• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Player's View: Who's the Best in the Game?

Punk

Trout has his weaknesses like all great players do.

Trout still has to prove his real worth over 4-5 years.

There's many great players in the game today. To claim that Trout is leaps and bonds better is laughable.

Mike Trout is Willie Mays...............with Johnny Damon's arm.   Still a bad-ass though.

Trout has his weaknesses like all great players do.

Trout still has to prove his real worth over 4-5 years.

There's many great players in the game today. To claim that Trout is leaps and bonds better is laughable.

And yet you are doing nothing to disprove that notion. All you can muster up is "WAR is the worst stat ever."

In other words, you got nothing.

"To claim that Trout is leaps and bounds better is laughable."

You've already tried before (and failed) by saying WAR is the worst stat ever. So...disprove it. Tell us why Trout isn't on another level as a ballplayer?

Waiting for you to enlighten us with some real, hard scientific data and evidence. 

"To claim that Trout is leaps and bounds better is laughable."

You've already tried before (and failed) by saying WAR is the worst stat ever. So...disprove it. Tell us why Trout isn't on another level as a ballplayer?

Waiting for you to enlighten us with some real, hard scientific data and evidence. 

All you need to do is look at his screenname and you will realize that your efforts to win this argument are entirely fruitless.

I agree with Pence ... WAR has to be the worst stat in baseball. Does anyone here know the formula?

You don't need WAR to know who are the best players in the game.

Trout is the complete package but Cabrera is a game changer.

The formula is gathering combinations of offensive, defensive and baserunning data and putting it into one ideal stat. 

It blows my mind that some fans aren't willing to credit WAR or at the very least accept that it's the best way to quantify an entire skill set of a player. Are we still living in the 1970's and can't be open minded about new stats? 

I think this might have caught my attention as much as anything else here:

Brian Dozier, Minnesota Twins infielder; "It’s not like he plays a bad third base, either."

Brian Duensing, Minnesota Twins pitcher; "He plays a decent third base."

Adrian Gonzalez, Los Angeles Dodgers infielder: "he’s pretty good defensively, too.”

Casey Janssen, Toronto Blue Jays pitcher: "he plays a good enough third base."

These guys play against both players and their evaluations come from more playing time than most have sat on their asses watching. So their observations have nothing to do with counting stats, it has to do with competition and basing everything on what they see happen on the field.

You guys spend your time fawning over numbers and in the case of WAR over a formula most can't even put into words to understand how that final number is achieved. But all those sexy number convince you that the players are dumb guys that don't know anything about the game they play.

I wonder sometimes how you guys thought you became experts.

These guys play against both players and their evaluations come from more playing time than most have sat on their asses watching. So their observations have nothing to do with counting stats, it has to do with competition and basing everything on what they see happen on the field.

You guys spend your time fawning over numbers and in the case of WAR over a formula most can't even put into words to understand how that final number is achieved. But all those sexy number convince you that the players are dumb guys that don't know anything about the game they play.

So I guess scouts are pretty much worthless, then?

It doesn't take a genius to know Cabrera is terrible defensively. The experts who find these defensive stats are the ones finding the data and watching games anyways. These players only play against a guy a max of 19 times a year. How do they know he isn't awful the other games they don't see?