• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jeter to Manage Yankees???

Hubs

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/derek-jeter-manage-york-yankees-210500083--mlb.html

It's a "Contributor" Article, but I don't hate the idea for them.

Doesn't affect the Angels, but it is interesting to consider the concept of a Player-Manager again. It keeps Jeter in the lineup, but not as the full-time guy on an aging roster. He's three hits shy of Molitor for 8th all-time. Three more successful seasons like 2011 where he had 162 hits (not to mention seasons like 2012 when he had 216) would put him at 3800 all time. Realistically to pass Rose though, he'd have to hit 150 hits a season for 6 more years. I don't think that's gonna happen and we all hate it when a guy hangs on to get stats….still as fit as he is, if he can recover from the injury next year, he could hang on to pass Rose. It's even more likely for him to do 2 more seasons as the mostly full-time guy, yet then transition into a part time player and pass the record getting 100 hits for the next six years as a backup occasional guy…which normally Jeter wouldn't likely stand for, but also he would be the manager, so no one would look at him negatively for holding on.

Interesting concept.

Edited by Hubs

I would be worried that as a manager his decision making range would be very limited, yet still end up overrated because of the occasional flashy decision that works out.

Could you imagine Jeter running out to the mound to make a pitching change but then taking a sharp turn and ending up in the stands while signaling for the situational lefty to come in? Jeter manages the game the right way and gives 110%.

Well that's great if we get Girardi here --- I like him as manager --

I liked it when he just up and quit (where was it? Colorado?) because management wasn't supporting him or something.

He had had a good season for them but wouldn't give him the authority to make certain personnel decisions, so he said "I'm outta here"

Scioscia sort of did the same thing when he was managing the Dodgers AAA team in Albuquerque -- they micro-managed his player personnel/ line up stuff and he finally had enough and just quit without having another job lined up.

Girardi reminds me of a younger Scioscia in terms of managing -- I've always liked Scioscia but I think he's grown stale in the job and we might need a change.

A guy like Girardi (or I like Matheny, Cards manager, too) would fit the bill........

I liked it when he just up and quit (where was it? Colorado?) because management wasn't supporting him or something.

He had had a good season for them but wouldn't give him the authority to make certain personnel decisions, so he said "I'm outta here"

Scioscia sort of did the same thing when he was managing the Dodgers AAA team in Albuquerque -- they micro-managed his player personnel/ line up stuff and he finally had enough and just quit without having another job lined up.

Girardi reminds me of a younger Scioscia in terms of managing -- I've always liked Scioscia but I think he's grown stale in the job and we might need a change.

A guy like Girardi (or I like Matheny, Cards manager, too) would fit the bill........

Florida.

Girardi has managed the Yankees and Marlins. The Marlins fired him after the 2006 season, a year in which he won NL Manager of the Year. The animosity stemmed from an incident during a game in August of that year, when Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria was harassing home plate umpire Larry Vanover. Vanover told Girardi about the problem, and Girardi and his bench coach told Loria to stop. Although Loria was talked out of firing Girardi immediately after the game, he didn't last past the end of the season.