• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

UCLA Football Thread

nate

8 hours ago, Lou said:

I'm not sure why that point was directed at me since I never claimed that it didn't . I was responding to the comment that wins over BCS teams should be vacated. 

Do you really need me to post the teams with the toughest SOS and the crap PAC 12 teams have scheduled again? 

All that shows is that the SOS calculations are flawed.  The fact that the SEC only plays 8 conf games is pathetic.

4 hours ago, nate said:

All that shows is that the SOS calculations are flawed.  The fact that the SEC only plays 8 conf games is pathetic.

everybody else plays at least 9 conference games, right? or 10?

with all the powder puff teams the SEC plays, it's hard to understand why they're viewed as such invincibles. kudos to the espn image makers on that one.

5 hours ago, nate said:

Really? So if Alabama had a team like Kentucky or the mighty Oregon St Beavers on their schedule it would make that much of a difference to you? 

The best team in our conference doesn't even play Washington or Oregon this year. 

That's pathetic 

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

Really? So if Alabama had a team like Kentucky or the mighty Oregon St Beavers on their schedule it would make that much of a difference to you? 

The best team in our conference doesn't even play Washington or Oregon this year. 

That's pathetic 

It is a lot more than who they play.  Alabama plays all 4 of their non-con games at home.  It means one more away game every other year, it means facing tougher opponents too, SEC rotates their conf schedule the same way as the P12 does but unlike the P12 they play one fewer game so they are less likely to play a tougher conference opponent every year.

Alabama specifically schedules a really shitty team in the middle of the season at home, it is like having a second bye week.  It is a huge advantage.

Edited by nate

5 minutes ago, nate said:

It is a lot more than who they play.  Alabama plays all 4 of their non-con games at home.  

you may want to tell @nando714 that, seeing how he went to Atlanta to watch them dominate the #3 team in the country. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Atlanta, Alabama.

Last year they went to Dallas and completely embarrassed southern cal. 

An extra non-conference game isn't the reason they did that. That's just an excuse other conferences make to feel better about themselves 

1 hour ago, Tank said:

everybody else plays at least 9 conference games, right? or 10?

with all the powder puff teams the SEC plays, it's hard to understand why they're viewed as such invincibles. kudos to the espn image makers on that one.

No Arizona 

NM State (who is dropping out of the FBS)

Texas St

No Colorado 

No Dakota 

Weber St

Portland St

So Utah

Montana

Montana St

All powerhouses on Pac 12 schedules this year 

Champions by conference since 2006:

SEC  8

ACC  2

BIG 10 (?)  1

That is probably why they have been considered the best conference in the country. 

HYou really think having an extra game vs Kentucky or Vanderbilt is really going to make a difference? 

How would PAC 12 teams fare if the had to play:

Mississipi

@ Texas A&M

Arkansas

Tennessee

LSU 

@ Mississippi St

@ Auburn

??

There isn't a team in the PAC 12 that has as tough a conference schedule as that. 

You are still missing the point, and I am not saying that the Pac 12 is a better conference, though they have much bigger balls than the SEC.

Oregon St still played 9 conference games with that extra bye, Alabama may as well play 11.  The middle SEC teams especially are really inflated as far as how good they are which is shown during bowl season.

You are missing the point that Alabama's schedule is tougher than anyone in the PAC 12 (perhaps country) regardless of whether they play one less conference game or not. If they had one more conference game they would still kick the crap out of that team. You really think an added game vs Kentcky, Vanderbilt or THE usc is going to make a difference? If so, you're crazy. And you dismiss all the SOS rankings yet use bowl records to make a point? Look at the opponents in the bowl games. You know our conference bowl tie-ins are an absolute joke. I didn't look into this past bowl season, but I remember having to explain why a certain conference had a worse overall bowl record than other conferences...

On August 10, 2015 at 8:02 PM,  HeavenlyHalos said: 

Disagreed. The East is a terrible division. The West went 2-5 in their bowl games. They are no longer on top, but I guess that unfortunately means I don't know anything about college football.

On September 5, 2015 at 9:22 AM,  Lou said: 

Delve deeper.

Take the final rankings, then disregard the SEC teams (bc they didn't play each other)

Four of their bowl losses were to the teams ranked #s 1,3,6 and 10

Don't forget, the Pac 12 conference champs (finally) played in the FBS playoffs last year and were humiliated by Alabama. A game vs another conference opponent wouldn't have changed that one bit. If you are going to back your argument with bowl records, we might as well move on, because that is utterly ridiculous 

2 hours ago, Lou said:

You are missing the point that Alabama's schedule is tougher than anyone in the PAC 12 (perhaps country) regardless of whether they play one less conference game or not. If they had one more conference game they would still kick the crap out of that team. You really think an added game vs Kentcky, Vanderbilt or THE usc is going to make a difference? If so, you're crazy. And you dismiss all the SOS rankings yet use bowl records to make a point? Look at the opponents in the bowl games. You know our conference bowl tie-ins are an absolute joke. I didn't look into this past bowl season, but I remember having to explain why a certain conference had a worse overall bowl record than other conferences...

On August 10, 2015 at 8:02 PM,  HeavenlyHalos said: 

Disagreed. The East is a terrible division. The West went 2-5 in their bowl games. They are no longer on top, but I guess that unfortunately means I don't know anything about college football.

On September 5, 2015 at 9:22 AM,  Lou said: 

Delve deeper.

Take the final rankings, then disregard the SEC teams (bc they didn't play each other)

Four of their bowl losses were to the teams ranked #s 1,3,6 and 10

Don't forget, the Pac 12 conference champs (finally) played in the FBS playoffs last year and were humiliated by Alabama. A game vs another conference opponent wouldn't have changed that one bit. If you are going to back your argument with bowl records, we might as well move on, because that is utterly ridiculous 

The SEC still benefits from 8 conference games overall, although unlikely to effect Alabama's record/ranking, it does help more teams overall get ranked as they don't have to beat up on each other as often and can schedule another FCS school. It's a great conference and Alabama is obviously the most dominant program out there since Saban's arrival. Last point, Oregon, as the winner of the Pac-12 conference of champions, won the first ever playoff game. :) 

Their conference record is still tougher than any PAC 12 team's conference schedule, no matter how many games they play. And their FSU game is as tough as any 2 non-conference teams a P12 team plays.

And they kicked the shit out of the P12's two best teams last year. 

In bowl games last year,

Colorado was thrashed by Oklahoma St

Washington St lost to Minn, the 8th best team in the B10

Washington was beaten up by Alabama 

Utah beat Indiana, the 9th best team in the B10 by 2 pts

Stanford had to stop a 2-pt conversion at the end of the game to beat the #5 team from the ACC. 

sc was the only team to beat a decent team... barely (hi nando)

20 minutes ago, Lou said:

And they kicked the shit out of the P12's two best teams last year. 

Bored, so I decided to take a look back at these games. It's worse than I had remembered. Combined scores were 76-13 

388 Total Yards.... sc and Washington combined! Both teams were held to 194 yards offense (108 rushing)

Bama had 791 total yards, btw. 

I'm sure adding Kentucky would have changed all of that.