• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Blue Jays to Target Conger or Iannetta

I'd be pretty happy if we could acquire Noah Syndergaard and another pitcher whether it was Casey Janssen, as a closer, or one of their other pitching prospects such as Aaron Sanchez (unlikely), Sean Nolin, or perhaps Marcus Stroman for Howie Kendrick and Chris Iannetta. A 2 for 2 swap as long as we are getting elite-type prospects/established MLB closer, etc.

Lol Syndergaard was traded to the Mets in the R.A. Dickey deal last year.

Lol Syndergaard was traded to the Mets in the R.A. Dickey deal last year.

So it would be really extraordinary if it happened!

You like correcting me don't you? :P

This is what happens when I rapidly check the message board from work, sigh. I sometimes grab the FanGraphs Top 15 Prospect Lists and forget that players have been traded in the interim since those lists were created.

Oops.

For Iannetta and Kendrick, the Angels should target Sergio Santos, Ricky Romero, Macier Izturis, and Cash. The Angels may have to throw in a legit hitting prospect here as well.

Romero needs a change of scenery, and yes the Angels would be taking a chance that a guy who used to be the top Blue Jays starter would rebound. He's from Cal State Fullerton. Santos is a closer, but they have another one, and he was untouchable the last two months. He's the guy they are really going after here. And Izturis is a guy who can back up the infield positions, whom we all know what to expect out of.

I know that doesn't seem like a great haul, three guys coming off injuries, etc. Save some money, get a valuable bullpen piece if not a closer, a reliable back-up, and a project starter who was once an ace. 

I'd like more, but what's realistic and what they're gonna get is probably a big difference.

For Iannetta and Kendrick, the Angels should target Sergio Santos, Ricky Romero, Macier Izturis, and Cash. The Angels may have to throw in a legit hitting prospect here as well.

Romero needs a change of scenery, and yes the Angels would be taking a chance that a guy who used to be the top Blue Jays starter would rebound. He's from Cal State Fullerton. Santos is a closer, but they have another one, and he was untouchable the last two months. He's the guy they are really going after here. And Izturis is a guy who can back up the infield positions, whom we all know what to expect out of.

I know that doesn't seem like a great haul, three guys coming off injuries, etc. Save some money, get a valuable bullpen piece if not a closer, a reliable back-up, and a project starter who was once an ace. 

I'd like more, but what's realistic and what they're gonna get is probably a big difference.

If that's the best they can do(and I doubt that is), there is no sense in making a trade.

Santos is an up and down 30 year old reliever who's also struggled with injuries and is about to get kind of pricey if the team picks up his options, or would be a 1 year rental if not.

Romero followed up a high 5s ERA major league campaign last year with a mid 5s ERA minor league campaign this year and a handful of terrible major league innings. Both with absolutely brutal peripherals as well. He's also guaranteed 15 million dollars. He's looking more like Dontrelle Willis than a "project" and certainly not a guy you give up actual value to obtain.

And Izturis has followed up his weak final season in an Angels' uniform with an absolutely brutal 1st year in Toronto. He's also under contract for 2 more years, although not particularly expensive ones, as an early to mid 30s utility infielder.

Even if you can get the Blue Jays to give you a ton of cash along with them, that's not a group of players I would even consider trading Howie and Iannetta for.

Thoughtful post but really, this would be ridiculous.  This would just be another big roll of the dice.  We had two of those last season and we rolled sixes all season long.  We already have 3 Macier Izturis on the 40 man roster as I write this.  This would be a completely pointless trade for us while giving up one of the very few true trade chips we have to acquire legitimate pitching.  If we trade Howie, we better be getting a healthy live arm.

Well unfortunately the Angels don't have a whole lot of other options. You either go after a good pitcher who is "declining" for 1 or 2 years, or take a gamble on a young pitcher with potential to be good. Either way, it could work out well or be a disaster.

I'm sure some people said signing Colon was a "stupid move" but that worked out pretty well for Oakland. At least with a guy like Buerhle you have a guy with a consistent track record who has succeeded despite pitching in hitters parks his entire career.

