• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tanaka is gonna cost a fortune

Glen

Tanaka and or Cano won't be coming here. We already have 4 of the highest paid players in baseball for the next few years and we still have to figure out how to pay for Mike Trout. Meanwhile Arte is preparing to dish out about $150M of his own money to rehab the stadium. I think Arte is done with his spending madness on free agent players. He's been burned enough.

It'd be nice to afford Tanaka and Tim Hudson. Trade Kendrick or Trumbo for a top young arm to keep in SLC for depth.

Weaver

Wilson

Tanaka

Hudson

Richards

Hudson is trending downwards pretty significantly for the past 4 years. In the NL to boot. His health is deteriorating and I would be shocked if he makes 25+ starts in 2014. He'd be interesting as a number 5 option but not a number 4. Just my opinion.

In most years, I would agree with you.  But looking at the big picture this year.  There just isn't any pitcher available that will help us.  Every team knows this.  Because every team will be looking for Starting Pitching.  

The best pitcher available in free agency is Garza.  A 3.82 ERA, 1.24 WHIP guy with a career of 3.84, 1.28.  And the Rangers gave up one of their best prospects to rent him for half a season.  Everyone should just think about that just a bit.  The Rangers traded one of their best prospects to rent him for half a season, and he's maybe a #3 type pitcher.  

So why does everyone think a young #1 or #2 starting pitcher would command so little?  Teams who have those types of players available will ask for the moon, because they are just way too valuable for any team, and they can use them just as much.  Heck teams will ask the moon for #3/#4 pitchers, like Trumbo and Bourjos both.  The only pitchers that may be available are the injury history types.  And the Angels do so, so well in those types of trades.  With the Angels luck, they will trade Trumbo for a Halladay type, if not for Halladay.  And not the Toronto Halladay.  

That's the pickle the Angels are in right now.  

They have to roll the Dice, and hopefully not come up with DiceK.  They have to make a big push with the Japanese pitchers, because there just isn't anyone else available.  

And BTW, even if we get Tanaka, it will not expand the brand in Japan.  Japanese are very fickle.  They will follow Tanaka, but will have no clue who Trout is.  There are two, maybe three teams in the Japanese eyes, the Dodgers, Yankees, and maybe the Mariners just because it was owned by a Japanese.  Other than that, they just follow players.  It's like if a Japanese comes to the US, they will go to Gucci, and Prada, and buy whatever those stores have, regardless of if they need it.  But they will never go to Target or Walmart unless they have what they absolutely need.  

As a fan living in Japan for almost 10 years now, I have to say it's partly inaccurate. Baseball fans in Japan basically know most of the MLB teams here. They know players like ARod, Jeter, Pujols, Hamilton but some have been slow to catch up on the new stars like Trout.

Also, they only broadcast games that have Japanese players.

The Angels are probably one of the most hated teams in Japan. The Angels basically kicked the Mariners butts for long, and have been a thorn in the Yankees side as well. Some Matsui fans feel like the Angels didn't treat him as fair as they wished too.

As a fan living in Japan for almost 10 years now, I have to say it's partly inaccurate. Baseball fans in Japan basically know most of the MLB teams here. They know players like ARod, Jeter, Pujols, Hamilton but some have been slow to catch up on the new stars like Trout.

Also, they only broadcast games that have Japanese players.

The Angels are probably one of the most hated teams in Japan. The Angels basically kicked the Mariners butts for long, and have been a thorn in the Yankees side as well. Some Matsui fans feel like the Angels didn't treat him as fair as they wished too.

The Angels were gaining popularity when Matsui was here. That quickly diminished when Matsui was sent packing because .274 / 21hrs / 81rbi's / .820ops wasn't up to Vladdy standards. I'm willing to bet that neither Hamilton or Pujols ever give us what Vlad gave us in 2006. .329 / 33hrs / 116rbis / .934ops

The Angels were gaining popularity when Matsui was here. That quickly diminished when Matsui was sent packing because .274 / 21hrs / 81rbi's / .820ops wasn't up to Vladdy standards. I'm willing to bet that neither Hamilton or Pujols ever give us what Vlad gave us in 2006. .329 / 33hrs / 116rbis / .934ops

Never mind Vlad.  Let's hope that Hamilton and Pujols can give us what Matsui gave us.  /sigh

Remember vlads last year here?....when people were crying about how 'bad' he was?

Not saying he was still 'vlad', but I still loved him

On top of that he was injured. I still don't understand dropping Vlad for Matsui, it goes down as a big blunder by the front office, imho. Couldn't ask for a more humble player in your dugout.

On top of that he was injured. I still don't understand dropping Vlad for Matsui, it goes down as a big blunder by the front office, imho. Couldn't ask for a more humble player in your dugout.

As I remember Vlad wanted two years.  It was simply a matter of how much he might degrade over those two years, and how healthy he could stay.  Then there is the "better to trade a declining player one year too soon, than one year too late" mantra.

I could see the dogs making a move for price. It all depends on if they win it this year though.

If they do, I don't see it happening. Kasten has already said the crazy spwnding was over (for the most part), and their goal is to be like atlanta and build from within. Keep in mind they still have to lockup kershaw...after they do, their payroll is going to close in on 300 mill next year.

That's insane, especially w the luxery tax. People think it doesn't matter because the owners are rich. Well, they bought the team to become more rich, not because they are fans. Theyre goal os to sell a product and turn a profit.

So whereas if they have the trade pieces to get price, I could see it (if the cards knock them off), but I don't think its likely being that they need to lock up kershaw and decide on whether or not to stay with hanley.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The Dodgers' pursuit of pitcher Masahiro Tanaka appears to be "the most obvious move since Brad Pitt sidled up to Angelina Jolie," writes Steve Dilbeck of the Los Angeles Times. Dilbeck cites the Dodgers' signings of Hyun-Jin RyuYasiel Puig andAlexander Guerrero as evidence that the team will use its considerable financial heft to pursue the biggest-name international free agents. "We've scouted him a lot, we're very much aware of him," says GM Ned Colletti. "We saw him as recently as two days ago."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgersnow/la-sp-dn-dodgers-masahiro-tanaka-20131029,0,7486061.story#axzz2jATBnJGf

Screw the Dodgers.