, and yet weapons are STILL accessible.

Horrible that this keeps happening.

It's a little early to be speculating, since it sounds like the suspect was a decent, level-headed kid, who just snapped.  I'm surprised to hear he would help other kids, then turn around and do something like this.  We'll see if there were signs that should have led the parents and school staff to prevent him from doing this.

Again though, it boils-down to access to firearms.  The article stated that he took a parents gun.  It wasn't properly locked-away.  I'm sure his parents are truly suffering right now at the loss of their son and the carnage that he brought to school, but maybe they should be held accountable and have charges filed on them.  I don't know.  I bet they are willingly getting rid of the rest of any guns they own, if search warrants aren't already being served.

To other parents here, I would say make sure your kids schools have a plan in place (in conjunction with Law Enforcement) for the next incident.  And of course, talk to them about these incidents (depending on age).  They need to be vigilant for their own safety as well.

One report I heard on the news says the kid was constantly bullied.

Most likely.

I laughed at the video game notion, even politicians jumped off that train a while back just like with rap music in the 80s/90s.

The real problem is bullying and it's even worse for kids nowadays with social media and broader access to clown or pick on people.

The gun issue is interesting. I was always of the side that preferred to not have the gun locked because it would be useless if someone did break in my house or a situation where I have an ex-business partner that was in custody with a million dollar bail for some heinous acts trying to do something stupid.

I'd have to really rethink that stance with kids involved. I had access to a gun as a kid and would show my friends, but never thought of the psycho stuff these kids are doing.

I think all groups should be willing to look at themselves in the mirror when these things happen.  You are a parent of kids who bully?  You better look in the mirror.  You think all guns should be accessible all the time?  You better look in the mirror.  You think things like video games/music/film/tv don't have some influence on esepcially children?  You better look in the mirror. 

At this point nobody knows what happened to this kid or what occured to have this kid make this choice, it's tragic and maddening at the same time. 

Although this incident is highly tragic, it's not the first and nor will it be the last. People can blame video games, movies and rap but the truth of the matter is that violence is part of human nature and this crap was going on way before these excuses even existed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States#1760s

I think all groups should be willing to look at themselves in the mirror when these things happen.  You are a parent of kids who bully?  You better look in the mirror.  You think all guns should be accessible all the time?  You better look in the mirror.  You think things like video games/music/film/tv don't have some influence on esepcially children?  You better look in the mirror. 

At this point nobody knows what happened to this kid or what occured to have this kid make this choice, it's tragic and maddening at the same time. 

Society as a whole is really to blame.