• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

David Price 4 Trumbo+Bourjos?

TB will also be thinking how much Trumbo and Bourjos will cost in arb 2 years from now.

Even as a perennial contender, they are still run much like a small market team (Longoria being the ONLY star player to stay with them beyond 6 seasons) as they haven't even reached 2 million in attendance since their first season in 1998.

Of course, TB could always trade them 2 years from now with a year to go to FA, and further replenish their org that way.

Realistically though, who would it take in addition to Trumbo and Bourjos to acquire Price? 

I'm guessing it would additionally take maybe Richards, Borenstein, and Morin?

We don't have the depth to make up for that, it would seem.

Plus, who DH's in 2014 if both are traded, leaving just Trout, Calhoun, and Hamilton for the 3 OF spots and DH?

Would Hamilton move to DH, and then the OF becomes Shuck, Trout, and Calhoun until Borenstein is ready?  

Edited by Angel Oracle

Price isn't the type of guy we should be going after.  We need cheap, club-controlled pitching. 

Agreed.

Give up the young cheap talent it would take land Price and you'll have to extend him, and I just can't see Arte adding that kind of money to this already large payroll before locking up Trout.

Not only are those players not enough for a perrenial Cy Young candidate, I don't think outfield and first base are what the Rays need.  Loney had a nice season for them. Zobrist is a free agent but he is a fan favorite.  Escobar is a free agent but I think the Rays still think his upside is worthwhile.  What the Rays need is catching.  I could see interest in Ianetta but then what?  Ianetta, Kendrick (if they don't extend Zobrist), Trumbo (if they don't extend Loney), and Aybar (if they don't extend Escobar).  I think loosing our middle infield for a pitcher would cause Dipoto to balk at such a trade.

If the Rays wanted one of our catchers, I doubt it would be Iannetta. They'd want Conger.

Although I like Price, the Angels need to be building young cost controlled position players and pitchers not trading them away for MLB ready players who are essentially short term rentals. It is the only way to shed salary in future years, imo.

Dodgers are expected to go hard after Price ... Angels have no shot to get Price.

Kershaw Greinke Price .... oh my

The Phillies from a few years ago had a peak Halladay, Lee, Hamels, Oswalt...that was a better rotation than your Dodgers' potential rotation. Didn't win the Phillies a championship. Besides, there are some warning signs when it comes to Price. Doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it also doesn't necessarily not mean anything. Also, Greinke was pitching over his head this year and will probably regress. 

Don't count your chickens till they hatch, K?

Edited by Angels

I would make that trade if we could extend Price.  It would be to much to give up just as a rental.  AND it may not be enough for Price.  Trumbo is going to get expensive and I would think TB would want players who are pre arbitration.

LOL!

The Phillies from a few years ago had a peak Halladay, Lee, Hamels, Oswalt...that was a better rotation than your Dodgers' potential rotation. Didn't win the Phillies a championship. Besides, there are some warning signs when it comes to Price. Doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it also doesn't necessarily not mean anything. Also, Greinke was pitching over his head this year and will probably regress. 

Don't count your chickens till they hatch, K?

Feel free to get your head out of my A*S ... you're correct about the Phillies. What looks good on paper doesn't always translate into a win.

Price isn't the type of guy we should be going after.  We need cheap, club-controlled pitching. 

Teams don't give up cheap, club-controlled pitching that also happens to be good, unless they're getting back a Miguel Cabrera or a Mark Teixeira.  We don't have any of those because we're not trading Mike Trout.  If a team like the Angels wants good young pitching, then they have to draft and develop it, and not trade any of it away for rentals.  There isn't any realistic way that I can see for the Angels to improve the pitching without taking on significant salary.