• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why I dont understand everyone complaining about Pujols...

QuinlansMinion

Ive seen a lot of people on here complaining about the Pujols signing.  Everyone thought that was a great signing at the time, every Angels fan was excited about it.  Even though it hasnt worked out so far, we cant be sure Albert wont return to form if hes healthy again next year.  He was the best player in baseball for a decade, it seems pretty unlikely he would just fall off and become completely useless given his work ethic.

The same people complaining about the signing now praised it when it happened. 

Everyone? I certainly wasn't excited with the signing because the contract was way too long. I know a lot of people felt the same way. Last offseason, fans were saying the same thing (this year Albert were put up the same numbers he put up in his prime) and I'm sure before next season starts, some fans will be saying the same thing. Who cares what Pujols did when he was in his prime with the Cards and put up HOF numbers. Those numbers are meaningless to the Angels and Angel fans.

We all knew the contract was horrible. What most were happy about was that they could get two to three good years out of him. Maybe a World series.

We got a decent but not Pujols type of season out of him. This season.....well. He's got possibly 1 to 2 seasons where he might have potential.

Edited by Kevin

Ive seen a lot of people on here complaining about the Pujols signing.  Everyone thought that was a great signing at the time, every Angels fan was excited about it.  Even though it hasnt worked out so far, we cant be sure Albert wont return to form if hes healthy again next year.  He was the best player in baseball for a decade, it seems pretty unlikely he would just fall off and become completely useless given his work ethic.

The same people complaining about the signing now praised it when it happened. 

Not sure everyone liked the idea of signing a 31-35 yr old 1B to a quarter-billion 10 yr deal...The "its not my money" issue was probably what most LAA fans felt and the excitement that it would work for 3-5 years before being an albatross...

Not sure everyone liked the idea of signing a 31-35 yr old 1B to a quarter-billion 10 yr deal...The "its not my money" issue was probably what most LAA fans felt and the excitement that it would work for 3-5 years before being an albatross...

Why are you making a non-troll post? This is completely unlike you. Are you OK? Do you have a fever? Go see a doctor.

Edited by RallyMo

Everyone? I certainly wasn't excited with the signing because the contract was way too long. I know a lot of people felt the same way. Last offseason, fans were saying the same thing (this year Albert were put up the same numbers he put up in his prime) and I'm sure before next season starts, some fans will be saying the same thing. Who cares what Pujols did when he was in his prime with the Cards and put up HOF numbers. Those numbers are meaningless to the Angels and Angel fans.

Everyone was excited about the signing, although some felt it would be too long and the contract would be bad in the later years.  NO ONE expected the contract to be bad in year one and two.

Year 1....adjustments - family - knee - calf

Year 2....knee - plantars fasciitis

Year 3....(insert here)

To be fair (and I'm not a big fan of the guy), throw out april 2012 a d he was pretty solid the rest of the year. This yesr he did have a legitimate injury, played on it most of the year before it finally gave.

I'm not trying to make excuses for the guy, but a lot of it I can't point a finger. IMO, hamilton has been a lot worse and can't see any reason why he was so bad this year. Didnt change leagues, has played a ton of games in anaheim, etc etc.

To be fair (and I'm not a big fan of the guy), throw out april 2012 a d he was pretty solid the rest of the year. This yesr he did have a legitimate injury, played on it most of the year before it finally gave.

I'm not trying to make excuses for the guy, but a lot of it I can't point a finger. IMO, hamilton has been a lot worse and can't see any reason why he was so bad this year. Didnt change leagues, has played a ton of games in anaheim, etc etc.

If you go back to 2009 you can clearly see 5 consecutive years of decline for one reason or another. He's never going to be the Albert Pujols MVP type player again. He's not even an All Star anymore. The MLB fans don't even pay much attention to him anymore. He's now a .270 hitter at best.

Pujols is a very passionate person. I don't think he's happy at all with how he has performed these past 2 years. He still showed plenty of pop left in the bat at times so a healthy season from him could look something like .280/.350/.500. 

No, that isn't worth the contract but it would be nice to have that kind of production next year.