This is all moot anyway since it is unlikely he will be traded. But if Toronto were willing to offer him and one of their top pitching prospects in a deal with the Angels, I'd say the Angels would have to listen.

I think it's a bad idea to go into next season with the same duo. Teams stole at will against us last year.

Pretty much.

Guess the Angels were too busy overpaying sluggers to get a legitimate catcher like Russell Martin on our team. Really coulda used him the past couple years...

Edited by CaliAngel

A good amount of Jays fan think it'll take Stroman to acquire Iannetta. It's funny how sometimes we undervalue our own players and fans of other teams overvalue them. Anyway, I'd do that trade in a heartbeat

Agreed. Iannetta does have value based on his reasonable contract although I'm not sure it is enough for a young starter but you never know what kind of sales job Dipoto pulls (or alternatively Anthro pulls).

Looking at the Blue Jays AAA roster, some good options would be Ryan Tatusko (28 years old, 1.58 WHIP, 77 BB's in 120 innings), Ryan Perry (7.93 ERA, 23/27 BB/K ratio), and Cole Kimball (28 years old, 8.06 ERA, 1.75 WHIP). Any of them would be a nice complement to Robert Carson and JC Gutierrez in the back end of our bullpen.

I'll take Janssen, thank you very much.

Since 2011:  WHIP = around 1.00, ERA = under 2.50, and only 12 HRs in 171 innings pitching half of the time in a launching pad (Rogers Centre).

He's only 32 until next September, and would be coming back home.   He is all about consistency.

Santos is too up and down, and I hope we aren't snookered by a late season push from him.

Janssen, Frieri, DDLR, Burnett, Morin, Kohn, and Williams = pretty nice pen potentially.

They owe us BIGTIME for pawning off Mr. Pop-Up on us!

Edited by Angel Oracle

MLBTradeRumors wrote that the two positions the Blue Jays are looking to improve this year is C and 2B.  They suggested the Angels could trade Conger/Iannetta and Howie to the Blue Jays.

The Angels could get a nice haul for that.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/10/blue-jays-interested-in-iannetta-conger.html

They think that Aaron Sanchez is too steep a price for Iannetta (or Conger), but like the idea of a Kendrick-and-catcher trade. Can we get Sanchez and Janssen (or Delabar) for both?

Probably more likely to do a Sanchez and Delabar package (which would help get us a possible impact SP in a couple years and a 7th inning guy now).

No to Delabar, he's had 1 good year and started falling off.

HK + Ianetta for Janssen and Sanchez

Then sign Kurt Suzuki to form the greatest Asian sounding but not actually from Asia catching duo ever

And then trade for cliff lee. Bring in the asian market dollars and leave the asian market pissed that they didn't realize what they were buying in to.

I wouldn't trade HK unless it's for a great package. For me 1 year of a closer and a not so sure thing prospect doesn't cut it. 

We have the Braves, Orioles, Jays, and Reds (what's the deal with Phillips? they don't have anyone to replace him) to negotiate with. Otherwise I'd keep him. I want to see one of PB or Trumbo traded for pitching as well as whatever pitching we can get for Ianetta/ Conger.

Prying Alex Wood from the Braves would be my choice.

Going back to an Iannetta for Buehrle trade.  

Stat Wise for Buehrle.

2013 1.35 WHIP, 4.15 ERA

Career 1.28 WHIP, 3.84 ERA

So it's pretty close between Buehrle and Vargas.

2013 1.39 WHIP, 4.02 ERA

Career 1.32 WHIP, 4.30 ERA

Also, Buehrle is a workhorse averaging 200 IP every season minus his first callup.  He's 34 vs Vargas 30.  

The big deciding factor is Buehrle is owed 2/$37 million.  Where who knows what Vargas will get in this seasons pitching void free agent market.

Also to add into the equation, Iannetta is owed 2/$10.5 million, and Vargas was paid $8.5 million last season.  

If you could get the Blue Jays to pay $20 million of the $37 million.  I think it's a great deal for the Angels.  At $15 million, it's more of a neutral change.  And anything less than $15 million, and the Blue Jays are dumping salary on us.