• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who should/will be our new hitting coach?

yvangelfan

Wally Joyner has to be the favorite. He just declined to stay on the Phillies staff. He has a local connection, played for Scioscia. He is more old school and had reported conflicts with Sandy Alderson on Sabermetrics. Alderson was Billy Beane's mentor in Oakland.

Seeing as he'd fit in more with Scioscia and less with DiPoto…I wonder if he's the right choice.

Eddie Murray would take the job…perhaps. A HOF as the hitting coach? Hmmm

These are all retreads though, so you'd have to wonder if they'd go that route. There is some benefit to having a coach who players can say, wow he did that? Yet, also, those types aren't always the best hitting coaches either.

Vizquel will probably get one of the jobs… third base would be tough as he's not done it, according to Alden Gonzalez, but I've seen many third base coaches get moved to bench coach…Plus Griffen handles the infielders.

Salmon of course has the pedigree as a hitter and would likely have been a HOF candidate if not for injuries. The guy hit and walked. Seems smart and a leader type. I think they'd have given him a roving instructor job (like Vizquel has) if not for the fact that he wants to be close to his kids. Though that seems to be less of an issue now, as he is on most Angels broadcasts.

Will they hire an experienced coach or younger guys?

I wonder. 

If you really want to think outside the box... how about someone like Frank Thomas. Or the now retired Todd Helton as an assistant hitting coach.

I don't see guys like them, who have made a ton of money, getting back into baseball to be an assistant hitting coach or an assistant pitching coach.

Edited by AngelsAndRamsFan

If you really want to think outside the box... how about someone like Frank Thomas.  Or the now retired Todd Helton as an assistant hitting coach.

I think, and going by memory here, Helton stayed with the Rockies, and blocked a few trades, is that his family moved there, loved it there, and wanted to be close.