• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Core players

Torridd

Best case scenario is signing Tanaka. If we also sign Vargas, then we only have to worry about relief. If we don't sign Tanaka, then we probably don't have a choice than give up Trumbo/Kendrick. And does anyone know when the bidding would start?

It would have to be after their season finishes.  According to here, November 1-March 1 is the posting period.  But of the big names, Ichiro Nov 9, Daisuke Nov 2, Yu Dec 8.  Most seem to be in the November/December range.  Although a few have been posted in the Jan/Feb area, more than likely due to unsignability in Japan.

That's good because that gives the club leeway if we don't sign him rather than leaving us in the lurch.

Also what may go in the favor of an earlier post is that the rules of posting may change.  I don't think they will change right away, in that it has to be negotiated, and I'm sure the Japanese Teams will fight for one last lucrative chance to score big money.  Which is the only reason why Tanaka is going to be posted so early in his career.  So there will be a grace period before the new rules take effect.  Might only be a month, but I'm sure there will be a grace period.  

So I think/hope we will know if we got either of the top 2 pitchers that might be available in early November.  /crossesfingers

Now that we know the core management is returning, do you think it will be the same with the core players specifically Trumbo and Kendrick? I really think Bourjos is gone.

Can Dipoto improve the pitching without trading any of them? Should the core players, like management, get one more chance to go for the gold? 

I originally summarized my thoughts here: http://angelswinblog.blogspot.com/2013/09/strategic-reload.html

However, I think Trumbo and Kendrick are the two most likely targets to be traded rather than Bourjos or Aybar and I think it is absolutely necessary to acquire the pitching depth a team needs to make it through an entire season.

Trumbo doesn't really have a position to play regularly with Hamilton in RF and Pujols at 1B. On top of that Calhoun can support both of those positions making Mark a potentially tradeable piece. He has value in a market that is looking for corner OF and 1B power bats. I like Mark and you can't easily replace his power but he would, in my opinion, bring in a young, cost-controlled top of the rotation pitcher.

Kendrick has a bit more value than Trumbo. With Howie we have players like Green, Lindsey, Field, et. al. who can potentially replace his position. Kendrick could net us a young top of the line starter and a relief pitcher (or another piece like a 3B). Again Howie does well on offense and is above average on defense but the "downgrade" to one of the other options is more than made up by the upgrade to our pitching staff, making Howie expendable if we have to move him.

Aybar to me is less likely to be traded simply because we don't have good options (Field and Romine) to take his place. Erick would bring back a Kendrick-like return in trade but it seems less likely at this moment in time.

As far as Bourjos is concerned I think we would be selling low on him and Dipoto has stated that he believes Peter will be in an Angels uniform at least through his club-controlled years. People call him injury-prone but only his hamstring issue was "self-inflicted", while the other injury was caused by an errant pitch. I think he stays unless the Angels get a really good offer for him.

I think Iannetta might go too if Dipoto can find a taker for him. His defense is lacking and his only main offensive ability is his OBP and the occasional long ball.

In the end I think the Angels will pursue Tanaka and try to resign Vargas. If they do both I still think they will deal Trumbo and/or Kendrick, first, and Aybar and/or Bourjos, second, for additional pitching depth. Most teams want to be at least 8-9 quality pitchers deep in the rotation, i.e. no scrubs, only real talented pitchers.

i don't know. How is his defense? If he's capable, I'd much rather get rid of Bourjos. Calhoun looks like he can hit 20 homers at least and hit for average.

This is why I think Trumbo is even more likely to be traded as Calhoun can DH and then spell Hamilton or Pujols to "rest" (rest = DH'ing them) them. I could easily see Trumbo traded and Calhoun picking up 4-5 games a week. You could also rotate Conger's bat through DH as well when he isn't catching.

Sign Tanaka, offer Vargas arb, trade Trumbo or Kendrick for a future starter, sign the Beard and find one more decent solid veteran back end of pen reliever.

Vargas, if accepting arb, fills a spot for a year while the future starter is getting ready in the minors and also supplying some depth for 2014.

I long for the day where we stop relying on the Buckners, Enrights, etc for AAA depth.

This is why I think Trumbo is even more likely to be traded as Calhoun can DH and then spell Hamilton or Pujols to "rest" (rest = DH'ing them) them. I could easily see Trumbo traded and Calhoun picking up 4-5 games a week. You could also rotate Conger's bat through DH as well when he isn't catching.

Id like to see this option best i think. Love Trumbo but cant stand the stress of the slumps.

I think Bourjos is coming back.  I have a feeling they are going to stress D this offseason, and Bourjos brings that.  Also, it would not surprise me if the Angels extend Bourjos for say a 5 or 6 year deal on the cheap.  Something like a 5/$28 or a 6/$34.  With the teams "salary constraints", right now is the best time to extend Bourjos on the downslope.  The same might be said with Trumbo.  Extend him on the cheap while he still relatively cheap.  Because if the new hitting coach figures him out, he can get very expensive real quick.  

Now Aybar and Kendrick.  I can see one of them traded.  As Victor pointed out, our double play was 6th lowest in the MLB.  And while not accurate, Kendrick 0.1 DWar and Aybar a 0.2 DWar can't be good.  Especially in Aybar's case of a sub .700 hitter.  At least Kendrick can hit.  

You improve the up the middle D, and the pitchers will get better.  Although some of our pitchers are too far gone.  

Also, people won't like it.  But I can see Callhoun back in the minors if he still has options left.  If the Angels play it right, you send Callhoun down, 4 years of Hamilton left.  3 years, so right in Callhoun's arbitration years, Hamilton will be off the team.  

The way MS gushed about Calhoun, I can't see him in the minors.  

I define the core players as those who play regularly. And no one has answered my question if we need to trade core players in order to get the pitching we need.

Yes

As of starters I would include Kendrick, Bourjos, and Trumbo in that mix.  And I think we need to trade one or maybe two to get a couple of pitchers.

Oracle is right, it would be great to get Tanaka

I still don't believe Trumbo goes anywhere until they are sure Pujols can play 1st everyday. I stick with my prediction that both Bourjos and Aybar get traded because that's who teams will ask for.

Kole Calhoun played a pretty solid 1st base at AAA in 2011.

In 31 games played he had 302 PO's, 14 assists, 24 DP's and had 0 errors. He's the reason why Trumbo will be traded.

Kole Calhoun played a pretty solid 1st base at AAA in 2011.

In 31 games played he had 302 PO's, 14 assists, 24 DP's and had 0 errors. He's the reason why Trumbo will be traded.

Guys that are 5'10" with high heels aren't ideal candidates for firstbase.  Also, in the MLB, in 4 gs, he had 2 errors this season.  He's more of an emergency firstbaseman than a real platoon partner.

Guys that are 5'10" with high heels aren't ideal candidates for firstbase. Also, in the MLB, in 4 gs, he had 2 errors this season. He's more of an emergency firstbaseman than a real platoon partner.

Good point but Albert Pujols played 1st base in 157 games in 2010 and in 146 games in 2011 so I expect nothing less than that from him in 2014. He is adjusted and healthy by now. I hope his legal issues with Jack Clark don't prevent him from from being able to play 1st base.

Edited by Hamiltown

I personally think Kendrick and Trumbo are more likely to be traded than Bourjos.  PB being on the injured list will make his trade value difficult to get a starting pitcher.  Trumbo will get us a starting pitcher.  Kendrick will get us a starting pitcher + something else.  PB could be packaged withe someone with Trumbo to get us a starting pitcher +

Yeah, I think it's more likely that both Trumbo and Kendrick are gone. Bourjos would have to pass a physical if any trade involving him were consummated.