• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Core players

Torridd

Now that we know the core management is returning, do you think it will be the same with the core players specifically Trumbo and Kendrick? I really think Bourjos is gone.

Can Dipoto improve the pitching without trading any of them? Should the core players, like management, get one more chance to go for the gold? 

Now that we know the core management is returning, do you think it will be the same with the core players specifically Trumbo and Kendrick? I really think Bourjos is gone.

Can Dipoto improve the pitching without trading any of them? Should the core players, like management, get one more chance to go for the gold? 

I personally think Kendrick and Trumbo are more likely to be traded than Bourjos.  PB being on the injured list will make his trade value difficult to get a starting pitcher.  Trumbo will get us a starting pitcher.  Kendrick will get us a starting pitcher + something else.  PB could be packaged withe someone with Trumbo to get us a starting pitcher +

I think at least 1, possibly 2, of Trumbo/Kendrick/Bourjos will be traded this offseason.  It's by far their best chance at adding good SP.

+1....would be surprised if this doesn't happen....I agree with storm that Bourjos is the least likely to be traded simply because of the injuries....

I think Bourjos is coming back.  I have a feeling they are going to stress D this offseason, and Bourjos brings that.  Also, it would not surprise me if the Angels extend Bourjos for say a 5 or 6 year deal on the cheap.  Something like a 5/$28 or a 6/$34.  With the teams "salary constraints", right now is the best time to extend Bourjos on the downslope.  The same might be said with Trumbo.  Extend him on the cheap while he still relatively cheap.  Because if the new hitting coach figures him out, he can get very expensive real quick.  

Now Aybar and Kendrick.  I can see one of them traded.  As Victor pointed out, our double play was 6th lowest in the MLB.  And while not accurate, Kendrick 0.1 DWar and Aybar a 0.2 DWar can't be good.  Especially in Aybar's case of a sub .700 hitter.  At least Kendrick can hit.  

You improve the up the middle D, and the pitchers will get better.  Although some of our pitchers are too far gone.  

Also, people won't like it.  But I can see Callhoun back in the minors if he still has options left.  If the Angels play it right, you send Callhoun down, 4 years of Hamilton left.  3 years, so right in Callhoun's arbitration years, Hamilton will be off the team.  

That would be an outright waste, gb. I can't see Calhoun rotting in the minors after what we saw the last few months. I could see him being traded rather than Bourjos if the FO decided to go that route, but not festering in AAA. I also don't think they'd extend Bourjos, especially after the injury. Trumbo has a chance, but I still think the FO wants to see more of him.

I think Bourjos is coming back.  I have a feeling they are going to stress D this offseason, and Bourjos brings that.  Also, it would not surprise me if the Angels extend Bourjos for say a 5 or 6 year deal on the cheap.  Something like a 5/$28 or a 6/$34.  With the teams "salary constraints", right now is the best time to extend Bourjos on the downslope.  The same might be said with Trumbo.  Extend him on the cheap while he still relatively cheap.  Because if the new hitting coach figures him out, he can get very expensive real quick.  

Now Aybar and Kendrick.  I can see one of them traded.  As Victor pointed out, our double play was 6th lowest in the MLB.  And while not accurate, Kendrick 0.1 DWar and Aybar a 0.2 DWar can't be good.  Especially in Aybar's case of a sub .700 hitter.  At least Kendrick can hit.  

You improve the up the middle D, and the pitchers will get better.  Although some of our pitchers are too far gone.  

Also, people won't like it.  But I can see Callhoun back in the minors if he still has options left.  If the Angels play it right, you send Callhoun down, 4 years of Hamilton left.  3 years, so right in Callhoun's arbitration years, Hamilton will be off the team.  

I like the idea of extending PB cheap, however we can't add any new salary until Trout is extended!

Trumbo will not be cheap period.  Many on this board doesn't care about HR's and RBI's and only focus on OB and OPS.  However, an arbitrator will certainly reward him for HRs and RBIs.

I define the core players as those who play regularly. And no one has answered my question if we need to trade core players in order to get the pitching we need.

It depends what team the Angels are trading with to get pitching. Tampa Bay or another small market team likely wouldn't want to take on expensive player (Kendrick and Trumbo) or a player that's going to be expensive in the near future. Small market teams would be more interested in trading for prospects that they can control for around six years.

I define the core players as those who play regularly. And no one has answered my question if we need to trade core players in order to get the pitching we need.

I don't think we need to trade core players to get the pitching we need.   Yet.  But come January, if we haven't gotten a starter or two, then we may need to.  

IMO, they absolutely have to.  I don't see who outside of the regular would net them a difference-making SP.  The FA market is thin.  People point to Tanaka, but even if that move worked out, it fills one hole.  The Angels have several.

Whether or not they need to trade core players to get the pitchers they need depends on what the team plans are salary wise.  If they don't want to add much salary then trading someone like Kendrick or Trumbo for a SP is one of their best remaining options.  As far as extending Bourjos that makes no sense to me right now as he's under club control for 3 more years. 

IMO, they absolutely have to.  I don't see who outside of the regular would net them a difference-making SP.  The FA market is thin.  People point to Tanaka, but even if that move worked out, it fills one hole.  The Angels have several.

Best case scenario is signing Tanaka. If we also sign Vargas, then we only have to worry about relief. If we don't sign Tanaka, then we probably don't have a choice than give up Trumbo/Kendrick. And does anyone know when the bidding would start?

Edited by Torridd

Personally I see them trading two of Aybar/Kendrick/Trumbo/Burjous.  Probably not Kendrick and Aybar but any two of those should net the Angels a solid starter and possibly a solid prospect. 

This also makes room to keep Calhoun (who truly has nothing left to prove in the minors) in Anaheim.

Of course I guess you could add Calhoun to the list of guys who could be traded.

Best case scenario is signing Tanaka. If we also sign Vargas, then we only have to worry about relief. If we don't sign Tanaka, then we probably don't have a choice than give up Trumbo/Kendrick. And does anyone know when the bidding would start?

but even if you re-sign Vargas and sign Tanaka, you have no SP depth.  I still think 1 of Bourjos/Kendrick/Trumbo gets traded for high-level SP prospects.

Angels need to acquire multiple SPs this winter IMO - at least 2 w/ML experience and then some minor leaguers.