• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A's, Tigers Trade "#@%! You"s Then Shoves As Fight Breaks Out In Ninth

Chuck

http://deadspin.com/as-tigers-trade-****-you-s-then-shoves-as-fight-brea-1442147216

Grant Balfour's no stranger to brawls in the ALDS sparked by profanity, and he was at the center of one again today in the ninth as he attempted to close out a win for the A's against the Tigers. Alas, Victor Martinez was going to make sure today's bottom of the ninth would be punctuated with pugilism.

Kudos to MLB Network for giving us wide open microphones on the field!

Grant Balfour is an absolute nutcase. I don't really think anyone is to blame for this. It looks like Balfour started cussing at himself like he does every game but he did it while staring at Martinez. It's possible he was cussing at Martinez but it would have been a really weird time in the game to do it. I think Martinez thought he was talking to him and cussed back. And Balfour isn't a player who is going to let you cuss at him, even if it was him that caused the confusion that made it happen.

Edited by HaloMagic

Balfour is a bit loony, of course.   But this stuff has also been going on with Tigers' players, going back to the Halos 2011 fracas. 

Yes, Balfour said something, BUT Martinez could have just gotten back in the box instead of pursuing the argument further.   It's not like he was thrown at recently. 

And of course, emotions can get carried away in crucial games.   But this stuff includes Detroit players too often.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Grant Balfour is an absolute nutcase. I don't really think anyone is to blame for this. It looks like Balfour started cussing at himself like he does every game but he did it while staring at Martinez. It's possible he was cussing at Martinez but it would have been a really weird time in the game to do it. I think Martinez thought he was talking to him and cussed back. And Balfour isn't a player who is going to let you cuss at him, even if it was him that caused the confusion that made it happen.

Balfour said "What the **** you looking at, bitch?"

I wouldn't consider that cussing at himself.

Did you watch any of the video?

Yes, and while yes Balfour ultimately said something to Martinez, did Martinez have to pursue it? 

HM said it best, if all Balfour was doing was yelling at himself, then what was Martinez' problem?   

Granted, it takes two to restrain oneself, to prevent this from happening.

Balfour has this kind of history, but so do Tigers players going back 2 years to the Verlander game against Weaver.

Martinez shouldn't interpret everything said by a pitcher as being an afront to him.

If indeed Balfour was cussing at himself, why should Martinez even care?    Staring at Balfour doesn't help matters either. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

Basically what you said.

After Martinez fouled it off, I looked away and thought some fans were talking crap so I thought nothing of it till I looked back.

What does it mean? Nothing. It's good for a laugh (my friend thought it was hilarious), posting on youtube and forums like this.

I'm not even that big of a Balfour fan. He walks way too many people, relies too much on one pitch, but this 'incident' is just good for talking about and nothing more.

Unless he gets lit up tomorrow, than that's another story.

Balfour said "What the **** you looking at, bitch?"

I wouldn't consider that cussing at himself.

Yeah, Balfour did say that. But, he also cusses at himself too sometimes. Last game, he went down 3 balls no strikes to Cabrera and when he got the ball back from the catcher, he looked up and yelled, "Throw a f*cking strike!" They guy's just a tad bit high strung while he's on the mound. 

Balfour is such a punk. He pulled the same stuff against Orlando Cabrera a few years ago, and something he did this year really pissed Pujols off.

I am sure Albert made him pay.......like making him throw a few more pitches for a strike out,ground out or fly out.

That will show em!

Thats awesome....

Looks like Martinez was starring Balfour down the entire time after he hit the foul ball. Balfour waited for a new ball and after catching it noticed Martinez was still starring at him and in a not so polite way asked him what he was looking at.

yeah, but it appears that Balfour was cussing (probably at himself, but who knows) - you can see his head moving as though he's yelling, after the foul ball.  That's what causes Martinez to stare at him, which is the funniest part of the video to me.  Martinez is looking out at him like "what the **** is going on with this guy?"

Looks like Martinez was starring Balfour down the entire time after he hit the foul ball. Balfour waited for a new ball and after catching it noticed Martinez was still starring at him and in a not so polite way asked him what he was looking at.

That's what I got from it, Martinez was glaring at him from the moment he fouled it off and all Balfour was doing at the time was walking to the catcher for a ball, he wasn't even looking directly at him.

I guess tensions are high with the Tigers considering they are getting beaten in the playoffs two years in a row with the reigning Triple Crown and MVP.