• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Giants to Offer Lincecum Arbitration

Even if he didn't get offered, I'd still stay away from him.   Dude was a 4 year freak who just doesn't have it anymore, as the past 2 seasons show.   

He's never solved the control issues, and that's getting even worse now.

Lincecum = right-handed Dontrelle Willis.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I'm talking about recent pitching in comparing the two.

Both have unorthodox deliveries and control issues to go with mediocre results in their two most recent MLB seasons. 

While Lincecum is still in MLB, his fall has been pretty much as drastic and at a younger age, as Willis saw happen to him.

To have an ERA of around 4.70 and WHIP of close to 1.40 over the past 2 years while pitching in the N.L. AND in an extreme pitching friendly park, that is a drastic fall.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Lincecum pitched a lot better than most people think in 2013. ERA was high but his FIP was respectable and he lowered his walks back to his norm. I'd take a flier on him on an incentive based contract.

This is 100% true.  This past season was a story of two half's for him.  The first half of the season he did poorly, but he really got it together the second half.

If the Angels can't get Tanaka, Lincecum might be a decent get for your #3.

His pre and post 2013 ASB numbers were similar though.   ERA was a little higher post-ASB, and WHIP was similar, around 1.30 for both. 

He was up and down all season.  

Decent numbers in April, June, and August; mediocre numbers in May, July, and September

Is that what we truly want in a #3 starter?

Edited by Angel Oracle

Outside of Tanaka, who else is out there for a #3 starter.

The Angels don't have what it takes to get Price.  Garza will be more expensive.  Nobody wants Santana back.  I have serious doubts that the Angels have enough to trade for a major league ready #3 starter.

His pre and post 2013 ASB numbers were similar though. ERA was a little higher post-ASB, and WHIP was similar, around 1.30 for both.

He was up and down all season.

Decent numbers in April, June, and August; mediocre numbers in May, July, and September

Is that what we truly want in a #3 starter?

We're talking about a #3 starter not an ace. 3 months of good and 3 months of just ok is better than we had this year.

Lincecum and his agent definitely overplayed their hand. He turned down some damn good extensions.

I'm sure they had no idea he'd decline that quickly though.

I think he'll be just fine. The lack of pitching in the FA class this year should ensure at least a 5 year contract with a good chunk of money.

I don't understand the love for declining pitchers. First Johnson and now Lincecum. I hope the Angels learned their lesson with Hanson and Blanton and don't make the same mistake this offseason.

No more gambling!

1. We don't have nearly enough trade chips to trade for a true 1/2 pitcher.

2. This market offers nothing better. So what are we supposed to do? Roll out the same 5 from 2013?

Edited by Cory

We're talking about a #3 starter not an ace. 3 months of good and 3 months of just ok is better than we had this year.

On the surface, maybe.   But remember that an NL ERA and WHIP will usually be better than an AL ERA and WHIP.

We could easily be bringing in someone who ends up with a high 4.00s ERA and 1.40 WHIP, which is anything but a #3 pitcher.

I'd sooner trust Richards as the #3 starter, who had a sub 4.00 ERA over August/September.

Edited by Angel Oracle