• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Price is Right

According to Cot's.  3.164 years of service time.  After this year, it'll be 4.164.  So 2 years left.  I'm thinking he must have been a super 2.  Although Cot's doesn't list him as a super 2.  

That can't be right can it? His first full season was 09. 5+ seasons under his belt with the 08 post season run.

Question: Do you think the Rays would trade David Price for Pedro Alvarez? Didn't think so. Pedro Alvarez is basically the NL version of Mark Trumbo. He hit .233/.296/.473 with an NL-leading 36 HR and 186 strikeouts. Alvarez, however, is a third baseman - not a good one, but not terrible. So even if we want to argue that Trumbo's been doing it for longer, Alvarez plays 3B and is a year younger, so overall their value is similar.

It is my sense that the Angels - FO and fans - over-value Mark Trumbo. We need to dial back our expectations a bit if we think we can net a pitcher like David Price for him. Maybe Trumbo and two of our best prospects will get the conversation started.

Edited by Angelsjunky

That can't be right can it? His first full season was 09. 5+ seasons under his belt with the 08 post season run.

Yeah, definitely 4.  Not to 5, since that 2009 season he only had 23 starts, so it was a partial season. Still as MLB service time, it'll be 2 years, since after this year, he will still be in the 5 area for service time.  

I've never seen Cot's off, so there must be some weird way they calculate the service time to have such a low decimal number.

Question: Do you think the Rays would trade David Price for Pedro Alvarez? Didn't think so. Pedro Alvarez is basically the NL version of Mark Trumbo. He hit .233/.296/.473 with an NL-leading 36 HR and 186 strikeouts. Alvarez, however, is a third baseman - not a good one, but not terrible. So even if we want to argue that Trumbo's been doing it for longer, Alvarez plays 3B and is a year younger, so overall their value is similar.

It is my sense that the Angels - FO and fans - over-value Mark Trumbo. We need to dial back our expectations a bit if we think we can net a pitcher like David Price for him. Maybe Trumbo and two of our best prospects will get the conversation started.

Trumbo is a good place to start is all I'm saying.

I think you under rate Trumbo's value. When Trumbo's on ... he can carry a offense as we know.

There's still room for improvement for Trumbo.

According to Cot's.  3.164 years of service time.  After this year, it'll be 4.164.  So 2 years left.  I'm thinking he must have been a super 2.  Although Cot's doesn't list him as a super 2.  

Baseball-reference.com has him listed as a Super Two. Interesting how his salaries increased over the years even though he is only becoming Arbitration eligible this off season. Weird.

Trumbo is a good place to start is all I'm saying.

I think you under rate Trumbo's value. When Trumbo's on ... he can carry a offense as we know.

There's still room for improvement for Trumbo.

Problem is, he basically = Timmy Lupus for 2 months every season. Why else is the OPS ONLY in the .700s so far in his MLB career?

I love the low maintenance delivery that Price has.

I'd throw the bank at him after 2015 for 7-8 seasons, as he's only 29/30 then.

Makes 100% more sense than what they did with a declining Pujols.

He also leads qualified pitchers in Ks looking. He has deception with that delivery. More value imo.

Problem is, he basically = Timmy Lupus for 2 months every season. Why else is the OPS ONLY in the .700s so far in his MLB career?

35 HR's 100 RBI's 85 Runs

I think these numbers alone will attract many buyers. His presence in a lineup makes other players better.

He's still young and buyers will believe his plate discipline is fixable.

I love the low maintenance delivery that Price has.

I'd throw the bank at him after 2015 for 7-8 seasons, as he's only 29/30 then.

Makes 100% more sense than what they did with a declining Pujols.

Pitchers never look good with 7-8 year contracts.  Too many things can happen to their arm.  Never go more than 5 with a pitcher.

I think the Rangers top two targets this off season will be Price and Mccann.  The Angels cannot compete prospect wise with the Rangers... nor should they.

The problem for the Angels is they will have to trade salary in order to take any on because of the luxury tax threshold unless Arte is willing to go over it, which is possible but unlikely.

Howie, Trumbo and Bourjos are probably all on the block.

Edited by nate

And even then, I would think someone like the Rangers could probably offer better.

They have better prospects to offer if they're so inclined, and I have a hard time seeing Trumbo as a guy the Rays would be enamored with, especially when he's about to get expensive.

He'll attract buyers but not the ones you are looking for

Reminds me of Greg Giraldo talking about cleavage.  He talks about how women have to accept that it isn't like a smart bomb, and while it will get you the attention you want it will also get you a lot more attention that you don't want.

Reminds me of Greg Giraldo talking about cleavage.  He talks about how women have to accept that it isn't like a smart bomb, and while it will get you the attention you want it will also get you a lot more attention that you don't want.

RIP

Except their value isn't the same to the Rays who have a third baseman.