• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tanaka is gonna cost a fortune

Glen

The Dodgers will go after Tanaka and Price. They throw money to the wind and seem to give the finger to the luxury tax.

I would hate to see a Darvish, Tanaka combo in Arlington, but I wouldn't be surprised. They were so close this year, they may see this as the final push.

The Yankees staff is old. Tanaka would help change that.

No mention of the Angels. Great. It looks like Jerry will be doing some more creative thinking and trading to get our pitching staff up to par.

The posting fee isn't counted as salary for luxury tax reasons. Is Arte's reluctance to spend money due to respecting Selig's wishes that teams don't go above the luxury tax threshold? Is it due to a desire not to pay other owners money through luxury tax penalties? Is it do to actual budget restrictions that have little to do with the luxury tax penalties.

I suspect it is a mixture of all 3. However, since our budget is capped at the luxury tax threahold apparently I strongly suspect the first two points are more important than the third.

If so perhaps the posting fee can be rationalized as an "Investment" and not an expenditure.

I suspect the final posting fee ends up breaking all records due to it not counting towards the luxury tax.

Good thing it's a sealed bid.  So technically no one will know what the other is bidding.  

But Tanaka is going to be expensive.  Maybe so expensive that people will forget about Maeda and get him on the cheap?  

http://www.oneworldsports.com/stories/japanese-pitchers-most-likely-join-mlb

2 and 4 are intriguing and could be had without blowing up the bank.  Although blowing up the bank might be a good start.

Yep, the guy is easily going to cost $100 mil between posting and contract. 

There are a lot of teams with money to spend right now, and unfortunately it doesn't seem like the Angels are one of those teams.  The Yankees, in particular, have a ton of cash coming off the books this year, and can throw the bank at Tanaka and Cano and still have a lot of money left over.

here's the thing. 

25yo, potential #2 starters are rare to say the least.  You either have to develop them or pay a high price in trade. 

when you have almost no potential impact starting pitchers in your minor league system AND your current top two are on the wrong side of 30 AND you are essentially replacing 2 or 3 starters with FAs from year to year AND you have very little depth at the AAA level, you should be putting yourself in a position to strike on an impact starter that is young and cost controlled.

Although Tanaka's availability is somewhat new to the general fan, this guy should have been on the radar at least last year if not two years ago to the powers that be in the halos org.  As really the only young impact arm that they would have access to that wouldn't cost them players in return, it would be criminal if they missed on him because they've already spent their money. 

If they scout the guy and determine he's not worth the risk, fine.  But if this guy turns out to be legit, they have missed a golden opportunity.  To me, knowing the position this team is in relative to their starting pitching, this could be right up there with one of the biggest mistakes in the last few years, and that is saying something. 

I hope, in the end, it's a question of who threw more brinks trucks out between the Angels and Yanks, than the Angels making another token effort.  

It's one thing if the Angels bid $60 million and the Yanks bid $65 million.  But if it's like Yu and the Rangers bidding $61 million and the Angels not bidding, I'd be a bit pissed.

I'll gladly take the Iwakuma clone (Maeda).

I agree with GB that we should at least put a solid bid out for Tanaka. At least give it their best effort, and if it doesn't work, gladly go after Maeda.

Not really. He has below average stuff and figures to be a reliever or #5. I'd stay away Maeda, especially because of the high injury concerns

http://irfast.blogspot.com/2013/03/kenta-maeda-pitch-fx-scouting-report.html?m=1

Edited by SoWhat

I hope, in the end, it's a question of who threw more brinks trucks out between the Angels and Yanks, than the Angels making another token effort.  

It's one thing if the Angels bid $60 million and the Yanks bid $65 million.  But if it's like Yu and the Rangers bidding $61 million and the Angels not bidding, I'd be a bit pissed.

The problem is you'll never know unless the Angels win the bid.