• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Nice blog post by Victor Rojas

T.G.

Good stuff. A few thoughts.

I'm glad the regular season is over. There's some great playoff baseball going on now and, to be honest, I'm little sick of the Angels and their woes. I need a break and am going to sit back and enjoy the playoffs and watching Peyton Manning come up with creative ways to put points on the board

The Angels late reason surge (and then 4-game sweep by the Rangers) makes me think that they ARE a very talented ball club, but because of the many factors Rojas mentions, they are weak on fundamentals, confidence, and that "X Factor" that makes a winning ballclub. One would think that a change of manager is in order - because it is the manager, more than anyone, that sets the tone in the dugout and influences what happens on the field. But we also know that Scioscia is capable of running a ship with that X-Factor -- in fact, 2002 happened largely because of X Factor (or should we call it Ecks Factor?)

So in addition to bolstering the pitching staff, the Angels need to work on a psychological level more than simply throwing more money around and playing with lineup orders. How to make this team gel? It feels like a team of mercenaries to me. Errors and dumbass plays tend to be contagious, and also are sometimes related to not trusting your team-mates, even if subconsciously. This team needs a soul, and unfortunately I'm not sure they have the configuration of personalities to really gel in that way. I hope I'm wrong!

2012: 134

Interesting points, it might also have been interesting if Rojas shared some of the things he saw as positives.

"You can also talk about the positive strides/adjustments that were made during the late August surge (top record in MLB during that stretch), such as the improvement the team made in hitting vs. LH pitching (finishing at .258 vs LH, 13th in MLB – .282 vs. LH Post All Star Break, 6th in MLB)."

A diamond in the rough.

2012: 134

"You can also talk about the positive strides/adjustments that were made during the late August surge (top record in MLB during that stretch), such as the improvement the team made in hitting vs. LH pitching (finishing at .258 vs LH, 13th in MLB – .282 vs. LH Post All Star Break, 6th in MLB)."

A diamond in the rough.

If that's the only positive... ouch

"The Angels had 793, 1-0 counts from the bullpen (4th most in MLB) as well as 302, 2-0 counts (3rd most in MLB – Houston/Seattle)... As a staff, the Angels threw 58.4% 1st-pitch strikes, which happened to be the 4th lowest in MLB."

I guess that was the perfect season to fire the bench coach and hitting instructor. Put blame where it belonged.

LOL.  AW.com in a nutshell.

I don’t just take one play, pitch, at-bat, and highlight and create something out of it…that’s lazy and it’s not how I’m wound.

Love how you cherry picked that one statement out of his blog to make your point! :P

Was a lot of what Victor brought up about the pitching related to the inexperience there?   Two outs hits and falling behind in the count could potentially be a bugaboo of younger pitchers not experienced enough at putting MLB hitters away consistently enough.

We need to jettison Jepsen, add the Beard, hope Burnett is healthy, and then hope the pen can follow the lead of the vets (the Beard and Burnett).   

One of my observations is that there is a leadership void both in the dugout and in the field. Trout seems capable of being a leader except he only has 2+ seasons under his belt. No one else qualifies (a shame because Albert should really step up and lead ). As for the coaching staff MS just doesn't seem too inspirational. Weaver and Wilson are leaders of the staff, but no one in the pen has that capability. The beard would be a great signing(1yr and an option). He would bring a much needed personality to he club.

Was a lot of what Victor brought up about the pitching related to the inexperience there?   Two outs hits and falling behind in the count could potentially be a bugaboo of younger pitchers not experienced enough at putting MLB hitters away consistently enough.

We need to jettison Jepsen, add the Beard, hope Burnett is healthy, and then hope the pen can follow the lead of the vets (the Beard and Burnett).   

Why would you want to hope that Burnett is healthy?  I think you have to plan that he will not be healthy, and if he is that he will be depth for next year.  Hoping is what gets the team in trouble.

Why would you want to hope that Burnett is healthy?  I think you have to plan that he will not be healthy, and if he is that he will be depth for next year.  Hoping is what gets the team in trouble.

Agreed. Go into 2014 as if Burnett doesn't exist. If he comes back healthy and contributes, that is icing on the cake. Having depth at any position is never a bad thing.

Interesting article of this past season. The article further down he page with blurt was great! I was vocal in my support for blurt to be voted into HOF. 283 wins m62 shut outs. Next project for me to get elected to BBWAA HOF would have to a winner of 265 games pitched in World Series for the Yankees and dodgers. He even has a surgery named afterhim. Tommy John has the most wins of anyone not in the HOF