• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If Scioscia and Dipoto both stay....

Ohtaniland

I don't have much confidence in a real championship run in 2014 for this team regardless of who the GM or the manager is. 

Exactly right. The question is my confidence in them getting a championship in 2015,16 and beyond. Actually, with this owner I have little confidence on that happening either.

Meanwhile, in "Angry Arte's" house.......snoreeee, tic toc tic toc, snoreeee

If Arte Moreno thinks that 23-9 stretch was enough to keep the status quo, and totally ignore the meltdown in Tejas, then I am convinced he knows NOTHING about baseball.  

Edited by Angel Oracle

What percentage of confidence 0% - 100% do you have in them to lead our Angels to a real championship run in 2014.

Division championship or WS championship?

We are not far from competing for a division championship.  We have four starting pitchers and we need a middle of rotation arm.  We need two no 6 and no 7 pitchers for depth so we don't have scrubs come in if a starter gets hurt.  We need Burnett healthy and one more quality arm in the pen.  The bullpen pitched a mot better when the starters went deeper and did a better job late in the season. 

As for offense:  We need a quality 3b.  We have trade chips so the right moves can get us there.

As for WS championship I will not speculate.  In my opinion the WS is a crap shoot.  Whoever is playing better at that time wins it. 

I don't blame Scioscia for the disaster this franchise is in.  They have made poor personal moves over the last six years that has really backfired:  Wells/Napoli trade, Kazmir, Haren trade (in hindsight) and Grienke.  Plus add the signings of GMJ, Matsui, Pujols (in hindsight) and Hamilton (in hindsight). 

I blame most of this mess on Reagins although many on this board blame Moreno.  I do not blame Dipoto as it looks like his hands were tied this past year and he gambled and lost on his personal moves.

Division championship or WS championship?

We are not far from competing for a division championship. We have four starting pitchers and we need a middle of rotation arm. We need two no 6 and no 7 pitchers for depth so we don't have scrubs come in if a starter gets hurt. We need Burnett healthy and one more quality arm in the pen. The bullpen pitched a mot better when the starters went deeper and did a better job late in the season.

As for offense: We need a quality 3b. We have trade chips so the right moves can get us there.

As for WS championship I will not speculate. In my opinion the WS is a crap shoot. Whoever is playing better at that time wins it.

I don't blame Scioscia for the disaster this franchise is in. They have made poor personal moves over the last six years that has really backfired: Wells/Napoli trade, Kazmir, Haren trade (in hindsight) and Grienke. Plus add the signings of GMJ, Matsui, Pujols (in hindsight) and Hamilton (in hindsight).

I blame most of this mess on Reagins although many on this board blame Moreno. I do not blame Dipoto as it looks like his hands were tied this past year and he gambled and lost on his personal moves.

I have to disagree about competing for the AL West Division title. We finished 18 games out. We are saddled down with some pretty bad contractual obligations next season (Pujols, Hamilton and Wells) that leaves us very little wiggle room to improve. Plus you think the same knuckleheads running the ship can get us there. It won't happen.

If we get better pitching.......85-98% chance.

Dipoto will have a plan heading into the Winter meetings with about $35 Million to spread around on pitchers, then Arte will head over to Robinson Cano's house, offer him $25 Million a year for 8 years, leave Dipoto with $10 Million for pitching, and wonder why the Angels don't get to the playoffs in 2014.

Just sayin'.

Scioscia got us into the playoffs more than that and even Reagins got us to the playoffs. Albert Pujols has won 2 WS and been a multiple time MVP.

Exactly, this isn't a "what you did several years back" world.

What this franchise has done the past 4 years is the main thing.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Dipoto will have a plan heading into the Winter meetings with about $35 Million to spread around on pitchers, then Arte will head over to Robinson Cano's house, offer him $25 Million a year for 8 years, leave Dipoto with $10 Million for pitching, and wonder why the Angels don't get to the playoffs in 2014.

Just sayin'.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that Arte has learned his lesson and Robby will not be in Anaheim next year...I hope so anyway....

I have to disagree about competing for the AL West Division title. We finished 18 games out. We are saddled down with some pretty bad contractual obligations next season (Pujols, Hamilton and Wells) that leaves us very little wiggle room to improve. Plus you think the same knuckleheads running the ship can get us there. It won't happen.

Being stuck with the Pujols and Hamilton contracts is a bigger factor than anything else, IMO - although I am increasingly of the opinion that a fresh voice in the dugout is needed. The owner has shown a willingness to spend money on payroll. He needs to let his baseball people guide him in spending it much more wisely, although that particular horse is probably out of the barn for at least the next 4-5 years.

A new pitching coach is a must. Pitchers don't improve when they come here, many regress, problems are not identified and addressed, and this staff is notoriously bad at holding baserunners - a teachable skill in my book, if we had someone capable of teaching it.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

I have always felt that a Manager is worth +5 to -5 wins from year to year, but it's so hard to actually quantify.  With the lack of talent and injuries this year, I'd put MS at about 0 to -1 or -2.  Best case for the talent on this team is therefore about 7 more wins than what they ended up with if they had a manager that got the most possible out of them.  And that is purely conjecture as who the hell really knows.  Many managers may have done worse.  With the right group, I think MS can still be that +5 guy but I wouldn't go crazy if they decided to try someone else. 

I have confidence in JD despite his recent failures. 

I think his strengths are getting unproven talent so if he is allowed to do his thing, I have confidence in him.  However, I am not confident he's gonna be allowed to run the team as he sees fit.  I am not sure anyone is. 

Arte is the wildcard.  If he's still pulling the strings, they are gonna have to luck their way into a pitching staff.  Hopefully, he gets his mind set on bringing in Tanaka and he has grown tired of watching the pen fail.  He is the most important factor in the long term success of this team.