• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If Scioscia and Dipoto both stay....

Ohtaniland

Why do people think we're automatically doomed? We finished third again because of the same exact problem last year, P-I-T-C-H-I-N-G. We have the trade chips to acquire an impact starter. If we can sign Tanaka and use our trade chips for another starter, our starting pitching will be in good shape. Sign a closer like Brian Wilson and another legit piece like Balfour and we have a superior bullpen. With the addition of those 4 arms, we have ourselves a serious contender. We aren't as far off as some people think

I have to disagree about competing for the AL West Division title. We finished 18 games out. We are saddled down with some pretty bad contractual obligations next season (Pujols, Hamilton and Wells) that leaves us very little wiggle room to improve. Plus you think the same knuckleheads running the ship can get us there. It won't happen.

How far back was Cleveland last year?  

Scioscia got us into the playoffs more than that and even Reagins got us to the playoffs. Albert Pujols has won 2 WS and been a multiple time MVP.

Yes, and the point?

Arte is capable of leading us into the playoffs.

Scioscia is capable of leading us tot he playoffs

I don't think Pujols is capable of winning any more MVP's but he can pull out an all star season or two.  

Exactly, this isn't a "what you did several years back" world.

What this franchise has done the past 4 years is the main thing.

The question was do you have confidence in the  owner getting us to the playoffs.  Since he has a track record of getting teams to the playoffs, I argue he can!

Too many of you people think history doesn't matter.  What a person has done in the past is a clear indication of what he capable of!

Why do people think we're automatically doomed? We finished third again because of the same exact problem last year, P-I-T-C-H-I-N-G. We have the trade chips to acquire an impact starter. If we can sign Tanaka and use our trade chips for another starter, our starting pitching will be in good shape. Sign a closer like Brian Wilson and another legit piece like Balfour and we have a superior bullpen. With the addition of those 4 arms, we have ourselves a serious contender. We aren't as far off as some people think

It's not easy to get pitching. If it were that easy everyone would do it. The amount of pitching we were off from seriously contending was a lot. Sure we have trade chips, but they will set us further back on offense. We trade Kendrick next year maybe instead of losing games 5-4 or 4-3 we lose them 4-3 or 3-2. It's still a loss.

In addition to the loss of offensive talent needed to acquire pitching lets not forget this team is old. Few guys are on the upslope of their career. More are in their peaks or on the decline. The pitching gains would have to offset the natural decline from age as well.

Edited by eaterfan

If Butcher is still pitching coach, then my confidence drops.  

This is the guy I'd want, but not sure if he still wants to be a pitching coach.  But I would definitely inquire.  

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/dave-duncan-mulls-return-to-baseball-not-as-pitching-coach-091213

Doesn't seem like he'd want to coach, which makes sense considering his son's condition (and location).

At least not full-time.

How far back was Cleveland last year?

Cleveland changed Managers and they're not being held hostage with a bunch of overblown contracts. Their highest paid player made $11M this season. In 2014 we will have 4 players on our roster making more money than the highest paid player on Cleveland's roster. Plus we still owe Vernon Wells $18.6M.

Too many of you people think history doesn't matter.  What a person has done in the past is a clear indication of what he capable of!

I suppose I'm one of "you people".  Your argument can be used just as easily on the last four years...a clear indication of what Scioscia is capable of.  As to Pujols having an all star year, don't wager too much on that.  We don't even know if the guy will ever run again.

This team needs a change in leadership.  They have changed field personnel over the last 4 yrs and yet the results are pretty much the same...no post season activity. 

We have the trade chips to acquire an impact starter.

I absolutely disagree. Howie Kendrick seems to be our most marketable player (aside from Mike Trout, who won't be traded). Middle infielders don't bring front line starters. Peter Bourjos' recent injury history has to be giving some teams considerable pause despite his obvious upside. Erick Aybar is Howie Kendrick with a weaker bat. Chris Iannetta wouldn't bring much. Mark Trumbo is a one-dimensional player who is all-or-nothing at the plate. He either fans or dents somebody's car in the parking lot. Josh Hamilton and Albert Pujols are untradeable due to their contracts. I'm not sure what other "trade chips" are left.