• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you want Cano for 20, 25 million a year?

“It’s definitely eye-opening because it’s a lot of money,” Trout told the Daily News on Thursday. “But that’s the way the game is going nowadays. Contracts just keep getting bigger and bigger.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/trout-calls-cano-contract-demands-eye-op-ening-article-1.1475411#ixzz2giGOH1R0

Not even for five years. Just imagine the outcry when Trout can't be extended because we're paying Cano, Pujols, Hamilton, AND Wilson.

The line has to be drawn somewhere. And I am drawing it now:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dangit mark. You left an opening at the bottom. Now we'll probably sign ellsbury this winter.

Would you guys get rid of Howie for Kinsler if Texas let him go?

I think I would.

What is it about Kinsler's career ,242/.312/.399 career batting line away from Texas makes you willing to take on the 14.25 mil per year he is guaranteed the next 5 years.  

In what world is a guy that can't hit away from that bandbox an upgrade over Kendrick at 9.25 mil the next two years?  

Edited by Inside Pitch

Absolutely not.  He plays in a little league stadium.  

Career home OPS: .858

Career road OPS: .862

Edit: if you look at just "new" Yankee stadium, his OPS there is a little over .900--but his career road OPS is still very good.  To be clear, I'm not advocating signing him.  Just pointing out that he's not solely a product of where he plays his home games.

Edited by jsnpritchett

The next $100 million+ contract better be for Trout.

If it isn't this franchise is probably f¥€%ed

Pretty much this. Too bad they're worried about their little luxury tax, though. 

The Angels had no problem rewarding Pujols and Hamilton for what they did for another organization. How about ponying up the cash to reward someone who did it for this organization? Trout is a once-in-a-generation kind of player...surely the Angels aren't dumb enough to let him get away? 

My take is that we've taken our share of this long term multi-million dollar contracts that get you a key player (mainly on past performance) at ONE position but reduces the front office's ability to field quality players in the rest of the line-up as well as significantly affecting the team's ability to pick up that key 23rd to 25th person on the roster -- the key set-up guy out of the pen, the key MIF utility guy off the bench, the key slugger part-time DH........when all is said and done it is often the difference in the quality of those roster spots between the teams that make the difference come stretch time.

and then there's the issue discussed on another thread on this board -- team chemistry.......a 10 year $150 million or whatever contract for one guy while another guy is making less than one tenth of that tends to cause some 'clubhouse chemistry' issues.

So I say NO to any more long term contract.

Look at it this way. Over the last two years, Howie Kendrick has accrued 5.7 WAR in 267 games, so that puts him at about a 3 WAR player for a 140+ game season. Kendrick is due $9.35M in 2014 and $9.5M in 2015.

Cano, on the other hand, has 13.7 WAR in 321 games in the same time span. Given that 2012 was a career year, Cano's peak average seems closer to 6 WAR per season. Cano is likely to get $25M per season - and for the next 6-8 years.

So we could either have:

*Kendrick's 3 WAR for a bit over $9M for the next two years, with a cheap replacement in Lindsey or Yarbrough after

*Cano's 6 WAR for $25M per year, with decline inevitable at some point

or, alternately:

*Grant Green's 1-2+ WAR for 500K for a year or two, with Lindsey and Yarbrough as possible upgrades in the future

Signing Cano would be absurd and really shouldn't be a question. He's significantly better than Kendrick, but not better value  - especially when you factor in Green, Lindsey, and Yarbrough.

The real question is whether or not to trade Kendrick and save about $17.5M over the next two years in the process - which could be factored into a Trout extension or a free agent pitcher. To me it is what needs to happen. A conservative estimate would have Green being only a small downgrade offensively, and a moderate downgrade defensively. But I think Green is well capable of putting up a 2 WAR next year, maybe better. That 1+ extra WAR can be more than made up for by transforming Howie's contract into pitching improvement.

Career home OPS: .858

Career road OPS: .862

Edit: if you look at just "new" Yankee stadium, his OPS there is a little over .900--but his career road OPS is still very good.  To be clear, I'm not advocating signing him.  Just pointing out that he's not solely a product of where he plays his home games.

I stand corrected, jsnpritchett.  Thank you for doing the research that I clearly should have done myself before opening my big fat yapper.